Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Station News > Website
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Progger since 1966

RQing RULES by the DOCTOR....

The Administration has posted these rules many times, However I thought a central Thread, easy to find, might be in order. Making them STICKy would insure there Listing
Roger Lee and the Admin. have indeed addressed these rules in Other threads including This Link to the One that this listing is reprinted from :
http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthrea...=request+rules

OK, perhaps it's time to repost the SAM request rules.

Person-based rule:
Each person (as restricted and identified by IP address) can request up to 10 times per day. Each request must be seperated by 60 minutes.

Album-based rule:
No two tracks from the same album can be played in the same hour. In other words, if a different song off of the same album has played within the same hour, the request will be denied.

Artist based rule:
No two songs from the same artist will be played within the same 120 minute (two hour) time frame.

Title based rule:
No two songs with the same title will be played within the same 480 minute (8 hour) time frame.

The same track will not be played twice within the same 24 hour period.

Examples:

You want to request "Time and A Word" by Yes.

If another track off of any other Yes album has played in the last hour, it will be denied.

If another track off of Time And A Word has played in the last TWO hours, it will be denied.

If another track by the name "Time And A Word" (say, off of Yes, Live at the Hollywood Bowl (if there were such a beastie) played in the last 8 hours, it would be denied.

The same track will only play once per 2880 minutes (24 hours).

Note: these apply to requested as well as SAM chosen songs or songs that are part of a show (provided the show isn't a single pre-recorded file (such as Fusion Reaction, Rickter Scale, etc., and unlike The Gagliarchives, etc)).

Hope that clears up some confusion. And it looks like RQs are working just fine thanks!

Roger -Dot- Lee, no reason to change...
Old 02-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Re: RQing RULES by the DOCTOR....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharcnorris;24718
Person-based rule:
Each person (as restricted and identified by IP address) can request up to 10 times per day. Each request must be seperated by 60 minutes.

[/B
[/color][/size][/font]

Again, I tread lightly here, since I have a show. But as I said in the other thread....the rule above, given that Sam throws in tunes also, means that sometimes as little as 15 different people a day could request. We've got many more listeners than that.

That seems a bit limiting.

The song rules are great, and hats off (although I dislike hats) to admin for creating these.

But 10 times a day, that's just too much.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r

seems like twice a day is plenty, but I know this is a sore subject and has been discuss countless times. But I agree 10 RQ's a day is too much.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:09 PM

WAIT!!!!!!!

This is the third thread started on this topic!

And here's the third!

I'll post this in all the places:

You're all making this too complicated!

Forget algorithims, al gore, al dente, and al stewart....

just limit users to two requests per day....please!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Cool Re: RQing RULES by the DOCTOR....

Sort of...

Two per day is plenty...... For Theming Thursday!

During the rest of the week when the demand is not as high I would still reduce it, but to 4 or 5.

I agree with the others that 10 per person per day is just excessive.

But let us acknowlege how difficult it is to manage such a task and applaud admin for the process that is in place. It can be easy to not notice all the hard work and dedication that goes on behind the scenes. So let's not forget their contributions!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Patron

And members only should rq so we can see who - every time.........!0 a day too much and 2 a day too little.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 AM

Ok, I am new here but I think two per day is plenty. For hearing both songs you have to stay here for near four hours in a row. Who can do that?

The next step will be that a member getting his own show with one hour or build a tag-team with a friend for a two hour show.

Furthermore I would limitate the songs for any artist onto four per day.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Patron

IF anyone is going to change things from how they are now, which is debatable, and for the purpose of discussion, I agree with mortis. Regarding possible tweaks to Thursdays and days heavy with shows...two a day is too little, ten is too much.

For all other days the current RQ rules work fine...I don't see any need to further limit how often people can request music.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee

The Doctor is in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post
Ok, I am new here but I think two per day is plenty.
There are believers on all sides of that debate. There are some who have a job that doesn't require a lot of interaction with others, thus they can pop open iTunes, and pop in a RQ every hour. They'll fight to the death to keep that privilege available. And there are others that like to pop a tune on the stack in the morning, head on in to work for their daily toil, and pop a few on after work to relax.

And I'll, at this point, admit that my analysis of the RQ trends is a tad outdated, but the number of daily requests wasn't the crux of the problem, and limiting the number to two per day would limit one of the more popular features of Aural Moon more than the numbers dictate. Now Vax would have more updated numbers, and if that demographic has changed, I'll gladly reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly
The next step will be that a member getting his own show with one hour or build a tag-team with a friend for a two hour show.
I seem to recall that this idea was suggested some time in the past. If someone wants to try building a setlist and submitting it for consideration, I'm sure that we might want to give it at least a passing thought. However, and you can ask Rick 'n Roll, Yesspaz, Moses, etc., that there's a lot more to putting together a listenable show than slapping together a playlist of your personal favorites -- especially after the 12th week or so, when you start running out of things you know and run the risk of straying from your theme or what have you. And there's the risk of DJs overplaying a track as well.

Doing a show is, in a way, a lot like flying an airplane. Any idiot can build a playlist/fly straight and level. It takes a bit more to do a show/land the airplane. It takes a LOT more to do a show well/be able to use the airplane after you've landed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly
Furthermore I would limitate the songs for any artist onto four per day.
Request tuning is something that's an ongoing process, and a process where changes, if not done well, can cause all sorts of havoc. We don't like to arbitrarily pick numbers out without giving them some serious consideration.

Now if you have a particular artist, album, or song that you think is getting more than its fair share of play, then by all means let us know. We have ways of handling such thing.

Roger -Dot- Lee, insert evil laugh here.
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 AM

Roger-Dot-Lee,

Thanks for clarifying the reasons behind some of the requesting rules... I appreciate the chance to better understand....

I am one of the ones - especially on Themin' Thursday - that does alot of requesting.... the challenge of the theme and all... But I would be willing to limit my requests, if the need to do so is there...

I have really enjoyed being a part of Aural Moon... I have met some really nice people in the Shout Box... I have listened to old favorites... and been exposed to some really nice music I have never heard before....

Please let us know how we can make your job easier....

Regards,
Ted
Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 PM

I think these are very out of date.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:05 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
I think these are very out of date.
RTFAQ
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 AM

Angry Re: RQing RULES by the DOCTOR....

I realize that I, most likely, am the only person who will say this, but the requesting rules are far too onerous. When I can't place a request from a new to the moon album, even though I have not made any requests today. And it has been more than 22 hours since any song played from said album, at least thats what SAM tells me.

And SAMs reason I can't place this request. Album recently played.

Twenty-two hours ago.

That tells me that there are way too many in play here.
Come on... Its not like I even get close to making the maximum number of RQs per day. I doubt I even make RQs every day.

I've been listening to this net station longer than most of the current Moonies even knew the station was here. I have been understanding of the reasons the rules had to be added too over the years.

There are way too many people out there who will abuse the system, any system, that they can. I get it. But this is beyond silly. I almost feel like I would rather be doing this, , instead of placing a request.

Now if that's the effect you were going for. Bravo! Congratulations. You nailed it.

But if you did not intend to make anyone feel like this , then maybe the rules need a rewrite.

I already have too many headaches, I don't need any .

I hope no one is offended by my little rant.

Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Bmithra