Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2005, 02:35 AM

Simon Apple

Hi Gang!

I'm a long time Genesis, Gabriel fanatic. I've recently become obsessed with a relatively new ProgRock group called Simon Apple, who I found about from a Genesis yahoo group I belong to.

I saw a note on these boards from "Moses" who gave it a positive mention and I'd recommend it to all. How does one go about trying to get something from a group added to the Aural Moon play list?

Their latest CD, "River to the Sea", is wonderful and has an incredible lineup of guest stars, including Bassist Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, John Lennon, Pink Floyd) Guitarist Buck Dharma (Blue Oyster Cult) Saxophonist John Helliwell (Supertramp) Cellist Hugh McDowell (Electric Light Orchestra), and Bassist Steve Rodby (Pat Metheny Group).

The album was mixed by Grammy-winning engineer, David Leonard (Paul McCartney, Rush, Prince, Santana, Toto, Chick Corea, Barenaked Ladies, etc).

If anyone wants to give them a listen, head on over to www.simonapple.com

Keep in touch,

STERN
Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses
I second...

This is exactly what needs to be done to suggest a band for inclusion on the playlist. Good job, and welcome to the moon!

I heartily second the Simon Apple suggestion. Or, if Stern said I suggested them earlier, then he's seconding and I'm thirding, if that's legal. I saw the post and wondered why I hadn't mentioned them here before. Perhaps I did.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:27 AM

Hi Moses.

Thanks for responding. I've listened on and off to Aural Moon for the past 5 years or so (ever since they were first listed on the iTunes radio stations). But this was the first time I've actually posted anything. Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm pleased to have found a kindred spirit here in you (and I'm sure many others). You're even from the same State I am (although my first 30 years was spent in NJ).

Do you have Simon Apple's newest CD? Does anyone else? I've really attached to it and I've even gotten two of my sons enjoying it too. I'd love to talk to some of you about it.

Since you brought up the subject of Christian Progressive Rock (Cprog? Is that the formal term?), I was wondering if you've ever heard of http://www.prog4you.com or heard one of the two compliation allbums at http://www.cprogrock.com/cprvolume2.html ?

Keep in touch and Godspeed.
STERN
Old 08-22-2005, 11:00 AM

Simon Apple

I do indeed have River To the Sea. Unfortunately, that's the only one I have by them at this time... But I bought two copies - does that count? I gave one to my brother and he enjoys it also.

Easton, PA - I think that's a lot closer to where Simon Apple is from than me. I know they don't do a lot of live shows but have you managed to catch any of their shows?

As for CProg (I think a lot of people who are aware of it use that term anyway) I do have CPR vol. 1 but I haven't picked up vol 2 yet because I already own so many of the CDs the songs are from.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:06 AM

Thanks

Hey Stern.
Thanks for the lead. I'm looking forward to checking them out. Sounds like some line up of musicians too.
-scott
Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Owner/Program Director

I'm checking them out right now.

Easton, PA? Know it well, I used to live in Hunterdon County, NJ, just across the river. If you know Hampton (SMALL town), I lived in the sticks near it.

I live in San Diego now, which I have to say I like better than rural New Jersey...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:22 PM

River to the Sea is the best CD to start with... especially since it features the band's new singer, Dan Merrill, who really contributes with a very strong voice and some impressive songwriting skills too. Their ealier work is also good... one song "Pink Elephants" always intrigued me because it reminded me of Adrian Belew's guitar work, making animal sounds!

I did catch them live at last year's Musikfest in Bethlehem and really loved the show (despite all the rain). I'm hopeful to maybe see them in September when they play a gig in Allentown. They're based out of Reading PA. Their talented keyboardist is the true band leader and their drummer has a terrific knack for lyrics, plus he shows a strong Rush influence in this drumming style.

I really love the very subtle, but positive Christian message of hope that comes out of the new CD, plus the musicianship is just outstanding. John Helliwell's (Supertramp) sax work is great on one song, and I love the guitar work by the guy from Blue Oyster Cult on another. '

If anyone gets this CD, I'd love to hear your reactions after a few listens.

STERN
Old 08-22-2005, 12:25 PM

progdirjim - I actually live in Bethlehem Twp, which is a growing suburban sprawl between the cities of Easton and Bethlehem, PA. Every inch of forest and farmland is being carved out for developments and stores, so the area I'm in is feeling more like suburban Central Jersey than the rural Western Jersey of Hunterdon that you remember!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sternzbt
I really love the very subtle, but positive Christian message of hope
is it Christian, or is it just positive and hopeful? makes a difference to some.

in other words, does it mention Jesus, or just that man's message, without reference?

not trying to start any religious discussion, truly, just asking.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Since you brought up the subject of Christian Progressive Rock (Cprog? Is that the formal term?), I was wondering if you've ever heard of http://www.prog4you.com or heard one of the two compliation allbums at http://www.cprogrock.com/cprvolume2.html ?

STERN
Prog4you, run by George Roldan? Absolutely. A great guy. Are you walking or driving to Nearfest?

By the way.....everyone please don't take Godspeed the wrong way....(it's an intersting term around the Moon)
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 PM

Roger --

Well honestly, until a few years ago I would have probably been turned off by an overtly Christian lyric, having been born a Jew, but now a converted Catholic! These days I actually really enjoy Christian Contemporary music now (and listen to it more than anything else) thanks to a great station that I found in New Jersey (was WAWZ-FM 99.1, but now known as Star 99.1) right at the time I was contemplating my conversion. So when I heard the Christian references in Simon Apple, it really took me by surprise, but in a very good way. They are a progressive band that happens to be Christian, not vice versa. Christ's name is not in the lyrics, but in a few tracks his message rings through....not in a hokey or corny way, but in a thought provoking, optimistic way that modern music seems to lack these days. The other thing I really enjoy about the band is their sense of humor about themselves... there are definitely a number Monty Python fans in the group!

STERN
Old 08-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Christ's name is not in the lyrics, but in a few tracks his message rings through....not in a hokey or corny way, but in a thought provoking, optimistic way that modern music seems to lack these days.
thanks, Stern. and welcome to the moon.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:29 PM

Subtle

Indeed. While some might see that they took the hymn "Take My Life" and progified it and think that they must be an over-the-top, in-your-face, other-hypenated-terms Christian band; their other lyrics are actually *very* subtle. On some of them you might have to be actively looking for the Christian message in order to find it, and even then you might not.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:30 PM

Anyone have a clue why the ID and password I created work for this forum, but don't seem to work for the main Aural Moon website?

Also, how long do you think it will take if I make a request to hear the Live version of "Fools Overture" by Supertamp (one of my fave Prog tunes of all time). I'm going to give it a try!

STERN
Old 08-22-2005, 01:57 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Quote:
Hi Moses.

Thanks for responding. I've listened on and off to Aural Moon for the past 5 years or so (ever since they were first listed on the iTunes radio stations). But this was the first time I've actually posted anything. Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm pleased to have found a kindred spirit here in you (and I'm sure many others). You're even from the same State I am (although my first 30 years was spent in NJ).

Do you have Simon Apple's newest CD? Does anyone else? I've really attached to it and I've even gotten two of my sons enjoying it too. I'd love to talk to some of you about it.

STERN
Prog4You is George Roldanof Rights Of Spring fame.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Quote:
River to the Sea is the best CD to start with... especially since it features the band's new singer, Dan Merrill, who really contributes with a very strong voice and some impressive songwriting skills too. Their ealier work is also good... one song "Pink Elephants" always intrigued me because it reminded me of Adrian Belew's guitar work, making animal sounds!

I did catch them live at last year's Musikfest in Bethlehem and really loved the show (despite all the rain). I'm hopeful to maybe see them in September when they play a gig in Allentown. They're based out of Reading PA. Their talented keyboardist is the true band leader and their drummer has a terrific knack for lyrics, plus he shows a strong Rush influence in this drumming style.

I really love the very subtle, but positive Christian message of hope that comes out of the new CD, plus the musicianship is just outstanding. John Helliwell's (Supertramp) sax work is great on one song, and I love the guitar work by the guy from Blue Oyster Cult on another. '

If anyone gets this CD, I'd love to hear your reactions after a few listens.

STERN
Hey Stern... I was born and raised in Neffs, Pa (Schnecksville RD#1). I I know A-town, Easton, Reading... Lehigh Valley area quite well.

Let me know when and where these guys are playing in Sept. I'll go check them out. Hopefully, it's not the weekend of 9/11...

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 08-22-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Anyone have a clue why the ID and password I created work for this forum, but don't seem to work for the main Aural Moon website?
it's two different databases(I think...), hence two separate logins... you'll have to register for the frontpage...
but use the same loginname and pass and you're all set!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:57 PM

VAX-man:

Simon Apple - upcoming free live performances:

September 17 Allentown, PA.
"Mayfair Festival of the Arts presents Wegmans
Taste of the Valley 2005 Culinary Festival"
Dan solo acoustic show @ 2:30pm
Full Simon Apple show @ 8:30pm
Free admission. (Outdoor show)
Cedar Beach Park/Ott & Hamilton Streets
Directions: http://www.wine-dine.org/directions.html

September 24 Philadelphia, PA at World Cafe Live (Upstairs)
Promptly starting at 7pm. Free admission
Directions/Parking Info: http://www.worldcafelive.com/directioninfo.html

October 2 Womelsdorf, PA at Bethany Children's Home
3pm. Free admission (Outdoor show)
Directions: http://www.bethanyhome.org/Directions.htm
Old 08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Patron

Thumbs up hey i've heard these guys somewhere

dont know where...but thank you very much sternzbt for pointing them out...i've got the link now and love that part of the proceeds will be going for a great cause....oh and welcome to Aural Moon.

podakayne
very
Old 08-23-2005, 03:52 PM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
VAX-man:

Simon Apple - upcoming free live performances:

September 17 Allentown, PA.
"Mayfair Festival of the Arts presents Wegmans
Taste of the Valley 2005 Culinary Festival"
Dan solo acoustic show @ 2:30pm
Full Simon Apple show @ 8:30pm
Free admission. (Outdoor show)
Cedar Beach Park/Ott & Hamilton Streets
Directions: http://www.wine-dine.org/directions.html
Cool. My HS held a class reunion at Cedar Beach Park... I think it was my 10th reunion.

Quote:
September 24 Philadelphia, PA at World Cafe Live (Upstairs)
Promptly starting at 7pm. Free admission
Directions/Parking Info: http://www.worldcafelive.com/directioninfo.html
World Cafe Live is really excellent place. It's just about 1 yr old now. Marillion did an acoustic gig there just about 2 months ago.

Let me see how Sept. pans out... Maybe we can get together for one of these gigs.

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: