Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Mooniverse - Show #61 - YesSpaz

Greetings fellow inhabitants of the Mooniverse.

Today's show is being is brought to you by our guest programmer, YesSpaz.

We have a great line up that starts with our Feature Album - Gentle Giant's Three Friends.

I'm going to keep the rest of the list a surprise until the show and will post the playlist and some pertinent information later.

Come on by today at 1200 hours est, or catch our new time at 0500 est on Wednesday. There there is always our Friday night show that is now at 2000 est.

I hope to see you on the radio.

dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Re: Mooniverse - Show #61 - YesSpaz

Missed the show today because of work, but will definitely be there Friday evening to chat. I hope it went over well, like a led zeppelin. Thanks for your hard work, Dale.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Here are the lyrics YesSpaz wanted you to see. This also gives you the song titles and running order. Hope to see you at the next broadcast.

Bellador - "The Observer" - Great lyric: "Who am I but a mere observer of the grace of God? No one."

Jars of Clay - "Frail" - Great lyric: "A rose can never lie about the love it brings, and I could never promise to be any of those things."

U2 - "Unknown Caller" - Great lyric: "Restart and reboot yourself, you're free to go. Shout for joy if you get the chance."

The Lemon Pipers - "Through with You" - Great lyric: "My world takes on a different form and each new image will conform."

Steve Howe and Jon Anderson - "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" –
Great lyric: "With your sheets like metal and your belt like lace,
And your deck of cards missing the jack and the ace,
And your basement clothes and your hollow face,
Who among them can think he could outguess you?"

Grand Funk Railroad - "Inside Looking Out" - Great lyric: "I feel happy like a newborn child."

The Choir - "Sad Face" - Ecclesiastes 7:2-4 says:
2 It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting,
for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart.

3 Frustration is better than laughter, because a sad face is good for the heart.
4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure

The point here is not dour pessimism, but a simple acknowledgment that it's wise to realize you will die one day. More immediate, that life is at times painful and sad, like the miscarriage alluded to in the second verse. This song is a meditation on this passage.

Great lyric: "There's a woman in my kitchen with a rainbow on her cheek.
Well, isn't that a promise? Still I never felt so week.
There's a tiny spirit in a world above, cradled so sweetly in our Father's love.
So you don't have to cry. No, there's something in my eye."

The Prayer Chain - "Sky High" - Great lyric: "You have seen the water drop from behind my fisted eyes, now here about the Salton spies, speak about rolling skies, highs."

Neal Schon - "Eye on the World" – Dude – it’s an instrumental.

Jimmy Eat World - "Goodbye Sky Harbor" - The lyrics are based on the novel A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. The final lines are Owen Meany's dying words.
Great lyric: "So here I am above palm trees so straight and tall; you are smaller, getting smaller, but I still see you."

qtl { position: absolute; border: 1px solid #cccccc; -moz-border-radius: 5px; opacity: 0.2; line-height: 100%; z-index: 999; direction: ltr; } qtl:hover,qtl.open { opacity: 1; } qtl,qtlbar { height: 22px; } qtlbar { display: block; width: 100%; background-color: #cccccc; cursor: move; } qtlbar img { border: 0; padding: 3px; height: 16px; width: 16px; cursor: pointer; } qtlbar img:hover { background-color: #aaaaff; } qtl>iframe { border: 0; height: 0; width: 0; } qtl.open { height: auto; } qtl.open>iframe { height: 200px; width: 300px; }

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 AM

Hooray! A repetition schedule during daytime Europe! Thank you sooooooo much!

Keep up the good work Dale.

...and left a galaxy of dreams behind...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Hey, all. Spaz here, with my take on the album I chose. Three Friends is easily my favorite Gentle Giant album. There are all kinds of cool things to listen for, as the following stuff quoted from Gentle Giant's homepage points out.

Gentle Giant's third album was their first concept album, as stated in the liner notes:
"The idea of this album came about simply from normal conversations within the group. You know how people often reminisce about old school friends and wonder whatever became of them; or the people who surprise us with their successes or failures. Anyway, the theme in this album is based on three people - friends at school but inevitably separated by chance, skill and fate."
The three school friends grow up to become a road digger (Working All Day), an artist (Peel The Paint), and a white-collar worker (Mister Class and Quality?) who can no longer understand each other's lifestyles. But regardless of the storyline, the music is astounding, ranging from raucous rock to exquisite choral work, and ending with the stunningly beautiful title song.

FROM THE GENTLE GIANT OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

*This album features four Shulmans: Derek, Phil, Ray... and young Calvin (Ray's son) singing the schoolboy vocals on Schooldays. (Thanks to Daniel Lluch.)

* In "Schooldays," just after the vocal part with the lines "Schooldays together, why do they change," there is there is part (guitar and vibes in unison) that plays the theme from a kids' song, "Cry Baby Bunting." (Thanks to Michael Beauvois and Paul Christenson.) Richard McCready offers a different opinion that the theme is from "Ring Around the Rosie."

*The little repeated riff in the introduction of "Working All Day" reappears in the main riff in the background, and also at the end of the song (though harmonized a little differently). (Thanks to KoKl Cormier.)

*In the first (quiet) part of "Peel The Paint," listen to the organ part played after Phil sings "color the brush." It is the basis for the hard-rocking vocal melody in the second part of the song ("Peel the paint, look underneath..."). (Thanks to Michael Beauvois.)

*Phil Shulman's first sung note in "Peel The Paint" is noticeably sharp... oops. (Thanks to Ian McGrath.)

*The slow, majestic bass part for "Three Friends" is played faster and more quietly at the beginning of "Mister Class And Quality?". (Thanks to Michael Beauvois.)"

Last edited by Yesspaz : 12-09-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:31 PM

I assembled a few of the songs' live videos. Not all have them, or they're not good quality. Enjoy.

U2 - Unknown Caller - the pro-shot version
U2 - Unknown Caller - The awesome crowd singing along bootleg version
Jars of Clay - Frail
Jimmy Eat World - Goodbye Sky Harbor
Grand Funk Railroad - Inside Looking Out
The Choir - Sad Face - the version I wanted seems to have been removed from Youtube, which stinks.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 PM

An article in today's Washington Post about Jars of Clay's Blood:Water Mission, a project for clean drinking water in African villages, reaching its goal of 1,000 villages with sanitary water.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
I assembled a few of the songs' live videos. Not all have them, or they're not good quality. Enjoy.

v=Q_kcAV3qQzU&feature=related"]The Choir - Sad Face[/url] - the version I wanted seems to have been removed from Youtube, which stinks.
For a different reason altogether, I found the version I wanted! w00t!
"Sad Face" at Cornerstone 1994.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: