Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2003, 05:31 PM

Enchant

What I think this list needs is some more Enchant, especially their stuff from A Blueprint of the World. Awesome, awesome album.
BTW I am new here, how often are you allowed to request songs?
Old 07-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Owner/Program Director

You can request a song once per hour.

I've not heard Enchant's "A Blueprint..." yet. In general, I find Enchant to be marginally prog, so thus far I've been selective about adding more of them. But I'll give it a listen.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:27 PM

Thanks a lot! Come to think of it, I guess not all of Enchant's songs are entirely progressive. But I like 'em nonetheless
Old 07-21-2003, 10:13 PM

Enchant

Their first CD (Blueprint) is very much in the vein of Aural Moon - I think you will be surprised about this one. Steve Rothery guests on a couple of tracks. The songs are longer, contain a good amount of keyboards, and have a hint of Kansas in them.

The ensuing CD's are less and less progressive. The keyboardist had less of an influence, before leaving the band. I've only seen them live once, at Nearfest (to my knowledge, that was their first time east of the Mississippi). I enjoy the hell out of them, but I agree that it is "marginally" prog. However, there's a lot of stuff that fits that category that's played.

Blueprint is indeed awesome.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Owner/Program Director

Interesting that you said Kansas - I got a hold of Blueprint, and that was the first comparison that popped into my head.

I want to listen to it again, but I agree, much of it seems worthy of inclusion.

I too like Enchant, but as I've said before, I can't put everything I like on AM. Counting Crows, anyone? One of my favorite bands, but I wouldn't call 'em prog...
Old 07-22-2003, 10:00 PM

Inclusion

I have a whole scroll's worth of bands I like not "appropriate" for AM. Guilty pleasures, I call them. Lots of stuff that one would nail me to the wall on. Could be a possible thread.

I like my Crows (es) Black, I do not like to count them.

Actually, I cheated - the Enchant singer is wearing a Kansas T-shirt in the CD pictures. Sort of like Steve Harris from Iron Maiden wearing a Crest of A Knave Tull T-shirt on Powerslave.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:51 PM

Guilty pleasures is a great idea for a thread. I've thought about starting one a number of times...but someone braver than me will have to go first!
Old 07-24-2003, 06:49 AM

Guilty!

I may start it this weekend, if no one else does. Go for it!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:42 PM

Good God, I saw Counting Crows live in Memphis. I won't trash one of your favorite bands, but if I had had JUST ONE rotten tomato to heave at the stage.... Maybe it was just an off night for them.

They were followed by Live, the headline band. Fabulous band.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:54 PM

Live

the band from PA? Although popular, I'm not familiar with their stuff (except for a song or two). What are they like?
Old 07-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Owner/Program Director

RnR - Live is pretty good live. I have two of their CDs - pretty good hardish rock, with kind of an intense emotional edge. and a little more dynamic variety than I usually associate with "hard rock"

Black Max - Interesting that Live headlined - I saw the same billing, but Counting Crows headlined. I've seen them twice, once they were so-so (but I still enjoyed it since I like their songs so much), the second time (with Live) they were definitely on. Adam Duritz, their lead singer, seems to be a pretty moody guy, and I think a lot depends on his mood. It makes him a good lyrics writer, but potentially an inconsistent performer.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:38 PM

Live is a tremendous band, with enough technical proficiency and musical complexity to appeal to the prog lover in me. I definitely recommend them both for anyone who likes mature hard rock (i.e. Pearl Jam) and could make a case for a few of their tracks to be included on AM -- a few of their songs are at least as proggy as, say, Queensryche or King's X. The best albums to start with are their mainstays, "Throwing Copper" and "Secret Samahdi." There are plenty of terrific songs on their fourth album, "The Distance to Here," as well. I haven't heard their latest two albums yet.

Counting Crows and Live alternated between headlining and opening, depending on which concert you saw. (Nicely egalitarian of them!) Duritz was definitely having a bad night when I saw them.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Owner/Program Director

The Live albums I have are "Throwing Copper", and I echo the recommendation. I also have the prior one, "Mental Jewelry", and depending on my mood, sometimes prefer it. It is not quite as polished as Copper, but very appealing nonetheless.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:44 PM

"Mental Jewelry" is good, but definitely the work of a band who hasn't found themselves yet. Very restrained guitar and too much funk bass from Patrick. "TC" and "SS" are probably their best.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:24 AM

reviving a thread

I noticed there were only four Enchant songs on the playlist. Somewhere in my mind I knew there was a thread on this, but I post so much, I wasn't sure.

Back and forth I go on this topic, and everytime I think there's not enough Enchant on the playlist, I think of the stuff not on the playlist by other worthy artists.

Finally, I've come to the conclusion that with their output and more recent return to the prog style, the listeners would most certainly like to hear more of them. Adding the most recent "Tug of War" would give listeners a chance to really form a solid opinion on this band - it is a mature, incredibly solid effort with a lot of depth. If a good response is indicated, moving backwards through their catalogue would be a good plan.

"Blueprint of the World", their first release, is very much AM-worthy as it is. It's a great record. I hate to make this comparison, but it's better and more prog than late 80's Rush, 80's Yes, and a lot of other things.

Finally, I think what hold this band up from inclusion is the smooth vocals and excellent song structure. It is as prog as Iluvatar or Jadis, for instance - maybe it's almost too well produced to be taken as serious prog. Prog gods like the Flower Kings really only differ by having longer songs and quirky passages (and the recent jazz element). At its core, the songs a really very similar.

I most certainly agree with the fear of adding too much of the so-called "neo-prog" style. More of this may mean less of the other types. but these guys are tin top of their class, and a lot of other bands have nice catchy songs on AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JRV
Guilty pleasures is a great idea for a thread.

There is a guilty pleasures thread. It's old and buried, but you can dig it up.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:05 PM

The post to which you replied preceded creation of the Guilty Pleasure thread by several days.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:59 PM

?????

I'd rather not let this thread be converted again to "guilty pleasures"(especially since Enchant is not a guilty pleasure per se). We can cover that in the appropriate thread.

I am very interested in any comments regarding Enchant on Aural Moon.

Or to paraphrase Neil Peart, "If you choose not to reply you still have made a post".
Old 12-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Owner/Program Director

Re: reviving a thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I noticed there were only four Enchant songs on the playlist. Somewhere in my mind I knew there was a thread on this, but I post so much, I wasn't sure.

Adding the most recent "Tug of War" would give listeners a chance to really form a solid opinion on this band - it is a mature, incredibly solid effort with a lot of depth. If a good response is indicated, moving backwards through their catalogue would be a good plan.

"Blueprint of the World", their first release, is very much AM-worthy as it is. It's a great record. I hate to make this comparison, but it's better and more prog than late 80's Rush, 80's Yes, and a lot of other things..

I most certainly agree with the fear of adding too much of the so-called "neo-prog" style. More of this may mean less of the other types. but these guys are tin top of their class, and a lot of other bands have nice catchy songs on AM.
More "neo-prog" doesn't necessarily mean less "classic prog", other than the finite dollars issue. "A Blueprint Of The World" has been ripped, and it just waiting the next station update. Avian should be getting to it soon.

I own "Tug Of War", but have only listened to it once. Too much music, not enough time. I'll listen again. I also have "Break", and haven't been able to bring myself to add it - but it's definitely close. Any other opinions?
Old 12-28-2003, 11:14 PM

a yeoman's effort

We listeners don't see the behind the scenes effort you two put in on hearing this stuff. I, for one, appreciate the effort.

In response, "Break", "Time Lost", and "Wounded" are a bit more straightforward and could be omitted - "Blueprint" and "Tug of War" are very appropriate as bookends that really define the material well.

"Juggling 9" and "Blink of an Eye" are the other "addable" CD's.

Thanks, Jim.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: