Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2006, 02:01 AM
KeithieW

Re: Guilty Pleasures!!!!!

Bread and David Gates...........stunning
America..........ditto

That inspired me to put the old vinyl on the turntable and spin them again.

"If a picture paints a thousand words.................."

I see the Doors mentioned a fair amount. What's guilty about the Doors? Crikey, I even go by the name "Maurice Jimson" when we do a Doors covers set.........now THAT is something to feel guilty about (but I don't )
Old 08-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by podakayne
who'll admit to liking "alone again naturally"

no one's admitted to ...Bread yeah Bread the group!
a few <snip>s in there. Alone Again Naturally I loved when I was in grade school, but I got over it. Good ole Gilbert O'Sullivan. How scary is that that I can remember his name?

Bread? Maybe I can top that - Cake's cover of "Guitar Man". I own two Cake albums and enjoy them quite a bit...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 AM

I discovered the electronic dance music, or club music, in the early 1990s, when I was a teenager. I've been at least somewhat interested in it ever since... on and off. Acid, house, "techno", trance, etc... that stuff.

I also often seem to like the old hippie/flower-power music whenever I hear it. I Have to buy some Melanie (Safka) someday. Gather Me is nice.

-Methem

Last edited by Methem : 08-02-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:41 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methem
I discovered the electronic dance music, or club music, in the early 1990s, when I was a teenager. I've been at least somewhat interested in it ever since... on and off. Acid, house, "techno", trance, etc... that stuff.

I also often seem to like the old hippie/flower-power music whenever I hear it. I Have to buy some Melanie (Safka) someday. Gather Me is nice.

-Methem
Agree about Melanie.....she's still playing the circuit here in the UK. I might be going to see her in a while with my old Hippy mate Steve.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW
Agree about Melanie.....she's still playing the circuit here in the UK. I might be going to see her in a while with my old Hippy mate Steve.

Her music sounds quite simple, but it's pretty and somehow genuine. My father has got GM as an old LP, so that's where I listen to it sometimes, at my parents.

-Methem
Old 08-03-2006, 11:44 AM

The Who, Journey, Tom Petty, Boston, The Eagles - none of these should be considered guilty pleasures! But Bee Gees, Michael Jackson, Aimee Man, Bangles, Bondie, Huey Lewis... WOW.

PS. I'm an ordained Baptist minister and I can't stomach Stryper. Moses, you really are suffering for the Lord

I'll have to add that I'm a sucker for Mary Chapin Carpenter. She's just anti-Nashville enough to earn my respect. Great singer and musician if you like that folkie-Americana stuff. Hunt down an mp3 of her version of the folk classic "Why Walk When You Can Fly?" or her own "I am a Town."
Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz
The Who, Journey, Tom Petty, Boston, The Eagles - none of these should be considered guilty pleasures! But Bee Gees, Michael Jackson, Aimee Man, Bangles, Bondie, Huey Lewis... WOW.

PS. I'm an ordained Baptist minister and I can't stomach Stryper. Moses, you really are suffering for the Lord
Except for the occasional joke, I'm recusing myself from any more "guilty pleasures" threads. your post exemplifies why.

How you can put Aimee Mann in with that crowd is beyond me. It's obvious you think of her as some bubble gum artist. Nothing could be further from the truth. You remind me of the guy in concert who was yelling for her to play "Time Stand Still". Like she's going to play a Rush song she spent a few lines singing on instead of her many songs (at an acoustic show with a piano and bassist no less). Go find any of her last six solo records and tell me with a straight face she is anywhere near those other groups. All you're doing is putting something you don't like as a guilty pleasure and something you do as not. WOW is right

Stryper is just a hair band that happens to have a lyrical content about religion. Just because you're religious doesn't mean that you will like Stryper. If you're not, you don't automatically hate them. "I'm an ordained Baptist minister and I can't stomach Stryper" sounds like...well I think you know what I'm implying.

It's wonderful that you have this jones for Journey. I was a teen when they turned from rock band to commercial pop machine. It wasn't pretty. Guilty I say!

Respond if you like, you may have the last word here.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 08-03-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:59 PM

damn, Spaz, for being so religious you sure are judgmental...
Old 08-03-2006, 03:07 PM

Rick, chill out man. Relax.

Roger, I'm not being judgemental here. This is a thread about musical guilty pleasures - which is all relative to taste - not about world events. I'm expressing my WOW reaction to someone liking those artists. That's all.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Progger since 1966

Hi Methem and KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW
1st, I saw 1971, and pleasure and had to reflect on my 18th year, sorry, not in the spirit here, I guess Im anti-negitivity, I just dont understand why we would want our worst music as RQs or hear the one thing that we should be embarrassed about enjoying, .........so

Methem, in the 70's I went to a 10 day Woodstock like Concert. Powder Ridge was cancelled by a Judge and all the acts cancelled because the court ordered no one could use the stage. 50 thousand still came for a weeklong festival.
One night at our Campfire, a young lady came and began to play to us acoustic.

Melanie was such a beautifull soul as she entertained us and then went on to another fire. ....Ill never forget her and this is not a guilty pleasure, just a pleasure

oh...Good Times, the '70s Ghetto Sitcom Theme

Last edited by sharcnorris : 08-04-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to kevishev Send a message via MSN to kevishev Send a message via Yahoo to kevishev Send a message via Skype™ to kevishev

I always wanted to bone the lead singer for the Bangles.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevishev
I always wanted to bone the lead singer for the Bangles.
Good ol kev, ok then sing with me....

"Walk with an erection"......

Susanna Hoffs has done some things with Matthew Sweet, another non-progger I like a lot. They were playing a singing couple in one of the Austin Powers movies also...

Sharc..."temporary layoffs, easy credit ripoffs, ain't we lucky we got em, good times"

ok that was the "occasional joke"..
Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 AM

Re: Hi Methem and KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharcnorris
1st, I saw 1971, and pleasure and had to reflect on my 18th year, sorry, not in the spirit here, I guess Im anti-negitivity, I just dont understand why we would want our worst music as RQs or hear the one thing that we should be embarrassed about enjoying, .........so
I actually mostly took this thread as an opportunity to say, "oh, and I also like this and this stuff, in addition to prog. rock." No big feelings of guilt here -- except over some of that dance stuff.

Quote:
Methem, in the 70's I went to a 10 day Woodstock like Concert. Powder Ridge was cancelled by a Judge and all the acts cancelled because the court ordered no one could use the stage. 50 thousand still came for a weeklong festival.
One night at our Campfire, a young lady came and began to play to us acoustic.

Melanie was such a beautifull soul as she entertained us and then went on to another fire. ....Ill never forget her and this is not a guilty pleasure, just a pleasure
Thanks for the recollection, sharc. Sounds great. I saw this on Wikipedia: "In 1970 Melanie was the only artist to brave the court injunction banning the Powder Ridge Rock Festival and played for the crowd on a homemade stage powered by Mr. Softie trucks."

Hey, Rick, some day you need to do a show on Airplane and those other like-minded artists from that era...

-Methem
Old 08-04-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methem
I actually mostly took this thread as an opportunity to say, "oh, and I also like this and this stuff, in addition to prog. rock."
Hey, Rick, some day you need to do a show on Airplane and those other like-minded artists from that era...

-Methem
Good point. To me, a guilty pleasure is not necessarily liking Barry Manilow, it's wanting to see Barry in a tutu.

I did do a show of old stuff some time ago (Airplane, Cream, etc) and Cozy did a great show of more obscure artists (surprise!)....

However, there is another "old school" show in the works, and I know of one live Airplane song to be included. Consult your local listings...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll
I did do a show of old stuff some time ago (Airplane, Cream, etc) and Cozy did a great show of more obscure artists (surprise!)....
Guess I've missed those. I do remember you playing a couple of songs by Hot Tuna in one of your shows...

-Methem
Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll
Matthew Sweet, another non-progger I like a lot.
He's had some Roger Dean inspired cover art, though.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz
I think I figured why this post elicited a reaction Spaz. I thought about it awhile, becuase I've posted a "WOW" thought (American Idol) and some support (Cult et. al.), but no one took offense at my posts. I hope it's not because I'm the "program director" - if I say something stupid or inappropriate, I want people to call me on it! I think the difference is that you've made no secret in the past of your love of those bands, especially Journey and Petty, but the others as well. So even if you didn't mean it as such, your post READS as if you're saying "If I like it it's not a guilty pleasure, but if I don't it is." I'm not complaining about your post, but putting a thought out there as to why it wasn't taken so well. For the record, I have 4 Aimee Mann albums, and I like them better than anything Journey did with Steve Perry. So there!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:32 PM

And I have mp3s of the Michael Jackson songs "Thriller" and "Beat It" (but can't take him as a whole).

It's always hard to get tone and inflection from the written word unless one is purposefully constructing it that way. In a message board form, there's no edit time, etc. If people knew me they'd know I'm a mellow guy. I've got strong opinions, yeah, but so do most folks here. Nothing wrong with that. And I understand your thought about "your post READS as if you're saying "If I like it it's not a guilty pleasure, but if I don't it is."" But hey, I've listed things I like and fully admit they're a guilty pleasure! Roxette! Hello?!? And there are things I don't like that I don't consider guilty pleasures. I'm not an AC/DC or Van Halen fan, but if someone said here it's a guilty pleasure, I'd be puzzled why they say that. Above I was expressing WOW about prog people liking Huey Lewis and Bangles, not in a "WOW, that's sad" sense but a "WOW, that's surprising sense." And I was saying that I'm surprised anyone would consider claiming Boston or The Who as guilty pleasures. Hoping that clears things up.

If not...
Old 08-04-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim
if I say something stupid or inappropriate, I want people to call me on it!

So even if you didn't mean it as such, your post READS as if you're saying "If I like it it's not a guilty pleasure, but if I don't it is."

For the record, I have 4 Aimee Mann albums, and I like them better than anything Journey did with Steve Perry. So there!

It's just that there's so much to choose from Jim, to call you on it would be time consuming!

That's how I read it too. Methem had it right in his post. And I really think Guilty Pleasure is a misnomer...

I'm still peeved about the Aimee Mann thing. Not comparable to the Bangles or Huey, sorry.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim
Lawrence Welk? That's so bad it's almost cool.
I can live with that.
I stand vindicated.

Seriously...can you imagine being a teenager, standing on stage w/
2000 in the audience, 20,000,000 watching, belting your
ass off...? Despite the image of the show, hats off to those kids.

Btw- Zenpool charted #4 on American Idol Underground's
Classical chart a few months ago.

K

www.cdbaby.com/zenpool
available at itunes, toweronline, bestbuyonline,
sony direct, rhapsody, loudeye...
IOMA award winner "best producer"2004

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: