Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 PM

Smile Decemberists

Hope I'm doing this correctly. Since the end of the Golden Age of progressive music (c.1975) the record companies have held strict control over the kind of music that got out. Now, we are in a new age, and band are discovering that they can do whatever they like. Radiohead, for example, has recorded some great and original music, especially on OK Computer and Kid A. The Decemberists have been a very interesting and exciting band. "Island" is a classic-sounding prog tune while remaining fresh and identifiable as Decemberists. "The Mariner's Revenge" is remarkable in several different ways, not least the brilliant lyrics. And if an 18-20 minute epic is required, listen to "Tain," sure to please proggers if only for the Hammond organ sound.

mello tron
Old 02-26-2009, 05:35 AM

Re: Decemberists

I would like to echo Mello's comments. I have heard a couple of Decembrist's CD's and saw them on Austin City Limits. While not strictly prog - they have some very interesting music.

ProgDrJim - have you heard of them? What is your ruling? Are they worthy of being included on Aural Moon?

Thanks in advance for giving them a listen.

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 AM

Last.fm describe The Decembrists as Folk - Rock. The vocals and the use of instruments such as mandolin and dulcimer certainly give them that sound.

As for Radiohead, there is only one song on the playlist by them the last time I looked. Thats "Paranoid Android" which is a great track. Its hard to categorise Radiohead, they are usually grouped as Alternative / Indie but it would certainly be nice to have some more stuff by them.

Regards from the UK
Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

I like the Decemberists - but I could not agree with them being here on the moon, with possibly the exception of the longer instrumental. They are just on the other side of Indie for me.

And you know me, I'm pretty loose and easy with it comes to definitions.
I would much rather see MUSE on the moon, and maybe some Flaming Lips.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Great band i own their debut n second Cd, not prog though....although they do have a Hammond !
Yet seek no vain conclusions . . . . . .

~Peter Sinfield, 'Still'~
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Muse, and some Flaming Lips, I could see.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Owner/Program Director

I have The Tain and Picaresque and have considered adding a couple of tunes. Stay tuned...
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Wink Re: Decemberists

They may not be prog, strictly speaking. But that label is less useful today, when sharp distinctions become less evident. "Creative music" might be a more pragmatic label. Progressive is, as I understand it, anti-pop. It demands at least some of the following: great musicianship, key changes, odd time signatures, no set time limits on songs. My point is that a lot of bands today do not fit the label "prog," but have many of the qualities we look for in progressive music. I think The Decemberists fit the bill. Certainly much of their stuff is closer to prog than Peter Gabriel, post Gabriel/hackett Genesis, Asia, and much else played on the Moon. And I think any attempt to keep the Moon's programming "pure" has gone by the wayside. Santana, Miles Davis, Return to Forever, Dixie Dregs, all of which are played here, would not be called prog by anyone, I think. Well, that's my argument. Now can someone explain why the first album of French, Frith Kaiser and Thompson is not here?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: