Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2006, 07:15 PM
KeithieW

Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman.

Just got back from a wonderful gig.

First the Set list:

Intro New song Untitled
Yours is no Disgrace
New Song... Wonderous Stories
Time and a Word (Reggae Version)
New Song The Garden
South side of the Sky
Awaken

INTERVAL

JA. Set Sail
JA. Revealing Science of God
JA. Give Love Each Day
JA. Nous Sommes du Soleil
RW. Nursery Rhymes Concerto
RW. Katherine Howard
RW. Eleanor Rigby (a la PROKOVIEV)
And You and I
Turn of the Century
Owner of a Lonely Heart
Sweet Dreams
New Song Deeper Love

ENCORE

Roundabout
The Meeting

The new songs all sounded beautiful. I hope they release them officially and it was good to hear New/old/new/old for the first part. The new song called Garden is one of the most wonderful lyrics I've heard in ages....very Jon! Full of Love and hope and then more love. His wife Jane was there (she's ALWAYS there, which is delightful) and he kept looking up at her and smiling. It's nice to witness two way love like that.

Their arrangement of South Side of the Sky was amazing. It really showed what a fine pianist Rick is and to hear a Reggae version of Time and a Word? It worked I tell you!!! Then a masterpiece. Awaken arranged for Piano, guitar and voice....THAT voice. Stunning!!!!!

There was a 20 minute interval after that. Jon said it was to go for Tea and Biscuits but Rick summed up what most of the audience were feeling in that it was because of Prostate problems and we old farts needed a wee.

After the interval Jon came back on his own and did some lovely tunes including a song I've always wanted to hear him sing live......Give love each day from the Magnification album. Stripped down to just acoustic guitar and THAT voice it sounded heavenly. Of course, your humble correspondent started to transcend when he sang "Hold me my love, hold me today, call me 'round...........".

Rick's solo pieces were very classically oriented. Nursury Rhymes done in the style of other composers. It worked and you could pick out the styles too. Catherine Howard is a song we're used to hearing but not like this with just a solo piano. Brilliant!!! and Eleanor Rigby done as if Prokofiev had written it showed what a sensational song old Macca wrote.

A few more Yes numbers and then the encores Roundabout (naturally) and The Meeting...one of the lovliest songs that Jon and Rick have ever written.

It's odd but it seems that when the two of them are together the moment just gels into music making of the highest order. They are comfortable in one anothers company and that makes for a relaxed gig. Jon forgot the words a few times but it mattered not a jot. They just laughed and carried on. Rick told some of his terrible jokes (even worse than our own Rick ) and pretended to "flash" at Jon's wife as they left the stage.

We had a great evening and if the pair of them are visiting your neck of the woods GO AND SEE THEM!!!!!

Terrific entertainment.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Progger since 1966

Re: Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman.

Thx Keithie, Having seen Ricks Piano Tour last summer, I can only imagine the addition of that voice- Cheers to Giants in the World of Prog.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
terrible jokes (even worse than our own Rick )
I hate to seize on this one insignificant comment, but c'mon. If you want us to believe your review, you have to leave the extreme fiction far behind...
Old 10-21-2006, 08:30 AM

Was it just RW on piano? Did JA hit a tamborine or play acoustic guitar? ok I see guitar on awaken....
Old 10-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to rick_wakeman Send a message via Yahoo to rick_wakeman

mm?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: