Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2002, 11:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
AudioGalaxy 1999 - 6/17/02 R.I.P. LONG LIVE INTERNET RADIO!

If you haven't already discovered, Audio Galaxy, probably the best P2P (Peer-To-Peer) mp3-sharing network in existence, was essentially shut down Monday at approximately 6:00 PM Eastern Time. While I must concede that the majority of users (including myself) were infringing on copyright laws, it is my opinion that the death of another major file-sharing system is only a symptom of what our corporate-sponsored government wants to do with regards to the internet: control every aspect of it for the greater good of the U$A. Nowhere is this more evident than the current struggle here at AM, and across all internet radio stations. Now more than ever, we must rally to support ALL independently operated internet radio stations. And we have to do it NOW. RIGHT NOW.

I had just completed adding a few Jadis mp3's to my AG Satellite queue before I left work today (yeah, I don't ALWAYS work at my job). One of them hadn't started to download yet. "Oh well, maybe I'll get it tomorrow," I thought. Well when I checked the queue again tonight, I found out what we may all have to realize if Internet Radio is stopped:

There is no tomorrow.

Response and comment are welcome. Put in your two cents!
Old 06-21-2002, 06:30 AM

I hate it. I used audiogalaxy not for copyright-infringement but for sampleing. I am picky like that. Just downloaded a couple of songs of every interesting album, deleted the ones i didnt like that much and put the ones i really liked on my ToBuy-list.

Help! How will i find good new bands to listen too without Audiogalaxy?
Old 06-21-2002, 08:26 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Isn't Morpheus still active?

Avian
Old 06-24-2002, 09:26 AM

Morpheus is dead

Morpheus is currently in some sort of testing and you can only download and use a "Preview" version, which only connects you to about 500 or so users at the most. I also think they've already begun litigation with the RIAA and will be out of the picture very soon. And Morpheus was never that good anyway. There was no chance to find rare and limited-exposure bands on their network. One time I ran a search for Spock's Beard that came up with nothing. If you can't even find SB, the chances of hearing even smaller-scale bands are non-existent.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:24 PM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally posted by ÄlveKatt
Help! How will i find good new bands to listen too without Audiogalaxy?
By listening to AM, of course!
Old 06-30-2002, 10:17 AM

try winmx or filetopia

i was also one of the millions of user of AG.
and now many of the user that were on prog rock groups at AG have moved to either Winmx or Filetopia.
So by now there are lots of mp3 prog files on these two sites. As for me i´m in as SIDGREG2002. Look for me and we´ll share some good music.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up Winmx

For those looking for a new program to share mp3's, I believe that the clear choice is WinMX. When it first appeared, I didn't know how to use it and found it quite confusing, but now the current version is much improved. The configuration is very similar to Napster, and the selection can be quite good, depending on when you are online. This weekend I was able to hear Echolyn's new album, "Mei," and get some Jadis tracks that I was cut off from when AG folded.

I suggest that anyone interested in file sharing download WinMX. I'm giving it my seal of approval (not that the seal has any merit, whatsoever)!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: