Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2006, 10:06 PM

Frost

Heard a song from "Milliontown" (just released in July) today on the Moon, it was the first cut. Got into it greatly. Did some research and it's Mitchell and Jowitt and Edwards with a keyboardist who leads them but I can't remember his name.

Is the rest that good?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r
Re: Frost

http://www.frost-music.com/

At ROSfest.com they have a free song to download. They are playing at ROSfest next year.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:54 AM

Keys are played by Jem Godfrey
Old 07-25-2006, 12:09 PM

Funny thing with that Frost. Somebody in the world of prog (perhaps - what makes it even funnier - Godfrey himself but not sure if he started that, I know only he also said something in this vein) started calling Frost revelation in the world of prog (in the meaning: Frost differs from regressive prog and is really something new). This nonsense was caught and passed by another few people in the world of prog and some reviewers were pulled their legs. So now in some reviews you can read total stupidities about Frost. I'm not saying if this is good or bad but it's not at all revolution. It's absolutely classic neoprogressive album.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
Funny thing with that Frost. Somebody in the world of prog (perhaps - what makes it even funnier - Godfrey himself but not sure if he started that, I know only he also said something in this vein) started calling Frost revelation in the world of prog (in the meaning: Frost differs from regressive prog and is really something new). This nonsense was caught and passed by another few people in the world of prog and some reviewers were pulled their legs. So now in some reviews you can read total stupidities about Frost. I'm not saying if this is good or bad but it's not at all revolution. It's absolutely classic neoprogressive album.
That's pretty funny. Like on Iluvatar's "Children" where keyboardist Jim Rezek was shown on the cover as "Kezer Mij". So I've seen reviews praising the new leyboardist "Kezer Mij"....idiots!

I just hope the rest of the record is as good as the song I heard...but I've been fooled before.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cozy

FWIW, I don't think it's that great at all. I played it on Interzone a few weeks back, and frankly think it's easily the most overhyped release of 2006 (that is, until a new Glass Hammer album comes out).

It's totally conrived, imo, as Jem Godfrey essentially went out and bought a bunch of Inside-Out type groups in order to draw inspiration from, since he want to make a "prog" album. I think that's okay, until all this hype comes out. Anyway, I found a great deal of the album not worth my while and it ranks at the bottom of the 50+ jazz and rock releases I've heard in 2006.

And frankly at this point, in 2006, we're getting to the point where the well has really run dry from the "third wave", imo.

It reminds me of the mid-late 90s when neo-prog (groups that were related to or sounded like groups like Marillion/IQ/Pendragon) was being rampantly produced, and a lot of 2nd rate and 3rd rate copycats were coming out. I suppose it's a natural cycle.

This next batch of groups (Radiohead, Muse, The Mars Volta, Pure Reason Revolution, Oceansize, etc) are at least making an attempt to "progify" rock in the 21st century.

(rant off )
Old 07-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy
FWIW, I don't think it's that great at all. I played it on Interzone a few weeks back, and frankly think it's easily the most overhyped release of 2006 (that is, until a new Glass Hammer album comes out).

It's totally conrived, imo, as Jem Godfrey essentially went out and bought a bunch of Inside-Out type groups in order to draw inspiration from, since he want to make a "prog" album. I think that's okay, until all this hype comes out. Anyway, I found a great deal of the album not worth my while and it ranks at the bottom of the 50+ jazz and rock releases I've heard in 2006.

And frankly at this point, in 2006, we're getting to the point where the well has really run dry from the "third wave", imo.

It reminds me of the mid-late 90s when neo-prog (groups that were related to or sounded like groups like Marillion/IQ/Pendragon) was being rampantly produced, and a lot of 2nd rate and 3rd rate copycats were coming out. I suppose it's a natural cycle.

This next batch of groups (Radiohead, Muse, The Mars Volta, Pure Reason Revolution, Oceansize, etc) are at least making an attempt to "progify" rock in the 21st century.

(rant off )
Now that's a review i can work with. I may either come to the same conclusion or not, but I've got a good idea now, thanks cozy...
Old 07-26-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy
Certainly true. I mean this is typical album from the neoprogressive genre (IQ, Jadis, Arena etc.).

So many neoprog legends link now their old, classic style with elements of metal. This is real phenomen, look.. last albums of: Arena, Jadis, Pallas, Galahad (the one that will come out in late 2006 - I've already heard), Pendragon, add to this Riverside... on all these albums there was step into prog metal. Actually from neoprog legends only IQ didn't do that on latest release. So maybe Frost didn't do that either and this is what they see as being progressive . But well... whether good or bad album.. this is not next Mars Volta.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses

Inside/Out sent me this one too. I listened to it once and thought it was not bad, but a lot of people seem to be really getting into it. I'm not jumping up and down about it or anything, but I've heard recent stuff I like less.

It doesn't seem like it really breaks new ground to me either, so take that into account in your listening.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:56 AM

I like it, but I'm an old Starcastle fan, so....

actually, it's kind of like Starcastle meets Creed meets John Mayer....

Old 07-29-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teermin8r
http://www.frost-music.com/

At ROSfest.com they have a free song to download. They are playing at ROSfest next year.
Hi - I can't seem to find that free song... any chance you can point me in the right direction please... thanks
Old 07-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Patron

At rosfest.com go to ther "performers" tab at the top of the page. Go to Saturday's performers, there's a link to Frost there. At the bottom of the Frost page there's an mp3 to download.

mossy
Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 AM

Got it... cheers. Have also visited iTunes and purchased the album Milliontown - awesome.

Superb stuff, so glad I found this www site and internet radio stn.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Patron

Welcome to the lunar landscape. Good to have you on board.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:03 PM

Thanks Mossy, much appreciated.

I have to say that I really love Aural Moon... the music I have heard in the last few days since finding the site is totally awesome. I am listening now to |Black Light Machine by Frost on my iTunes.

I am an avid music lover, a brass player and enthusiast, and I love many different music genres, especially Ambient. I own a synth (though am not a keys player) and am learning, I have recorded some of my own stuff - but not prog stuff. I was even fortunate enough to have interviewed Steve Hackett for my own site last year - the interview is posted in full on my site if anyone wants to have a look and read (won't post the link in case it is against the rules).

I will be a regular reader and poster here now, as well as an avid listener of Auralmoon.

Cheers all...

Last edited by theMusicMan : 07-29-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan
I was even fortunate enough to have interviewed Steve Hackett for my own site last year - the interview is posted in full on my site if anyone wants to have a look and read (won't post the link in case it is against the rules).
There's a link from your profile, is that the site? I don't think that's against the rules.

Visit the summers end thread, maybe you can join us at the show!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 AM

Ok, I will have a look at that thread, thanks for the invite!

As for providing a link, as long as it is OK to do so... the interview with Steve Hackett can be read on my site here. It is a brass musicians/enthusiasts site and I was very privileged to have been offered this interview with Steve. he was wonderful to say the least.

I hope (1) it is OK to post this link and (2) you enjoy the read.

Have a good day all!

EDIT: Can someone point me to the Summers End thread please? I did a search for 'summers end' and I couldn't see it. Any pointers please, thanks

Last edited by theMusicMan : 07-30-2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:48 AM

Put me down as...........LOVIN' IT!!! It's all Grand Prog Rock to me. There is some kick butt music on the Frost CD. That makes Magic Pie and Frost, my 2 favorite butt kickin' CD's of the year, so far. BUT!! I have to mention AURORIS: "Cryogenic Dreams" as another favorite, in that it rarely leaves my truck CD player........excellent anti-road rage music.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan
Ok, I will have a look at that thread, thanks for the invite!

As for providing a link, as long as it is OK to do so... the interview with Steve Hackett can be read on my site here. It is a brass musicians/enthusiasts site and I was very privileged to have been offered this interview with Steve. he was wonderful to say the least.

I hope (1) it is OK to post this link and (2) you enjoy the read.

Have a good day all!

EDIT: Can someone point me to the Summers End thread please? I did a search for 'summers end' and I couldn't see it. Any pointers please, thanks
Hi MM, good article, wanted to peruse rest of the site, but no time this week...

look under the "Concert Happenings" section of the forum, it's the first thread you will see titled "A UK Prog Festival"...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks Rick - I found the thread and posted in it - I'd very much like to be able to come along - we'll see.

Glad you liked the article - thanks for allowing me to post it here, I don't want to breach any rules.

Of course, you are free to browse the rest of the site as you need to, be my guest. Anyone for that matter. Hey - I also started a thread promoting Auralmoon and the progressive rock genre yesterday too. Here's the link if anyone wants to have a read/post etc...

Have to say, this site is awesome... kudos to you and all those who assist in bringing it to us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: