Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Patron

Beatles remastered

Well, I finally had the chance to sit down and give the two discs I bought, A Hard Day's Night and Revolver, a good listen.

As a bit of a disclaimer, I'm a fairly rabid fan and have several Beatles recordings. I have every album on disc and vinyl, and various bootlegs. So, it's not like I absolutely had to have these new discs.

So, if you're wondering if they're worth getting, well it depends on what you got already. If I recall correctly, all Beatles records up to Revolver were recorded in mono only. Rubber Soul is recorded psuedo stereo (you've got different sounds coming out of each speaker, but not a true stereo sound). After that, I think they recorded everything in mono and stereo.

Revolver was recorded in true stereo. The new disc is a nice improvement over the old disc that was put out years ago. It seems a little more open than the older disc. But, it's about sonically the same as my vinyl copy. So, I'm not sure that I'll buy many of the remasters past Revolver.

HDN was originally recorded mono only, but the remaster version is in stereo. So, this is where the engineers in the sound booth had to do some tweaking. IMO, they did a pretty damn good job. It's not the psuedo stereo like I mentioned before. They've taken the original tapes and created a true stereo version of the original recording. So, this becomes a recording that I don't have. Well, I can't have that now can I?

So, I'm thinking that I need to get the earlier albums remastered!

I'm still a little on the fence about getting albums post Revolver. I've got good vinyl copies and a great turntable, so it's hard to justify spending the money. But, I did say that I was rabid didn't I?

Any other opinions out there?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Re: Beatles remastered

About how much are they going for? $10.88 at Wal-Mart, or $19.98 at Best Buy?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 AM
Owner/Program Director

well I appreciate and respect the Beatles, but I rarely listen to them. I have most of their recordings on CD. I cannot see spending money on another version of their 40 year old albums when there might be a new prog album that you all want to hear on Aural Moon

and I'll repeat, this is not disrespecting the Beatles. They rock, rocked, and were instrumental in progressing music from the basics. I like them but have heard them enough. For me...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Patron

spaz, I bought mine at Best Buy for $12.99. That's what they're selling for individually on Amazon, so I figured it's the going rate. I avoid Wal-Mart when possible, even to save money.

jim, I hear you. I don't listen to them often, mostly because I'm buying new music. But, I'm a huge fan of the music, so I had to find out
Old 09-15-2009, 12:08 PM

Might buy Sgt. Peppers, because believe it or not, I don't own a copy. White Album, Abbey Road, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be I already own on CD so I certainly will not be buying those. BTW Pepper costs £9.98 ($16.44) on Amazon UK.

I slide between the waves
And ride the frequency alone

IQ
Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM

Hi Moonies,

If you love the Beatles, get them. I always thought the CDs were harsh and thin sounding, the remasters make me feel like I'm hearing them for the first time. The older albums are most interesting if only because they've been improved more dramatically.

Enjoy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: