Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2003, 06:20 PM
KeithieW

Talking Yes - Full circle tour.

Just got home from seeing Yes at the Hammersmith Apollo.

What a beautiful night!!!!!!!!!!!!

They played superbly and, after a little difficulty during Siberian Khatru, the sound was good too.

Nearly 3 hours of magic............it was worth EVERY penny!!!!

Those of you who've seen them already on this tour will know what I mean. Those who are about to go, you're in for a real treat!

God bless Yes!
Old 07-07-2003, 11:06 PM

What's the lineup now? I assume Anderson, Squire, Howe, and White are in the band. Who's on keys? Did they use support musicians?

Am I too lazy to check the Web site?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by black max
What's the lineup now? I assume Anderson, Squire, Howe, and White are in the band.
Yes (pun intended)
Quote:
Who's on keys?
Ol' Wakey is back again.
Quote:
Did they use support musicians?
No.
Quote:
Am I too lazy to check the Web site?
Perhaps, but that's ok. Poke around at the message board and you can find numerous reviews. It's a fan site, so reviews might be a bit biased, but they're pretty picky about their band's performances too so it does count for something that most of the reviews have been glowing. The only recurring problem seems to be sound issues. The sound crew seems to be having a hard time getting the sound right at the beginning of shows.

http://www.yesfans.com/forum/index.php?s=
Old 07-12-2003, 01:24 AM

Wow, four out of the five. Now if they could only persuade Bruford to come around...not that it will ever happen, with his well-documented hatred of Chris Squire. Too bad.

Watching AWBH with Tony Levin was something special, but Chris's bass (and vox) is necessary for the quintessential Yes sound.

Am I one of the few Yes heads who likes Drama? I think it's a terribly underrated album, though I'm glad Downes and Horn didn't stick around for more than the one album.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:25 AM
Owner/Program Director

I like Drama a lot. It took me awhile to warm up to it, but over the years it's really grown on me. I agree that Trevor isn't as good a vocalist as Jon, and Geoff Downes is capable but not overly inspiring. Nonetheless, it's a solid album, and after getting burned out on so much other Yes due to over-requests, it's always a pleasure for me when a Drama track comes on.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:25 PM

Drama

is great. Squire is in control. Howe sounds like he got a jump start on that record. His playing is very crisp.

Tempus Fugit is a very original, cool song.

I agree that Squire overcomes Horn and Downes' faults. I had a discussion with a girl about 1982 about who was more important to Yes - Squire or Anderson. My argument was very heavily influenced by Drama.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:04 PM

Jim, you'll hear more Drama requests as of tomorrow when I report back to work (summer vacation is over, regretfully). I'll have a week or so in my classroom getting it ready for the kids, and the first thing I'll do is hook up the computer and crank up AM for the day. I listen to AM more at work than I do at home.

Howe and Squire are terrific on "Drama." It's obviously "their" album, and they took the bit in their teeth and broke for daylight.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Fossils are Rock!

drama

I remember hearing Chris Squire speak in an interview when Drama came out. With all due respect to Jon Anderson and his voice/vision, Squire seemed to think (at the time) that the direction of Yes was heading away from the virtues of Steve Howe's abilities as "one of the best guitarists in the world".
I really enjoyed Drama at the time, and still count it as a favorite, including the live show, mainly because of the focus on the playing.
But Anderson/Squire vocals remain, for me, the most distinctive ingredient of Yes, and I tend to view Drama as the best of the Squire/Howe 'side projects'. (No offense, Asia fans.)
Old 08-04-2003, 04:38 PM

Asia fans?

Is there such a thing?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:05 AM
KeithieW

Re: Asia fans?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Is there such a thing?
I liked the first album a lot. Wettons vocals on tracks like Heat of the moment were good.

The second album less so.

The third album, nah!

4th, 5th ..............never heard them.

Live the first and second albums music came accross really well. It's that Chemistry people talk about. They all played together.

I saw a later incarnation of Asia but only because Steve Howe was guesting and even then they weren't very god. The only other thing I remember about that gig was the Bass player's hat.

'nuff said.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:54 AM

I still feel dirty....

for listening to the first record. MTV really pushed them down our progressive throats. We all tried to liked it - I even saw them in concert. But looking back, I can't say it was worth it.

I have never heard anyone that can sound so good on one song sound so crappy on another as John Wetton. He does do good work on the Asia stuff, and I like his voice on Exiles (especially the David Cross version). But his performance on UK's "Thirty Years" is just awful.

Good producing or just an inconsistent vocalist?

Dave Gilmour is the other one that comes to mind that has this issue. On About Face, his voice on "You Know I'm Right" and some others sound excellent. But then you hear him on that Pete Townsend concert, and it sounds like he's in pain.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Fossils are Rock!

I tried to like Asia, too...

But alas, never did.
Not there's anything wrong 'em!
Perhaps they were too commercial for me? I guess in my youthful verve I valued counter-culture over commercial success (how's that for being an anti-snob and a snob at the same time?).
Old 08-07-2003, 12:31 PM

What I've always found fascinating, (although maybe you guys won't ) is that within, more or less, a year of each other you had Hit Singles from the Yes camp--a band that eschewed singles throughout their career.

To wit: Jon (with Vangellis) had his Friends of Mr. Cairo
Steve Howe (with Asia) had Heat of the Moment
Yes (West) had Owner of a Lonely Heart

It was like, all of a sudden, these dudes got really hip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: