Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Head Joint

The Persistence of Prog Rock

Critics think that the genre was an embarrassing dead end. So why do fans and musicians still love it?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...e-of-prog-rock
Old 06-13-2017, 12:18 PM

Re: The Persistence of Prog Rock

Of course critics think that. Then again when have they ever been kind to our beloved genre? Look how long it took Yes to get into the rock n roll hall of fame. Why did it take so long? It's because most of those who do the voting are rock critics.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Head Joint

ya i really do not understand all the hate with prog rock. it should be praised by everyone. but some of the folks in that article that were quoted seem like major assholes when it comes to prog. prog is just way more in depth music compared to say classic rock of the same era. ya sure classic rock is good stuff but prog took it to the next level so again why all the hate for music that pushed the boundaries?
Old 06-13-2017, 09:12 PM

I remember for a while when I got into Yes in the eighties everything else sounded like crap to me(even LZ). I kind of got over that somewhat snobby attitude and can accept most things including classic rock for what they are but Yes and Genesis in particular just blew me away when I was still new to it that nothing else could measure up. It's all relative though. Most non prog classic rock sounds great compared to most contemporary stuff these days but the problem is most of it has been played to death on fm radio.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 PM
Head Joint

ya i cannot take too much classic rock any more..have heard it all so many times now.. still love a lot of it just cannot hear it lol. in my early teens i used to be a rapper then i heard dark side of the moon with headphones on lsd and was like omg rap sucks ass and is very untalented lol. been rock ever since..then in 2007 i joined aural moon and got into prog and now for me it is either prog or ambient music.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzdout View Post
omg rap sucks ass and is very untalented lol. been rock ever since..then in 2007 i joined aural moon and got into prog and now for me it is either prog or ambient music.
I understand where you're coming from, but would challenge you on one thing. It's my position that every genre has its pop and radio side and its artsy or progressive side, even rap. For instance, Outkast does some very interesting stuff, musically. Heck, SpottieOttieDopaliscious samples Genesis's "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" for crying out loud. If you google for progressive rap, or art-folk, or whatever, there's some interesting stuff out there.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 PM

I didn't hear DWTMK in there. Are you sure it wasn't another track?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Sorry yesspaz, rap/hip hop or whatever you may call it really is terrible. I have actually tried to listen to it and tried to understand it's popularity, but I just can't stand it. I have a very wide taste in music of all kinds of genres from country, bluegrass, blues, jazz, rock, classical, new age, pop, disco, gospel, etc. etc. but honestly cannot tolerate rap/hip hop or electronic dance music as well. Each to his own, I respect everyone's opinion. Like I said, I HAVE tried to like it but can't. Hey I absolutely love post rock/math rock and most people here on AM don't care for it so like I said music is in the ear of the beholder. Peace Out
Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 AM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schupdoggy View Post
Sorry yesspaz, rap/hip hop or whatever you may call it really is terrible. I have actually tried to listen to it and tried to understand it's popularity, but I just can't stand it. I have a very wide taste in music of all kinds of genres from country, bluegrass, blues, jazz, rock, classical, new age, pop, disco, gospel, etc. etc. ....... Peace Out
Completely agree Shuppdoggy. However we part ways with the post/math rock.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me
Old 06-17-2017, 12:29 AM

Progarchives considers post rock/math rock to be part of prog. Same thing with electronic and fusion. They have a very wide net I guess. Lol.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 PM

For the record, of my hundreds of thousands of tracks, less than 300 are hip hop. That puts my collection as 0.03% hip hop per 100,000 tracks. In no way am I a "fan" of the genre, just what little there I find interesting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: