Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Magenta & Godsticks at the CRS, Wath on Dearne, Yorkshire

Magenta and Godsticks at the Classic Rock Society, Wath on Dearne, Yorkshire, England.

The evening started with a word from Classic Rock Society director and Summer’s End Festival organiser Stephen Lambe who told us that the Society were entering a new era as long term Managing Director Martin Hudson had stepped down earlier this year. He also asked everybody to keep supporting the Society through these difficult financial times and keep good live rock music alive.

Godsticks kicked off the evening, this band from Cardiff who were originally a three piece outfit have now recently added a fourth member in guitarist Richard Davies. The band play the Summer’s End Festival in just five weeks on October 10th 2009, so it was a bit of a surprise when vocalist Darran Charles announced that this was the bands first ever gig. They looked a bit nervous understandably as they started their 40 minute set but soon got into their stride with the sound of Jason Marsh’s fretless bass giving the music an distinctive sound. Godsticks played all five tracks from their well received 2008 EP which is on the Moon play list (see review here http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=7652) including the strangely titled “Puppy Gardener” with Darran Charles saying there is a story behind the title, but he did not elaborate. A new track entitled “Norman” was also played as was a Frank Zappa instrumental track but I missed the title of that. There has been talk of the band adding a keyboard player to expand their sound, Charles does play piano but obviously this presents difficulties live (as he is the main guitarist) and a keyboard player would certainly add another aspect to the bands output. The band announced they will hopefully be bringing out a full length CD in 2010 and by their own admission are a little short of material at present although they will be doing a longer set at Summer’s End so they must have other songs at the ready. Godsticks … I enjoyed them and I look forward to that CD in 2010 … and I hope you like them at Summer’s End.

Ever enthusiastic CRS director Steve Tomlin introduced Magenta. This is Magenta’s third visit to the Society this year, they seemed to have a bit of an affinity with South Yorkshire and always get a good reception from the fans. The band Thieves Kitchen were originally scheduled to perform on this date but Phil Mercy’s hand injury has stopped the band playing live in 2009 and gave Magenta the chance to hone their performance before next Sundays performance at the FMPM Festival in Montreal, Canada.

The band kicked off with “The Ballad Of Samuel Layne”, “Speechless”, and “Gluttony” and included material from all four of their studio albums throughout the performance. As usual the band gave an excellent live concert with Christina sounding great and doing all the usual banter with the crowd. Guitarist Chris Fry played to the gallery (he had his own personal fan club at the front of the stage !!!!!!) he’s a fine guitarist but lets not forget Colin Edwards playing solidly and chipping in with some great solos of his own. Keyboard wiz Rob Reed was at his usual high standard with Christina saying “Ah he’s shy, all geniuses are shy” when he refused to introduce a song near the end of the set. The gig continued with “Demons”, “Envy”, "I'm Alive", "Broken", "Anger" and the 23 minute long “Metamorphosis”. Bass player Dan Fry had problems with his equipment near the conclusion of the concert and in the end had to call it a day, this necessitated a change of songs with “Pride” being dropped and being replaced by “King Of The Skies” because it had less bass !!. However the band did perform the end section of "Pride" when they can back for an encore (without a bass player).

I’ve seen comments on various forums that Magenta are one of the weaker acts at next weeks FMPM Festival, something I find surprising. On this performance they should impress. It will be interesting to see the reviews after FMPM .. Magenta should blow everybody’s socks off.

There are four photographs from the gig attached, they are not particularly good quality (not allowed to use flash) but they are better than nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Godsticks 1.jpg (1.29 MB, 639 views)
File Type: jpg Richard Davies - Godsticks.jpg (756.2 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg Magenta 1.jpg (1.18 MB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg Magenta 2.jpg (1.50 MB, 642 views)

I slide between the waves
And ride the frequency alone

IQ
Old 09-08-2009, 08:29 PM
KeithieW

Re: Magenta & Godsticks at the CRS, Wath on Dearne, Yorkshire

Thanks for the review SK. I'll be seeing Godsticks and have been looking forward to it ever since I got hold of their CD. I'm looking forward to it even more now.

Also seeing Magenta in December (with Touchstone) and that will be another awesome gig I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing the night with all us Moonies.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 AM

Thanks Keithie, Godsticks certainly have loads of potential. That Xmas Magenta / Touchstone gig should be great. Will be seeing Touchstone at the CRS, Maltby on 26th September supported by DeeExpus (another fine band) and will try and post a review on here. Regards

IQ
Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 AM

Great review SK. Liked Magenta at last years SEFest. Looking forward to seeing Godsticks at this years event. I hope that Stepehn can keep the CRS going from strength to strength. Hoping to be at the Touchstone gig too, must have a chat if I can get there. Cheers.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 AM

Hi Eloy
Thanks - Yes I'll certainly be at the Touchstone / DeeExpus gig at the CRS, I've already got a ticket and I know I'm not working that Saturday night. If you can go, give us a shout nearer the time (internal PM or Email) and we'll try to arrange something although I've never been to the Wesley Centre at Maltby so don't know the area too well. Regards

IQ
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 AM

That makes two of us! Maybe we may arrive lost at the same pub!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: