Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > The Rickter Scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2005, 04:07 PM

Show 19 - Mixed Bag IV

Every so often I need to get back to good old prog. And in respect to the Super Bowl, a roman numeral also!

But as per usual, a few surprises.

1) Avant Garden - Dragon Feed

Off of a Progday 2002 sampler. A bit like "21st Century", but more jazzy and no vocal. One to get the blood boiling.

2) Kraan - Borgward

Same sampler, but a live cut.

3) Starcastle - Fountains

The third and final cut from the sampler.

4) Niacin - Blue Mondo

Another sampler, the Magna Carta one I had lying around. Killer bass solo by Mr. Sheehan.

5) Shine On You Crazy Diamond - David Gilmour

From his 2002 Live DVD. In great form, stripped down and ready to go!

6) Explorers Club - Time Enough

Also from the Magna Carta sampler. Starts off a bit heavy but is very diverse. Hard to follow but worth the trouble.

7) Fruitcake - Spirit of This Day

From a disc Rogor Mortis sent me. GREAT tune. (and no it's not Jam Forte )

8) Morrigan - A Night To Remember

A strange number...also off the disc by our Danish friend.

9) Chris Squire - Silently Falling

Long been a favorite, just picked it up on CD. All the excuse I need to put it on.

10) Clockwork - Secrets of Centuries

From another sampler, "Sensory #1". In the Pain of Salvation vein.

11) Bob Mould - Heartbreak A Stranger

From his fantastic CD, "Workbook". One of the ones I personally play the most.

12) Saga - On The Air

From their last studio CD "Network". Still doing their thing, and doing it to perfection.

13) Phil J - At this Point

This is Mossy's son, with a home-recorded number. Pretty good, a bit introspective and quiet. Props for Mossy and Phil! A great lead in to.....

14 - 21) Opeth - Damnation

Windowpane
In My time Of Need
Death Whispered A Lullaby
Closure
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease
Ending Credits
Weakness

A great disc. I thought I lost it, it fell out when I was grabbing some others...said "Put me on the Moon". Any other CD by them I wouldn't go near. I find it humorous that these death-metal singers can sound really good when they sing. Lots of mellotron, very moody and dark. Not usually my cup of tea but it's so good. Sort of an Anekdoten Light.

22) Mike Oldfield - Taurus II

Had to end the show on an upbeat note. I heard "Tubular Bells" live at a friend's and looked for "Exposed" but couldn't find it. If it's on the Moon I whiffed. So I picked an Oldfield tune I play a LOT.

See you there!

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 01-26-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Patron

a juicey morsel there rick

i'll be listening and making lasagna....maybe, hopefully eating it by that time...esp. anticipating the boss mz moss contribution. way to go my sister...now if i can just get max to embrace his proggy heritage

poda
Old 01-27-2005, 02:24 AM
KeithieW

More power to you Rick..........

mossy's son Phil is a fine musician. I've been lucky enough to meet him and to hear a lot of his self penned tunes and they have been getting better as time goes by.

Excellent to see and hear you on The Moon Phil............fancy a curry some time?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:36 PM

Opeth

Rich,

Don't fear "all" other Opeth. There's usually a tune or two on each album without the "death" vocals (or with minimal growling), and I think you might dig them. I'll have to enlighten you!

Jeff
Old 01-30-2005, 12:50 PM

Re: Opeth

Quote:
Originally posted by pearceja
Rich,

Don't fear "all" other Opeth. There's usually a tune or two on each album without the "death" vocals (or with minimal growling), and I think you might dig them. I'll have to enlighten you!

Jeff
Well I hope it hits me better than that Cynic...I finally got through sorting through all of the great stuff everyone sent...look for that acoustic Fish to be on soon.

By the way, this is Jeff, the best man at my wedding, if I could only remember the date...lol. (it's 7/20/91)

Not only is he allowed to call me Rich, it sounds better (all my childhood and college friends know me as Rich before I got my Rick alias). He's grandfathered in

Enlighten away!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Owner/Program Director

Re: Show 19 - Mixed Bag IV

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll

22) Mike Oldfield - Taurus II

Had to end the show on an upbeat note. I heard "Tubular Bells" live at a friend's and looked for "Exposed" but couldn't find it. If it's on the Moon I whiffed. So I picked an Oldfield tune I play a LOT.

See you there!
Exposed is supposed to be on the Moon - I own it, and uploaded it at one point...
Old 01-31-2005, 02:08 AM
KeithieW

Missed the show but..........

Have taken the day off to hear the repeat. I have to admit that I'm listening mainly to hear Phil J's (now second) outing on the Moon. Well done Phil, you deserve some success with your music and I can't imagine a better outlet for it.

It was good to read back over the Black Box and see your shouts. I wish I had been around to participate but this old sod was in the land of nod!!!

I WILL be in touch, Phil............honestly.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:11 AM

Re: Missed the show but..........

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Waye
Have taken the day off to hear the repeat. I have to admit that I'm listening mainly to hear Phil J's (now second) outing on the Moon. Well done Phil, you deserve some success with your music and I can't imagine a better outlet for it.

It was good to read back over the Black Box and see your shouts. I wish I had been around to participate but this old sod was in the land of nod!!!

I WILL be in touch, Phil............honestly.
Now that's dedication.

You should be in better shape than Mr. Forte, who was up faffing instead of sleeping

Actually the white room shouts were plentiful also!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Patron

On behalf of Phil, who isn't forumed yet, I want to thank Rick for including one of his songs on the show. Thank you Rick. After P said he didn't mind if I shared his website link, I immediately thought of you because I knew you'd give honest feedback. And you did. Never did it enter my mind you'd actually play a song, so that was thrilling. One seldom knows what's in the mind of an 18 year old, but if you could have seen the smile on his face last night when he heard his song on air,....that said it all.

Keith, you are P's biggest supporter and have given him so much in the way of positive feedback and an open ear for the past year or so. Words aren't enough. Thanks for taking the day off (wow!). Having just read your post now, I had no idea! Sorry your puter packed it in.

Thanks to all the moonies who listened and those who chatted with P last night in black after his song played....Jim, Poda, Frem, Rick of course....sorry if I missed a name. He didn't say, but I'm guessing from the length of time he was on, P felt very much at home.

love, m

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: