Many, many moons ago, when I was a young 20-something, I answered an ad for a classic rock band. It was just one guy who wanted to start a band and as we talked I discovered he's a progressive rock fan like yours truly. So we agreed it would be a prog rock band. But to narrow our search for bandmates, I decided to come up with a test to weed out unworthy candidates. I choose questions carefully so that only if you know progressive rock can you answered all of them but not so obscure you had to know everything about prog rock. It's a litmus test, do you know this genre of music or not. So, anyone on Aural Moon should easily score 8 out of 10 on my progressive rock test. Please don't post with answers, if you want to check your answer, just PM me and I'll send you them (Then again, if you're a Moonie, you should know the answers easily.)
Progressive Rock Trivial Pursuit
- Name all four original members of ASIA and at least one progressive rock band each had previously played for.
- Complete the following album title, Selling England ...
- If you owned a progressive rock CD store, under what letter would file the self-title album by Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe?
- Name the fine art painter whose artwork appears on the album covers for the following progressive rock artists: Yes, Atomic Rooster, Gentle Giant, Uriah Heep, Ambrosia, ASIA, ABWH and Glass Hammer.
- Who is "Aqualung"?
- True or False, Mike Oldfield plays every instrument on Tubular Bells?
- Name the drummer who has played for the following progressive rock bands: Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, U.K.
- What are "frippertronics"?
- Tales of Mystery & Imagination by The Alan Parsons Project is a collection of musical pieces based on the short stories by which author?
- ELP stood for Emerson Lake & Palmer from 1970 to 1979. What did it stand for in 1986?