Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > The Rickter Scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 PM

Show 184 - Magenta, Rebel Wheel, D.F.A.

airs Sunday June 29 from 8-11 PM EST and Monday June 30 8-11 PM EST

Another show of newer full-length releases. I've been promising some shows of various tunes, but new purchases and lack of time have dictated otherwise. Lots of things going on here on the home front conspiring to annoy me to no end, so just the basics...

Magenta - Metamorphosis (2008)

This is a return to the pre-Seven days, with two very long and two shorter songs. Best they've done since Seven was released.

The Rebel Wheel - Diagramma (2007)

Heard some of them at Rosfest, they played the after-hours party. I'm only halfway through it, but it's much different than I was expecting. Shades of NIN, Eno, a touch of jazz. The vocals are not as strong as I'd like, and the bass is turned up too much, but some good song structures and lots of twists and turns. Looking forward to hearing the rest and will report back.

D.F.A. - 4th (2008)

Hot off the presses. Of all I snagged at Nearfest this is the only one I listened to - an early (well not so early anymore) favorite for record of the year. Vocals on the last two songs, and it's more vibrant than anything they've done - and that's saying a lot. A must for your collection...

Maybe more later in the week, hope to catch you soon.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 06-25-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to lamour
Re: Show 184 - Magenta, Rebel Wheel, D.F.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
The Rebel Wheel - Diagramma (2007)

Heard some of them at Rosfest, they played the after-hours party. I'm only halfway through it, but it's much different than I was expecting. Shades of NIN, Eno, a touch of jazz. The vocals are not as strong as I'd like, and the bass is turned up too much, but some good song structures and lots of twists and turns. Looking forward to hearing the rest and will report back.
yeah, I talked to these guys a lot at rosfest. the album is almost a different band than the one that played. the biggest changes were that they picked up a newer (and much better, IMHO) drummer and the sax player had only joined the band about a month before the CD was cut, so she's only on the last 2 tracks, and even then, she's not used very well. By the time they got to rosfest, they'd rearranged most of their songs to better use the drummer and the sax player, and though I like the CD, I think what they played at rosfest was at least an order of magnitude better. I'm looking forward to their new album coming out to see if they can capture that sound on a recording. we'll see.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:40 AM

At first look I have read Rebel Yell...
Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamour View Post
yeah, I talked to these guys a lot at rosfest. the album is almost a different band than the one that played. the biggest changes were that they picked up a newer (and much better, IMHO) drummer and the sax player had only joined the band about a month before the CD was cut, so she's only on the last 2 tracks, and even then, she's not used very well. By the time they got to rosfest, they'd rearranged most of their songs to better use the drummer and the sax player, and though I like the CD, I think what they played at rosfest was at least an order of magnitude better. I'm looking forward to their new album coming out to see if they can capture that sound on a recording. we'll see.
Excellent, thanks! That helps - I thought it was markedly different, and the last two songs are all I have left to hear, so the "where's the sax" is resolved

Does sound like the songwriter is dominant...

the instrumental cut is nice
Old 06-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Re: Show 184 - Rebel Wheel, D.F.A., Brian Eno

Due to a request from the band that the full Magenta not be aired, I've decided to make a substitution. Sort of like they do at eating establishments.

I'll play one of the longer Magenta songs on an upcoming show, it's a fine record.

The new show/order is:

Rebel Wheel - Diagramma (2007)

D.F.A. - 4th (2008)

Brian Eno - Another Green World (1975)

(finally picked it up!)

Enjoy,

Rick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: