Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Gnosis Radio
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2005, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to dirkevans Send a message via Yahoo to dirkevans
Southern Fried Evil : May 18, 2005

This week Dirk is a little bit country, and Thax is a little bit rock'n'roll. We will be alternating tracks that have a southern-rock twang with songs from the *deep* south (Hades). Southern-fried evil !

What yer in for:
Dixie Dregs - Pride O' The Farm
Immortal - Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss
Marshall Tucker Band - Take the Highway
Nile - Defiling the Gates of Ishtar
Stills-Young - Long May You Run
Graveland - Call of the Black Forest
Heartsfield - Racin' The Sun
Cryptopsy - Headless
It's a Beautiful Day - Don and Dewey
Immolation - Higher Coward
Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler - Yakety Axe
Emperor - In the Worldless Chamber
The Band - The Weight
Dissection - The Grief Prophecy Shadows over a Lost Kingdom
Outlaws - Green Grass & High Tides
Marduk - Baptism by Fire
Buffalo Springfield - Bluebird
Enslaved - Eimdallr
New Riders of the Purple Sage - Whatcha Gonna Do
Melechesh - Annunaki's Golden Throne
Allman Brothers Band - Blue Sky
Gorgoroth - Posessed (By Satan)
J.D. Blackfoot - Angel
Epoch of Unlight - Aberrant Shadows
Grateful Dead - Box of Rain

Tune in and find out for yourself why most listeners will decline to answer when asked what they think of the show!

Show is Wednesday at
8 PM (EST), 7 PM (CST), 5 PM (PST)

replay is on Thursday at
2 PM (EST), 1 PM (CST), 11 AM (PST)

Mike Thaxton & Dirk Evans
Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 PM

1. This Mississippi boy takes mock offense at his home being referred to as Hades (although it is hot).

2. No complaints here! I'd just like to request some Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Charlie Daniels Band, and Lucero!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
1. This Mississippi boy takes mock offense at his home being referred to as Hades (although it is hot).

Quote:
2. No complaints here! I'd just like to request some Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Charlie Daniels Band, and Lucero!
I was going to play something from the Roy Buchanan cd anthology that is from an early unreleased album with Charlie Daniels. While a lot of Roy Buchanan's music leans heavily towards country-rock at times, those tracks ended up being pretty heavy blues rock without a hint of country. Maybe on another show, though. Its great material.

When Peter Thelen did a show last year for Gnosis radio he played some nitty gritty dirt band, but, alas none since. He says I need to get their early albums.

Don't know Lucero!

Dirk
Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 AM

I once played Mr. Bojangles on BrainRock to much consternation of listeners.

Lucero is a band of constantly drunk country-rockers, but from an indie point of view. Think indie rock meets country rock.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 AM

PS, I just put two Lucero tracks in the Gnosis recieving folder. They're pretty poor quality that I put on my puter way back when(.wma - not even .mp3). But, they're good songs and enough to give you a great idea of the band.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to Thor
Horrid Sounds were eminating from my Mac

Hello Gnosis,

Please stop creating these horribly themed playlists of non-progressive "music" [re; Southern Fried Evil : May 18, 2005]. I fled listening to broadcast fm radio to get away from this exact type of "music".

If we at Aural Moon are at the center of the progressive rock universe, and the Gnosis playlist titled "Southern Fried Evil : May 18, 2005" is a star, it would be the furthest star from us. That show played neither Prog nor music [if that's what you call that shit from "Hades"]. It put AM listeners in a grumbling bad sttate of mind.

Think... If I was a recent arrival at the moon, tuning in to that time slice of "music", I would have been turned off... lost would be another listener who would tell two freinds and so on, how bad AM is and not to go there.

Think about what you play and how it will affect AM's standing amongst internet radio. It is an ever burgeoning market and space is limited for only the very best.

om namah shivaya
om gan ganapataye namah
om aim saraswataye namah
om shrim mahalaxmaye
Old 05-19-2005, 06:35 PM

I would agree that this was controversial show and something that probably shouldn't be aired here often.

Personally, I didn't mind listening to it. While I'm not a metal fan in general and certainly not a fan of this particular style, I just took these pieces with a good dose of humour, and it seems that my state of mind wasn't hurt much, if at all.

It's ... hmm... refreshing to hear something different SOMETIMES, even if that something isn't "good" or "quality" music or so "pleasant" to listen to.

-Methem
Old 05-19-2005, 06:42 PM
KeithieW

Re: Horrid Sounds were eminating from my Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Thor
Hello Gnosis,

Please stop creating these horribly themed playlists of non-progressive "music" [re; Southern Fried Evil : May 18, 2005]. I fled listening to broadcast fm radio to get away from this exact type of "music".

If we at Aural Moon are at the center of the progressive rock universe, and the Gnosis playlist titled "Southern Fried Evil : May 18, 2005" is a star, it would be the furthest star from us. That show played neither Prog nor music [if that's what you call that shit from "Hades"]. It put AM listeners in a grumbling bad sttate of mind.

Think... If I was a recent arrival at the moon, tuning in to that time slice of "music", I would have been turned off... lost would be another listener who would tell two freinds and so on, how bad AM is and not to go there.

Think about what you play and how it will affect AM's standing amongst internet radio. It is an ever burgeoning market and space is limited for only the very best.

Whoa!!!! Steady on there my friend. I know I've been on the sauce tonight and I'm doing a "try and get in a frame of mind where I might be able to sleep" thing but that's a bit harsh.

I consider the likes of The Dead, It's a beautiful day, The Band to name but three as VERY important and exceedingly good examples of what I love about music. It's diversity. It's good to hear the odd show that is "out there". We can RQ nearly all the time. A little change is good for the soul................now there's an idea!!!!!!!

Anyone for Smokey and Otis?????
Old 05-19-2005, 07:45 PM

Thor....

If you go to other internet radio places there are tons of really heavy shows. Trust me.

I can't believe I'm defending Porc Tree, but I found your review of the show not really about the music as about the attitude. Let Steven Wilson do what he wants. I mean you cited "Halo" as tune you liked, but it's thrashier than most other stuff at that show.

I thought we had fun with Dirk'd ditties. Between kev, poda, etc it was entertaining.

Look, if Gnosis was to kill Aural moon, Rick James was played not too long ago. Do you remember that? Come on, it's just a couple of thrash songs.

I welcome you to debate the merits of this show, which was a bit of a novelty, or my Sabbath show, which a lot of people felt was pretty good...and progressive. But to say this is what's on FM radio, no freaking way. It's all top 40 or the same rock tunes.

Weren't you in with us when I played Quadrophenia? That's on FM radio. What's wrong with that?

Have some fun, Chris.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:09 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: Re: Horrid Sounds were eminating from my Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Waye
Whoa!!!! Steady on there my friend. I know I've been on the sauce tonight and I'm doing a "try and get in a frame of mind where I might be able to sleep" thing but that's a bit harsh.

I consider the likes of The Dead, It's a beautiful day, The Band to name but three as VERY important and exceedingly good examples of what I love about music. It's diversity. It's good to hear the odd show that is "out there". We can RQ nearly all the time. A little change is good for the soul................now there's an idea!!!!!!!

Anyone for Smokey and Otis?????
It was the shit alternating inbetween those artist that was, IMHO, offensive.

Once in awhile somebody here has to stand up and shout that the emperor has no clothes.

Serioulsy, any "new" listener tuning in looking/hoping to find a prog station would have been turned off by that CRAP. I've got to stand up with Thor and state in a loud and resounding voice that the emperor was indeed without clothes and add that what was left uncovered was pretty damned ugly too boot!
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 05-19-2005, 11:41 PM

Trying something different.

I think I'm going to lay off posting so much.

We're taking this way too seriously. If you think that one show is going to hurt the station, forget it. What hurts more is the inability to market and include the listener.

Everything is important. Technical glitches, everything. As for myself, I'm going to try and do the best job I can. If I play something you don't like, well sorry. I don't like that Procol Harum tune you love vax and I use Microsoft products. Big deal.

I come to the Moon to chat and have a good time. The occasional gem I hear far outweighs the occasional dud. I never said I liked death metal. Actually, I detest it. But it was a funny concept.

See you all around........
Old 05-20-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz

Lucero is a band of constantly drunk country-rockers, but from an indie point of view. Think indie rock meets country rock.
thanks for the tracks! It kind of sounds like the mellower side of Nirvana. The vocalist especially has a Kurt Cobain thing going on.

About the format of this week's show...
For the 2 hours that we have, we have 2 basic objectives:
1) To represent the vast array of music that is covered on the Gnosis web-site.
2) To bring in something new to the Aural Moon airwaves that is not already in the database that will eventually come up randomly anyway.

I found it very interesting how lively and active the shoutbox was during the duration of show. Within minutes after the show was over, no one said anything at all for 3 hours! It seems boredom set in after hearing something different for a change.

Of course you will not hear this same type of show again because we do something different every week.

Dirk
Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Quote:
Originally posted by dirkevans

I found it very interesting how lively and active the shoutbox was during the duration of show. Within minutes after the show was over, no one said anything at all for 3 hours! It seems boredom set in after hearing something different for a change.
Mostly protests! People didn't continue to protest against the Veitnam war once is was ended. I don't believe it was boredom. People went back to listening.

Gnosis has done some great shows... this last one was, IMHO, not one of them.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 05-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Patron

Perhaps that Gnosis show was the best thing to happen for while.

Not because it musically was fantastic - I certainly didn't enjoy some the music that for me sounded like somebody's gut being shattered over the speakers. I fled and listene to Ray wilson instead. But becuase it shows the passion people have for AM and prog in general. It gets them up form the seats and shout.

But R&R is right in the sense we have to be tolerant and listen to what other epople canlisten to. Since 170 listeners is about the maximum the loss of one possible prog fan can be negotiated.

No something different won't harm for a limited time only. One can always switch off
Old 05-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Patron

okay so here's my two cents

since i was a vocal part of the melee that was passing for music on gnosis.

no, i didn't like it...almost 95% of it(there was that fleeting moment during one piece)....and though it caused great distress to some of my fellow and favorite lunites....i would still hold to the basic premise of Gnosis shows and therefore endured most of the show. it was refreshing to hear the country tunes juxtaposed against the demonic-wannabe-i'm-so-evil-you can't-tell-what-i'm screeching metal whatever genre that was.

i know what i like, and now i know what i don't like...as for losing listeners some might have left(i didn't take note of the listeners field during the show—i meant too though)...but you know what...sooner or later they would come back...the moon will have who she will have.

it was a good show to sharpen my jabbing skills. i would never take it seriously knowing this place is solid in it's upholding progressive music standards....i think we are all the stronger for this show....but let's not do that one again

poda

p.s. rick keep posting, i love your voice and the same for thor who is so very passionate in his expressions of both like and dislike. this is what keeps us coming back 4 more then just the music.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dirkevans
thanks for the tracks! It kind of sounds like the mellower side of Nirvana. The vocalist especially has a Kurt Cobain thing going on.
Wow, I don't see that at all, but as long as you like it!
Old 05-20-2005, 02:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to thax
Thax here, the other half (THE EVIL METAL HALF) of this week's controversial Gnosis Radio.

Dirk put it very well:

"For the 2 hours that we have, we have 2 basic objectives:
1) To represent the vast array of music that is covered on the Gnosis web-site.
2) To bring in something new to the Aural Moon airwaves that is not already in the database that will eventually come up randomly anyway."

I would add that our objective is also to play stuff that we like. Dirk likes some countryfied rock, I like some death/black metal. All of these artists are represented on Gnosis, making them fair game for Gnosis Radio.

Our objective is not to torment anyone. It's to play music that we, three dudes who primarily listen to progressive rock, think is good and worthwhile.

RogerMortis:
"I certainly didn't enjoy some the music that for me sounded like somebody's gut being shattered over the speakers. I fled and listene to Ray wilson instead."

Different strokes, man. To me, I'd rather have my own gut shattered than listen to Ray Wilson. But I genuinely respect your opinion.

VAXman:
"I've got to stand up with Thor and state in a loud and resounding voice that the emperor was indeed without clothes and add that what was left uncovered was pretty damned ugly too boot!"

And I think you're completely wrong. You can call it shit and crap all you want, it doesn't change the fact that different people listen for different things in music. I like the intensity, brutality, epic nature and complexity of death and black metal. You don't. I don't care for a lot of the AOR that passes for "progressive rock" that's in regular rotation, but I respect that other people find things to like in it.

Rick and Roll:
"But it was a funny concept."

To be fair to all, Rick's right - it was MEANT to be a jarring and odd juxtaposition. The idea made me smile, and I loved some of the transitions. Another of our objectives with Gnosis Radio is to do things with humor and irreverence. If you can't listen to music or go through life with a smile, well...

Thanks all - rest assured you'll hear something different every week on Gnosis Radio, and that we really appreciate discussion of the playlist, positive or not.

--mrt
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Patron

thanks thax

....i'd say mission accomplished.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:40 PM

Not yet!

Quote:
Originally posted by podakayne
....i'd say mission accomplished.
Isn't there a Saturday repeat? Yee haw, motherf$@#er!
Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r
After seeing the playlist, I'm sorry I missed it. Maybe I can catch the repeat. Next time add some Johnny Cash. Rock on, Dirk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: