Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - #115 - Lucifer's Friend, Who Else!

Greetings Moon friends.

This week's flea market bonanza brings us to a group that was at the forefront of Hard Rock like such groups as Black Sabbeth and Uriah Heep and was also a big influence on countless groups and musicians for generations. I will open the show with this real treat from Lucifer's Friend when I play their self-titled debut album. Now this isn't just any copy of that LP, this is the rare SQ version from Billingsgate Records that is compatible with both Stereo AND Quadrophonic systems. Ooooooohhhh. The album is from 1973.

The 2nd album of the show will be from a guitarist that most likely was an influence on the members of Lucifer's Friend. I bring you Jeff Beck's 1999 album Who Else! This was a transition album to the harder edged material of the early 2000's that took him away from the pop schlock of the 80's . It isn't a very well known album but I think you'll find many of the compositions enjoyable. The album starts out pretty hard, but it softens up some as it goes. (This was taken from the CD release.)

To finish off the show we turn to another guitarist on our top artists list, Allan Holdsworth. For this show I feature his debut solo album Velvet Darkness. It was recorded and released in 1976. This is a very raw sound from a young musician still feeling his way around for his "sound" that he would later find after a couple more albums. But his excellent talent and skill is quite evident. The album has a nice mixture of fast electric fusion and ballad-like acoustic songs. His band on this album included Alan Pasqua on keyboards, Alphonso Johnson on bass, and Narada Michael Walden on drums.

I do hope you enjoy these three "New to Me" albums. Surely, you will find something to like tonight. It's a little something for everyone.

p.s. Please let me know what you think of the quality of the LP rips. I was experimenting with a few sonic tweaks and would like your feedback. Thanks.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Re: COTM - #115 - Lucifer's Friend, Who Else!

"Have you heard what Mama said?" I was suprised not to find JB's Who Else! on the moon. Thanks for bringing it. You moonster's will dig it. I always have.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: COTM - #115 - Lucifer's Friend, Who Else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooze View Post
"Have you heard what Mama said?" I was suprised not to find JB's Who Else! on the moon. Thanks for bringing it. You moonster's will dig it. I always have.
Let's just leave Mama out of this. She always loved you best.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Owner/Program Director

I have Who Else?, it's just an oversight that it wasn't here. Thanks for correcting it Dale!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 PM

great musical tastes Dale
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM

An informational update - The Holdsworth album is actually not a sanctioned album. The record company (CTI) took his rehearsal tapes without Allan's permission and made this album from those tapes. That would certainly account for the lesser quality compared to more standard recordings, as well as the choppiness of the tracks.

In fact, I believe that Allan has not received anything for having done that album, even with several different pressings and re-releases.

So it just goes to show ya, protect yourself. Read what you sign....

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Patron

Thank you for the info Dale, I also have that Holdsworth LP and have often wondered why it sounded so "choppy"
Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 AM

I said before ...Who Else ! great add ! and kind sir DALE thanks again

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: