Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2016, 09:38 AM
No clue anymore

Finally!

YES will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for the Class of 2017, it was announced this morning. The induction, following two previous nominations, will occur one year shy of the legendary progressive rock band’s 50th anniversary.

“What an honor this is for us and all involved with the history of this band,” shares guitarist Steve Howe. “We thank all the Yes fans who have been so passionate over the decades, and helped us to keep the flag flying. It is the fans who have constantly demanded our inclusion. They have been heard.”

“We look forward to accepting this esteemed award next spring in honor of our fallen brother, Chris Squire, who would have been delighted to see his musical vision finally receive such recognition,” adds drummer Alan White. “We thank everyone who voted for YES. We’ll see you soon, Cleveland!”

The members of YES who will officially be inducted into the Rock Hall are the ‘UNION‘ tour line-up: current members White and Howe, the band’s late bassist and founding member Chris Squire, and former members Jon Anderson (vocals), Bill Bruford (drums), Tony Kaye (keyboards), Rick Wakeman (keyboards) and Trevor Rabin (guitar).

“YES was like my first girlfriend, to whom I was hopelessly committed,” says Bruford. “Despite a couple of wrinkles, I’m glad to hear the old girl is in fine shape.”

Kaye confirms, “I am honored to be included in YES’ induction. I am delighted for my friends in the band, and I salute Chris, without whom it would never have happened. Chris would have been so very proud.”

In addition to Steve Howe and Alan White, YES’ current line-up includes Geoff Downes (keyboards; first joined in 1980), Jon Davison (vocals since 2011) and Billy Sherwood (guitar/keyboards in the 1990s and Chris Squire’s choice to take over bass/vocals in 2015).

About YES
Founded in 1968 by Chris Squire and Jon Anderson, Grammy-award winning recording artists YES have created some of the most important and influential music in rock history, such as iconic pieces “Roundabout,” “Close to the Edge,” “I’ve Seen All Good People,” “Owner of a Lonely Heart,” “Starship Trooper,” and countless others. Its albums, including Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going For the One and 90125, have been certified multi-platinum, double-platinum, platinum, and more by the RIAA, and have sold over 50 million records total in its career that has so far spanned almost five decades. Among the world’s most influential, ground-breaking, and respected progressive rock bands, YES continues creating masterful music that inspires musicians, fans and music lovers around the world.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me
Old 12-20-2016, 01:43 PM

Re: Finally!

I don't think much of the R&RHOF for obvious reasons. Nonetheless this is good news for the band and I'm glad they finally got in.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Patron

A shame Squire wasn't around for this event, but a wonderful recognition for a gr8 band.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
A shame Squire wasn't around for this event, but a wonderful recognition for a gr8 band.
I meant to write what prompted my original post was seeing Scott Pelley (he's a news anchor for CBS here in the states) call out only Yes in his opening to the news show. To me this meant he cared more for Yes than any of the other inductees.

There was no mention of Chris Squire, but as someone else mentioned ELP, the longer some of these bands take to get recognized, the more likely it will be posthumously.

Happy holidays to my prog friends.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:40 PM
No clue anymore

And ELP still waits.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

Old 12-20-2016, 08:01 PM

And I'm personally stoked the Journey is going in too, and at the SAME TIME! Win and win for me.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
And I'm personally stoked the Journey is going in too, and at the SAME TIME! Win and win for me.
Yeah Spaz. Don't stop believing because it can happen.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 PM
No clue anymore

Journey? After Next the rest was piffle. No, piffle cubed.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Patron

I am excited about the ELO also being inducted, it is about time!
Old 12-21-2016, 06:32 PM

And a deserving Pearl Jam. Great band.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

About f'ing time. Congratulations to all the inductees.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:07 PM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
About f'ing time. Congratulations to all the inductees.

Even Tupac? hate filled rap?

Old 12-22-2016, 09:02 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFish View Post
Even Tupac? hate filled rap?
Yes, even Tupac. Now, whether or not the R&RHOF is the proper venue for the accolades the American public has rained down on him, that certainly is up for discussion.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 12-25-2016, 05:36 PM

The best reward an artist/band may achieve is recognition, appreciation and loyalty from its fans, and being respected this criteria, Yes is among the greatest ever. Congratulations anyway, a prize it's a prize, let's get it.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Patron

Perhaps Yes open the way to another's bands,in this case im happy,they are (for me) a band that have always the prog improntu even the latest albums and thx TheFish i like your writing about.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: