Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2003, 09:13 AM

KC in Nashville

Mine would be seeing King Crimson in 2000 at the Nashville warm-up shows for the ConstruKction Of Light tour. Although they were full of train wrecks, the two shows I saw were the best concerts I've been to so far (well, excepting Rush on the Vapor Trails tour). The improvs in particular were amazing!

Tommy
Old 04-29-2003, 11:30 AM

Saw KC in February '03, in a converted aircraft hanger in western NC. Absolutely amazing. I saw them on the ConstruKction tour and thought that they were finally, sadly, going to fade into the sunset on us -- at that concert they were almost "doing it by the numbers," very rote and uninspired. Belew was trying to liven things up by mugging at the audience and Gunn was his usual splendid, Zen master self, but the show just didn't work. I thought they were done. Then I saw them a couple of months ago and was flabbergasted. Mastelotto has figured out his role in the band and is having fun, Belew came out stripped for battle and fought with his guitar all night (it was a draw, and an epic battle it was), Gunn was again his usual calm, splendid self, and Fripp looked...almost pleased, as if his recalcitrant pupils finally had it right. The energy level should have lifted the place right up off the planet, and the audience panted so hard for more that the band gave up 3, count em 3, encores. Interesting sidebar: they've completely excised everything pre-Thrak from their repertoire, and that only in the encore ("Vrooom Vroooom" and "Dinosaur"), and are focusing almost exclusively on music from their last two albums along with plenty of improvs and the occasional ProjecKct piece ("Deception of the Thrush"). Now, this is from February; no guarantees what you'll see if you go to see them now, but even if they're playing beer hall polkas, they're very much worth seeing.

(Note: I am aware that, like any other band, KC has their good nights and their bad nights. I'm sure they've come out limp as wet noodles once or twice on this tour, and I'm sure they raved some venues down on the 2000 tour. I've seen them almost a dozen times since 1981, and I've never seen them look so flat and uninspired as when I saw them in 2000. I honestly thought that they had finally reached the end of their rope. Thankfully I was wrong, wrong, wrong!)

Last edited by black max : 04-29-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:49 PM

Bob Fripp and the boys

saw them a month or so ago - very crunchy and even bluesy. Fripp's still got it. The night before (they did two nights) Belew was sick, so the other three played without him. I would rather see that and Belew as an opening act. That would be two better shows. Belew in the 80's-90's at intimate venues was his best. There's too much repitition in his vocal tunes nowadays. But he's still needed to liven things up a bit.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:13 AM

ProjeKct 3 was Fripp, Gunn, and Mastelotto. Overall, not my favorite of the 5 "ProjecKct" bands, but they produced some worthy music.

Belew is an integral part of the band, both live and in the studio. He, along with Fripp, writes the majority of the material, and on stage he provides a great deal of the energy and the "firepower." Though I would have been very interested to see how a Belew-less KC handled things.

Side note: I'm glad to see Trey Gunn is getting a following among Crimson fans. He was sorely underutilized and underappreciated in the "double trio" lineup. He's amazing.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:16 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally posted by black max

Side note: I'm glad to see Trey Gunn is getting a following among Crimson fans. He was sorely underutilized and underappreciated in the "double trio" lineup. He's amazing.
I saw the "Double Trio" lineup at the Royal Albert Hall in Londaon and thought the same as you Black max. He was underutilized but it was still a fantastic gig.

I'm sure I've got a recording taken from the tour somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and have another listen.

Thanks for reminding me about that!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:48 PM

Definitely Not Leslie Gore

I can't believe I forgot about the Col. Les Claypool & His Fearless Flying Frog Brigade show I saw in New Orleans over Mardi Gras about three years ago (I think). That has to be one of my favorite all-time shows.

We got to the venue early (right by Lee circle @ the arts warehouse thingy) and were standing around the loading dock when this beatnik-looking guy with dark shades walks up and bangs on the loading door. It was only after he ducked under that we realized it was Les coming in from a parade. Unfortunately, the show itself was about 2 hours late. However, we got there early enough to be right in the front of the line.

When the gates finally opened, we managed to deposit our sad carcasses right in the front behind the barricades on the left side of the stage. It's maybe an understatement to say that it was just a good position, as we could clearly see Les & Eenore flailing about.

Probably the greatest thing about the performance was the seemingly free-form setlist. They went right into a cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (as Col. Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade), and segued into a version of With A Little Help From My Friends. Needless to say, I was in odd-ball heaven. That was shortly followed by Thela Hun Ginjeet. After that, it's all a blissful blur. I'm not sure if it was the huge green cloud or the music that took me under, but I'd love to get a copy of this one. The sound was absolutely horrible though. Oh well, it's nice to have, but a funky groove is better.

I'm pretty sure a few of the songs on there went on to be developed for Purple Onion, especially one that involved a single string bass with a hand crank on the tuner! Les would hit it with the drum stick and crank tighter or let it loose for the note & effect.

Galactic was supposed to come on after. By that time, it was about 1 and we'd been on our feet all day, so we just said 'screw it'. We'd already had our fill.

Tommy
Old 05-13-2003, 01:33 PM

I was born in 1980. Gah! It seems i have missed loads of good experiences by just being too young!

But i went to see Ayreon/Star one live last year. And it was an experience that litterary blew me away. It's definately the best concert i have ever been to.

Progressive rock seldom tours to Sweden it seems. I had to go to Holland to see the Ayreon/Star one koncert. (It was worth it, and then some!) A live cd/dvd from the very concert i was at has come out now by the way.

I think this was the first prog concert i have ever been to. I know that Jethro Tull has been here, and Spock's beard together with Dream Theater. But back then i still didn't know how good music it was. (Aargh!)

Anyway, the second best concert i have ever been too was King Diamond. I like to think that what he makes can be called progressive metal, but i tend to get outvoted on that pretty quick so, i don't know. It was a very enjoyable experience however that may be.

Then on third place i think i must place Moonspell. I tend to think that they have a bit of progressive touch as well. But i get outvoted on that just as fast as when i say King Diamond is so. It was good anyway.

Next, i am hoping to see Mind's eye live, they should tour Sweden sooner or later i gather.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:57 AM

The King

I dressed up as King Diamond for Halloween parties for a few years straight. Great Fun. Mercyful Fate was always pretty good. There's a ridiculous tune called "The Phone Call" that always makes me laugh.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:32 AM
KeithieW

Re: The King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I dressed up as King Diamond for Halloween parties for a few years straight. Great Fun. Mercyful Fate was always pretty good. There's a ridiculous tune called "The Phone Call" that always makes me laugh.
Sounds a laugh Rick......you got any photos you care to post for OUR delight?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:03 AM

>>>I like to think that what he makes can be called progressive metal, but i tend to get outvoted on that pretty quick so, i don't know.

It doesn't matter what the label is, it matters that you like it. A lot of the thrash/punk/new wave bands I like would make the average "Prog Day" audience run for their lives.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:31 PM

Talking Les Claypool

Now you've jogged my memory, Extended. The best concert that I have ever been has to be the first time that I saw Primus. It was the summer of 1996 in an arena in downtown Toronto. I went with a buddy very early in the day and decided to get slowly and thoroughly pickled in a restaurant/bar across from the arena. We finally managed to get up and glide into the arena for the concert. We got in when the lights were on and pushed our way to about 6 rows from the stage anticipating a lame opening act but wanted a good spot for Primus. The lights go down and when the first bass chord is struck we find out that we are in the middle of the mosh pit and we missed the opening act. My glasses go flying (I eventually find them and stuff them into my shorts), we decide to join the crowd and have a hell of a time. All this at the age of 36!! Les Claypool's playing has to be seen to be believed!!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 PM

Maybe some of you know about Frágil, a peruvian symphonic prog' band from the late 70's - early 80's, they have one great album "Avenida Larco", but back to the point.

This band started doing covers of Genesis, Yes, etc . Around 1977, when I was 13 only listened to radio music (and Roundabout), but a friend's older brother told me to go with a group of guys and see this progressive band that was the opener for the most popular pop band in Perú (You).

Honestly I went to see "You" but I noticed the audience was not normal for a POP concert, almost all were males with long beards and hair, almost as left oriented intelectuals.

The concert started with a guy dressed with a strange hat and a flower in his teeth singing a strange song named I Know What I Like, amazing a new world opened for me, then he started to tell stories while the other musicians tuned theit instruments, the next songs were 11th Earl of Mar, Close to the Edge, Stairways to Heaven and Supper's Ready, the crowd was really thrilled.

After a couple of hours the lead singer from You (the Pop band) climbed the stage and said: "Well guys you are here to see us so give a warm applause to Frágil and let's Rock with YOU!!!!!!!.

Bad mistake....the crowd went mad, they started to throw objects to the stage like cans, beer bottles, etc everybody was shouting the name of Fragil.

The poor guy from You started to sing "Silly Love Songs" and it was worst, 50% of the audience went out (included myself) and the other 50% was shouting and throwing things, 2 or 3 blocks away I could listen the name Frágil shouted by the crowd.

This concert changed my life and my understanding of music.

Iván
Old 05-14-2003, 10:28 PM

If I knew how to post a picture..

I have one picture. What makes it stupid looking is that I am holding an umbrella (not your standard Metal fare).

But the better ones are me dressed as a woman (on a dare, of course).

Primus is one band I've never seen and would have liked to!
Old 05-15-2003, 01:34 AM
KeithieW

Re: If I knew how to post a picture..

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I have one picture. What makes it stupid looking is that I am holding an umbrella (not your standard Metal fare).

But the better ones are me dressed as a woman (on a dare, of course).

Primus is one band I've never seen and would have liked to!
Avian, Is it possible to post pics up on the threads?

If it is let us know how and Rick could give us all a giggle.......I could do with a laugh right now!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:38 AM

Ivan, what a cool story.

I was at an outdoor concert in Chapel Hill, NC in 1982 with Grandmaster Flash, The Producers, U2, and Todd Rundgren (tells you how long ago it was that U2 was opening for Rundgren or anyone). The audience didn't understand or appreciate what GMF was doing, and the Producers (lightweight Cars wannabes) just bored them. Everyone was there for U2 and/or Rundgren, with the audience topheavy for U2. The Producers wound their way through their flaccid little set, obviously choosing to end with their one hit, "Lucy" or "Lucille" or something. Towards the end of their set, the front guy called out, "What is it that you wanna hear?" Besides channeling Lynyrd Skynrd, he was expecting all of us to yell back, "Lucy!" Instead, the crowd thunders out in one voice, "YOOOOOO TWOOOOOO!" Poor guy was rocked back on his heels, the band chugged through their last song, and they fled, never to be seen again (at least not by me).

U2 was tremendous, with Bono climbing the scaffolding during a lightning storm and doing "Singing in the Rain" (the entire concert took place during a monsoon). My girlfriend at the time got sick of being wet and insisted we leave before Todd got on stage. Like the whipped puppy I was, I gave in, and missed a chance to see solo Todd do his thing, urrgghh.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:03 PM
KeithieW

Turn it on again!!!!!!

We've had a lot of new members and posters join the forum recently and I'd like to get this thread going again. Mainly because I'm a Nosey S.O.B. but also because I like hearing about other people's good experiences. So..........the original question was:

I know it will be difficult to say what your favourite gig of all time would be but I'd love to know what gig sticks in your mind as an special moment in time.

C'mon you new AMers. Get divulging........
Old 06-27-2003, 03:11 PM

Probably the most ambivalent I've ever felt about a concert was watching Lou Reed on "The Blue Mask" tour. He played a terrific set, but the venue was all wrong -- an auditorium usually used for lectures and chamber music, so the audience was restricted to its seats. It was almost impossible to move, much less mosh, and Lou was visibly angered by the "unresponsiveness" of the audience. You could see him deciding, "Fine, we'll just run through the material like we're in rehearsal, and to hell with this bunch of dead asses." He played "White Light White Heat" for the encore -- tremendous energy, terrific rendition, nearly tore my head off, and all I could do was stand up and cheer. He and the band finished the encore and bolted.

I always felt the audience let him down, but I'm not sure how much was the audience's fault. We literally could barely move due to the cramped seating (I'm talking seats with the movable desks attached).

Anyway, maybe this thread will gain a little life.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Fossils are Rock!

After seeing a good number of the big name acts in the big arenas in the seventies, I became a bit tired of battling poor sound quality and endless streams of people more interested in getting another beer than in listening to the music (Pink Floyd, however, was an exception on the sound quality).
I saw the Tony Levin Band two years ago in a small venue where I sat directly in front of Tony, close enough to put my feet on the stage if I'd wanted. An absolutely fantastic night of jamming!
Close second: Flower Kings in the same small club.
Close third: Jean Luc Ponty in the same small club.
Support your local pub!
Old 06-27-2003, 05:24 PM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally posted by dinosaur
Support your local pub!
Agree with you there my friend..........

There are some GREAT bands out there playing the pub circuit who will never get a proper recording contract because they're not "trendy".

On the AM playlist is a band called Haze who are friends of mine. They played upwards of 200 gigs a year around the UK and europe for years and made SUPERB Music. They're still playing together but following a nasty road accident just as they were getting somewhere they don't tour as much as they used to.

Keep on checking out the pub circuit and you'll be amazed at what's out there.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:39 PM

Mine is... Sitting next to Carlos Santana and watching Miles Davis and McCoy Tyner at the Greek in Berkely. I didn't know Carlos personally he just ploped down next to me with his pass around his neck and nudged me and said are these guys great or what (and they were) we talked a little but the music was awsome!

Also Zappa when he came on stage with the Stanford marching band (after they were banned from TV for doing a tibute to the pill on national tv)

There were really so many since I went to concerts every weekend durring the 70 its hard to pick them out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: