Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2001, 04:09 AM
Owner/Program Director

BT, MCE?

You bet'yer ass!

For the record, Big Twin is the first person outside my family to turn me onto a "new" prog band in 20 years - thanks for the Rare Bird!
(I turned my little brother onto Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush, Tull, Floyd, etc; but he's repaid the favor as well as can be imagined - there's some music on AM that wouldn't be there without Ed...)
Old 08-26-2001, 08:00 PM

Talking

Hey I think I'm the youngest so far
I'm going to be 20 in a couple months though.

I got into progressive rock by listening to 80's Genesis as a kid and when I got older I explored their older stuff and from there it grew to King Crimson, Yes, Marillion, Rush etc. etc.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:08 PM

I am 20
Old 09-06-2001, 10:34 PM

I'm 36.

I started listening to rock in '77 -- by osmosis, both of my older brothers were listening to Yes, Zappa, Styx, Kansas, Rush, Jethro Tull, ELP, King Crimson and many others I can't remember. Even here in little old Huntsville, Alabama we used to get many of these bands (don't think Frank made it through though).

I subsequently got into various aspects of punk and many other types of music. Three minute angry songs have their place (I especially love putting on L7 after a new-agey woman friend comes over and spreads a little too much love-n-light).

But that type of music can get old.

Glad to have found this place.

-Kunzang

Old 08-05-2004, 03:04 AM
KeithieW

I need to get out more..........

During a partucularly quiet moment I decided to run through some old posts and found this one that might be fun to start up again.

The last post in this thread was a couple of years ago and the only people who posted who are still posting are Avian, Jim, Spaz and (now and again) Powerslave.

We have LOADS of new people now. Has the average age shifted any in that time?

For the record I'm 48 (49 in a few months) and I get the feeling that a majority of listeners will be in their 40s. I could be very wrong of course.

Prog godesses are allowed to lie if they want
Old 08-05-2004, 05:49 AM

I'm 49 and holding.......at least for a few more months. Been listening to prog since I was around 15......there used to be a great station at Syracuse University that played Prog all of the time. That is where I first heard King Crimson, Tull, Yes and the like. Ah, the good old days when you could hear what I term, "real music" on the radio. Trying in vain to get my two teenage daughters in to it but I think they are to wrapped in Rap. My only hope is my four year old and she seems to be liking it.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:01 AM

I'll be 44 next week. I also expect the majority of us to be in our 40's. I am also trying to pass on this love of real musicians playing real music to the next generations with moderate success. Although my kids absolutely love Spock's Beards The Great Nothing, DT's Sixth Degree of Inner Turbulence, and much of Rush they still prefer nu-metal and the stuff that goes for punk now (Sum 41 etc.).

By the way J, my older kid tells me that RAP stands for Retards Attempting Poetry.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:29 AM

I agree with the RAP definition Z. I will definitely tell my kids that one.......but will add, attempting poetry badly. I am taking my teens to their first "real" concert in a few weeks. Journey is going to be here as well as Yes and I want them to see what real musicians that don't sample other peoples music and can really sing, sound like. I am hoping for the best.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:50 AM

so you're the one!

Quote:
Originally posted by zvinki
Although my kids absolutely love Spock's Beards The Great Nothing,

Requested once per day?

I am 40. I think I remember how old the goddesses are..............
Old 08-05-2004, 09:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses
Despite rumors to the contrary, I was NOT born in 3671 BC.

I'm 32 years young, at least for a few more months.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:58 AM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
40, going on 70 some days, 12 others, depending on mood, weather, and other such factors. I, too, am attempting to corrupt the younger generation away from deth mettle and other such musical atrocities. The youngest likes some of the shorter tunes, but doesn't have the attention span yet to appreciate the classics (anything from Tales, The Great Nothing, Grendel, etc...you know what I'm talking about). The eldest is too wrapped up in some pseudo goth phase, where the lyrics go something like "My tear dropped upon your grave, and I smiled as the flower wilted" or other such dreck.

I have the most hope for the middle one, though. Evidently, when I'm at work, she sits at home with the AM stream cranked. She even digs through my library (I'm getting her hooked on Marillion, and she shows a strong liking for neo and classical prog groups like IQ, Transatlantic, etc). I'm so proud of her....

Roger -Dot- Lee
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:21 AM

Re: Age

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
I'm 22. I was listening to Journey (pre-Raised on Radio), Yes, Pink Floyd, Boston, and Led Zeppeling during the grunge years, basically because that's all the Jackson, MS stations played. No modern rock here, STILL!!! Ug! Man, I wish we had one then and now. A lot of grunge is good, although I own none of it. Alice in Chains is artsy, though. I digress.

I like lots of other stuff besides prog, but it tends to be the artsier of the genres. I call most of my non prog artists prog/alt, or prog/celt, or prog/metal, or prog/emo (Anybody else out there psyched about the new Appleseed Cast albums!)

(anyone else ever heard of Appleseed Cast?)

(anyone?)
WOW this is old. I'm 25, everyone here has heard of The Appleseed Cast, and Jackson does have a modern rock station now. Last time I was home I was ecstatic to hear Switchfoot's "Meant to Live" on radio. Wow. OLD thread.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:36 AM

To rick

I am more likely to request something from GYBE!!!!

Then again I have heard some good stuff from Snow and am thinking of putting in a request now and then.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:40 AM

I'm 23. I think I remember reading this thread the first time around before I registered on the board. I'm fairly certain I'd heard of The Appleseed Cast at the time, because my roommate was playing them over and over and over. . .
Old 08-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Owner/Program Director

Re: How old are you?

Quote:
Originally posted by progdirjim
It's been interesting seeing the posts from some of the old farts (like me) and the younger members. So I'm curious - how old is everyone? I'm a ripe old 39...

(And for you youngsters who think most of your age group doesn't like good music, remember, I lived through DISCO. At least punk, grunge, and even rap has an attitude...) (although you still won't see any of it on AM)
hah! I'm still 39. Seriously, though, the math is easy enough - I'm 42 and still going strong...
Old 08-05-2004, 02:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to kevishev Send a message via MSN to kevishev Send a message via Yahoo to kevishev Send a message via Skype™ to kevishev
Someone earlier said they thought they were the oldest at 49. Well, you've got company. I am 49.

My prog roots go back to hearing the massive St. John's Cathedral pipe organ being played when I was a child back in the early 60's.

Kev
Old 08-05-2004, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lentil
I'm fairly certain I'd heard of The Appleseed Cast at the time, because my roommate was playing them over and over and over. . .
Which album? Only LLO is on AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo
Gonna move the curve up a bit with my entry at 47. Grew up on on classical, folk & big band. Post-Woodstock music tastes aquired during high school, quickly morphed into prog & fusion immediately after. Still listen to: prog, fusion, classical, classic (60/70's) rock, folk and cross-over of any of the above.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r
I'm 44 according to my birth certificate, but my wife thinks I'm still 16.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:38 PM

I am 20 what means musical loneliness among peers. It is sometimes very frustrating. I love you Moonies, but this is only PC and when I shut it down it is sometimes quite painful not to have people to share the hobby with, to talk live with.
But on the other hand the music is a great interlocutor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: