Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2006, 08:02 PM

Shut down progarchives

It is my sad duty, but someone really has to, i've been a member of prog archives, a site which has lost its way a bit on the prog scene, apparently there is a boyband prog section.

I'm all fo r prog, but when heavy metal with keyboards suddenly becomes prog i get annoyed, a do i with most American AOR music. It is not prog, now or forever.

Also, you are not allowed to make true statements about your country and the isolationists who live there, apparently it is not pc.

Anyway, this site looks good, progarchives is beginning to look it's age.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:51 PM

Re: Shut down progarchives

????? I sometimes get info about a record like the year or personnel fro there. Nothing more. I never read the reviews. What for?

What does it matter that they include bands you don't like? Is it "AOR", "metal with keyboards", or "boy bands"? What is one such band you mean?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your post.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to rick_wakeman Send a message via Yahoo to rick_wakeman

there is a recrudescence of what they call "prog related" band reviews. Iron Maiden is having tremendous reviews posts whereas a lot of true prog rock bands are missing. This site is the one to use if you're looking for prog rock info or band. But the fact that some bands that really has NOTHING to see with prog are in there is weird, because this site used to be the premier reference in all prog rock style. I wanted to send messages to some reviewers there after registering, but it's not working.

They are now using a google platform, this is a bad change too.

Progarchive is to be the net's progressive rock encyclopedia universalis, but it seems many registered users should get out from there.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_wakeman View Post
there is a recrudescence of what they call "prog related" band reviews. Iron Maiden is having tremendous reviews posts whereas a lot of true prog rock bands are missing. This site is the one to use if you're looking for prog rock info or band. But the fact that some bands that really has NOTHING to see with prog are in there is weird, because this site used to be the premier reference in all prog rock style. I wanted to send messages to some reviewers there after registering, but it's not working.

Progarchive is to be the net's progressive rock encyclopedia universalis, but it seems many registered users should get out from there.
ok that explains things....maybe it's because I only use it for the basic info I mentioned. I still cringe, however, about why people get so upset about a band like Iron Maiden. They have prog elements, are hardworking, and remain true to their sound. I don't think anyone's being missed because of them. They're just being missed because no one has time to include them. it's really two separate issues.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Banned

Talking Re: Shut down progarchives

what about madonna
Old 10-29-2006, 09:14 AM

Madonna is NOT on Progarchives (just checked).

Also, remember guys that PA is user-contribution-based, which means that people will pretty much just write about what they like or have interest in; this is most probably the reason as for why some bands are not there.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksun View Post
Madonna is NOT on Progarchives (just checked).

Also, remember guys that PA is user-contribution-based, which means that people will pretty much just write about what they like or have interest in; this is most probably the reason as for why some bands are not there.
Thanks, Hawk. Is the bio and discography user-contributed also? I would check, but I only use it for basic info. Some older bands (and even newer ones) do not have working web sites.

So to reiterate my position, if the bio/disc info is contributed and accurate it's a good thing. If you're looking for reviews...there's plenty of other places.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Banned

one, two, threeee heavy metal (sorry, "prog related") reviews might be there considered. (prog related = not prog at all here). Now can anyone tell me why the hell i saw every day dozens of new articles about that band?

Iron Maiden is not prog at all. Now, frustrated guys invaded PA with their reviews, thinking that since .01% peep in the world listen to prog rock, they can use it as a chiotte. Pity, really.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:04 PM

Wow, this thread frightened me at first. I love ProgArchives - I go there frequently to learn about artists I've recently heard about (whether hearing a track here on the Moon or elsewhere). As long as it's covering the core of prog and has a good breadth of material, what is there to complain about? I think it's a great site. Any site with user contributions is going to range afield of what any particular person thinks is "prog", but I don't think that's a bad thing.

And honestly, the first time I heard Madonna's "Don't Tell Me" - having no idea who the artist was until after the song was over - it sounded rather neo-proggy to me. Even mainstream pop artists can make good music.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:03 PM

I love Progarchives - the site. Forum looks too big for me.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to VERNIXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rawdon View Post
Wow, this thread frightened me at first. I love ProgArchives - I go there frequently to learn about artists I've recently heard about (whether hearing a track here on the Moon or elsewhere). As long as it's covering the core of prog and has a good breadth of material, what is there to complain about? I think it's a great site. Any site with user contributions is going to range afield of what any particular person thinks is "prog", but I don't think that's a bad thing.

And honestly, the first time I heard Madonna's "Don't Tell Me" - having no idea who the artist was until after the song was over - it sounded rather neo-proggy to me. Even mainstream pop artists can make good music.

Well put! I totally agree.......

Last edited by VERNIXX : 10-31-2006 at 07:42 PM. Reason: content
Old 11-01-2006, 09:04 PM

progarchives is great when you hear some band that sounds good to you and you want to find out more about the band. I mean really, who cares if Madonna is listed (is she?)? The point is that I can find out what albums anybody in which I might be interested has put out if they are listed there. I really don't care who's listed there, nor do I care whether they are "prog" (tho most probably are), the great thing about that site is you can find out about the recordings (which may or may not still be available) of some band you've missed until now. I think it's a great resource no? I just went there after having been away for a while, and for a second I didn't like that one needed to know what genre of prog the band you were looking for fit in, but it took me about all of 5 seconds to figure out that the new search interface allowed one to go back to the alphabetical list or use the genre list or others. The "switch index" link is key and it's a great addition to the site IMHO, now if your just interested in somebody's characterization of Canterbury for example you can get that list. Anyway, I don't understand any angst directed toward the site regarding who is included as prog, everybody's definition differs from my experience.

Last edited by jtmckinley : 11-01-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 PM

I used it as a resource tonight for my show thread.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

IM again?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:46 PM

Here's what's wrong with Progarchives. It needs an editor. I appreciate that many of its writers don't speak English as a first language, but sometimes understanding the reviews is a chore.

Here's an example. The first paragraph of a review on some recently-released Yes compilation:

"Normally the compilation produced for the large distribution is not worthy of highs voes. This of the series "The Solid Gold Collection" of the Union Square Music Ltd. no! Be is compiled with a very simple criteron: Old pieces from "Live From The House Of Blues" and the songs of the lasts studio albums because this recordings in except onerous of those of the Atlanticfor right of the author. In this manner we pay this compilation maximum €10 and the classics of a really sole band is here!"

Huh?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:09 PM

Good point PFD...

Cue the broken record...

This stuff should only be used for track and discography info.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:49 PM

Maybe the older members here will remember me because I'm not posting here for lack of time for a long period but I was a very frequent poster.

Well, I feel in the duty to reply two posts because are full of inaccurate statements that go against a site in which I have the honor to collaborate in charge of the Symphonic Prog section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecraft View Post
It is my sad duty, but someone really has to, i've been a member of prog archives, a site which has lost its way a bit on the prog scene, apparently there is a boyband prog section.

I'm all fo r prog, but when heavy metal with keyboards suddenly becomes prog i get annoyed, a do i with most American AOR music. It is not prog, now or forever.

Also, you are not allowed to make true statements about your country and the isolationists who live there, apparently it is not pc.

Anyway, this site looks good, progarchives is beginning to look it's age.
1.- There's no boys band section, the administrators and Collaborators take good care of verifying which bands are inducted to the site and which are not, people as David Bowie have been proposed several times and rejected several times also despite they could be added.

2.- There's a Sub-Genre called Prog Metal, a sub-genre that is not my favorite but I respect a lot, there's a team of capable members who add the bands they believe are 100% PROG METAL, surely I don't agree with a few, probably because I don't know a damn thing about Prog Metal, but I'm sure they are absolutely careful with which bands they add as my team and myself are absolutely careful with which bands we add to Symphonic.

3.- There are no AOR bands in Prog Archives except STYX which is mentioned in most sites as being at least related to Prog during the first two albums and if I know which was your nick in Prog Archives, I'm sure you refer to Kansas which is a 100% PROGRESSIVE ROCK band recognized in each and every Prog site as well as in each piece of Prog literature.

4.- You are not allowed to make statements about your country??????? I talk about my country (Perú) each time I want, i seen posts from members of Chile, Argentina, USA, Canada, Brazil, Venezuela, Japan, Hungary, all Europe and the rest of the world talking about their own countries when they want, AS LONG AS THEY DO IT IN THE PROPER FORUM.

I don't know if the author of this post has been banned or maybe is angry because nobody cares about his posts, but speaking lies about another site is not a good presentation card to a new site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_wakeman View Post

1.- Yes, we added a category called Prog Related, but we are specific about which bands have to be added there and that THIS BANDS ARE NOT PROG.

Quote:
Prog Related definition
Rock and Pop Bands and Artists after 1970 who were not truly “prog” (as that term is generally and broadly defined, even by the site), but who were clearly not “mainstream” or simply “rock” bands.

A wide subgenre that encompasses two kinds of bands/artist, that either consist of progressive artist that strayed away from their progressive roots into mainstream rock or were influenced by progressive rock.

Even though the music by these artists is sometimes unrelated it had things in common with prog music in that it was very structured and even adventurous, sometimes hard or heavy, sometimes mellow, strong melodies, good hooks are an integral part of most of the material. Sometimes these artists pioneered other rock genres.

Though most of these artist can't really be considered progressive themselves, their relation to progressive music is not to be underestimated.

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=38

In other words, we are talking about NON PROG BANDS that have some Prog elements or have collaborated in the development of Progressive Rock.

Nobody can deny that Alan Parsons had at least one 100% Prog album (If not two) called "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" or STYX with STYX I which had a lot of Prog elements.

Nobody can deny the importance of Peter Gabriel in Progressive Rock evolution or even ASIA in the survival of the genre during the 80's.

Well, all this bands and artists who are not 100% PROG are in Prog Related.

2.- IRON MAIDEN: This band has been added after years of fight into Prog Related, not because we believe they are Prog (Despite songs like Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" or albums like "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" that are Prog IMO, but because they set the bases for what we know today as Prog Metal.

Almost every Prog Metal band names Iron Maiden as one of their influences and so they deerve to be mentioned there.

3.- Now the author of the second post talks about the reviews.......Well Prog Archives is an open source for reviews, we decide which bands are included and the members and/or visitors of all nations, races and creeds make the reviews of any album listed in our data base, sometimes we collaborators or even the administrators and owners make reviews, but we don't tell people "hey don't review that album", by the contrary, they see the database and add their review that we won't delete unless it's offensive or goes against the guidelines of the site.

Sorry for kidnapping your thread but it was necessary to leave some things clear.

Iván

EDIT: Read a post about some reviews being written using bad English....IT'S TRUE, but we don't touch the reviews made by visitors or members unless they are offensive and/or against the guidelines and/or are fanboyish reviews like "X band is the best in the world and this is my favorite album, everybody has to love it".

PA is an open source for people of all the world and some have limitations in their English including myself being Peruvian and mainly Spanish speaker.

PA doesn't own the reviews (The guidelines clearly express that the reviews are owned by their authors and for that reason responsible for what they say) and we believe it's a disrespect for any visitor to edit his/her review, we limit the reviews to English, so we must accept that some people don't have proficiency in the language.

EDIT 2: No Madonna is not listed in ProgArchives LMAO

Last edited by ivan_2068 : 11-14-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_2068 View Post
Maybe the older members here will remember me becauise I'm not being posting here for lack of time for a long period.

Sorry for kidnapping your thread but it was necessary to leave some things clear.

Iván
It's always good to hear from you, Ivan, and you can't kidnap a thread...it belongs to everyone.

Thanks for an excellent post.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks Rick, I'll try to visit the site more frequently and believe me I would make a similar post if somebody gave inaccurate info about Aural Moon despite I'm not a frequent poster since a long time.

BTW: Did you got all the Peruvian Prog albums I wrote about? Believe you bought Sorpresa del Tiempo.

Iván
Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_2068 View Post
Thanks Rick, I'll try to visit the site more frequently and believe me I would make a similar post if somebody gave inaccurate info about Aural Moon despite I'm not a frequent poster since a long time.

BTW: Did you got all the Peruvian Prog albums I wrote about? Believe you bought Sorpresa del Tiempo.

Iván
Actually I don't think I did. If you can find the post again I'll check it out. If they're on my space that would be also very cool.

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: