Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM #235 - Clouds & Manfred Mann

Have you ever wonder who inspired those that inspire a generation?

Well, that is something I will be exploring this week. The first example is from a group from the late 60's to early 70's called Clouds. It was their prior band name of 1-2-3, however, that helped influence and inspire some of the biggest names on the London music scene. (You'll have to listen in to find out who.) 1-2-3, however, did not record any albums. Fortunately, when they were renamed Clouds the formation stayed the same and they released 3 albums, 2 of which I will play this week. I've chosen their 2nd album, Up Above Our Heads, and their 3rd album Watercolour Days.

Another very influential artist of that same time period was Manfred Mann. The original line-up of the group, which was responsible for their big hits (including Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Pretty Flamingo and Mighty Quinn) broke up in 1969. Not long after Manfred Mann organized an other line-up which he called Manfred Mann Chapter III. They would release 2 albums and rumor has it a third was started but never finished. I will play their debut album simply self-titled Vol. 1. They would break up in 1971, right about the same time as Clouds.

I hope you can join us for this look into the bridge between the 60's rock/psychedelic rock and the jazz/rock and progressive rock of the 70's.

See you on the radio.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:23 AM

Re: COTM #235 - Clouds & Manfred Mann

Dale,

Very much looking forward to this show!! Thanks so much!!

I have been reading about Manfred Mann in my Prog FAQ book... interesting story. I appreciate the chance to hear more!!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 11-18-2015, 05:19 AM

Re: COTM #235 - Clouds & Manfred Mann

Dale,

I caught the last hour - hour & 10 min. of the show. I got to enjoy most of the "Watercolour Days" album - and the Manfred Mann Chapter III! I appreciate your willingness to take a suggestion & run with it!! I loved the history - but I especially loved the MUSIC. Wow - great keyboards in the Cloud numbers: organ, piano & "harpsichord" (or something like it). Wonderful sound.

I appreciate your hard work!

Thank you again!!

Regards from Texas,
Ted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: