Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Jeopardy, Watson the A.I., and Maserati

Hey, everyone.

So IMB Research has designed a computer to answer questions like a human, and it's taking on the two most celebrated champions in Jeopardy history this week. VERY interesting stuff.

Also cool, during the section when they're explaining Watson, the music is "Inventions" by Maserati, available at your local AM library.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: Jeopardy, Watson the A.I., and Maserati

I've been watching this. I'd say it's advantage is not the database knowledge, but the ability to ring in faster.

it's kinda fun, though.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 AM

I am a big fan of Jeopardy and have been looking forward to this exhibition. I agree with Dale; being able to ring in faster is the key. Ken Jennings often would ring in and then take some time to come up with the answer during his winning streak. I find it interesting that WATSON totally took a dive on the Final Jeopardy question last night. Given the category of US Cities, it should never have answered Toronto. It would know Toronto was a Canadian city.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Fossils are Rock!

There is a Toronto, Kansas (pop. 312)
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieval View Post
I find it interesting that WATSON totally took a dive on the Final Jeopardy question last night. Given the category of US Cities, it should never have answered Toronto. It would know Toronto was a Canadian city.
Are you trying to say that it's rigged! No....

But then he could have been fooled by the fact that they said "america" as opposed to the US, because technically the US & Canada are North America.

(This piece of useless information has been provided by Capt. Semantics)

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Neither the category nor the clue mentioned America. The category was US Cities. I just found this:
David Ferrucci, the manager of the Watson project at IBM Research, explained during a viewing of the show on Monday morning that several of things probably confused Watson. First, the category names on Jeopardy! are tricky. The answers often do not exactly fit the category. Watson, in his training phase, learned that categories only weakly suggest the kind of answer that is expected, and, therefore, the machine downgrades their significance. The way the language was parsed provided an advantage for the humans and a disadvantage for Watson, as well. "What US city" wasn't in the question. If it had been, Watson would have given US cities much more weight as it searched for the answer. Adding to the confusion for Watson, there are cities named Toronto in the United States and the Toronto in Canada has an American League baseball team. It probably picked up those facts from the written material it has digested. Also, the machine didn't find much evidence to connect either city's airport to World War II. (Chicago was a very close second on Watson's list of possible answers.) So this is just one of those situations that's a snap for a reasonably knowledgeable human but a true brain teaser for the machine.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
There is a Toronto, Kansas (pop. 312)
How many airports does it have?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Patron

Toronto's Island airport has recently been renamed Billy Bishop Airport, after a WWI flying ace. He's the dude who shot down the red baron...(it was NOT Snoopy)
Lester B. Pearson Airport is named after our 14th prime minister, who also served in WWI in the Royal Flying Corps, and was in the diplomatic corps in London during WWII.

FWIW - perhaps more trivia than you wanted to know.... but hey, aren't we Jeopardy fans all fans of useless trivia?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Okay, if you want a good laugh, watch this clip. Conan did a skit about Watson last night.

http://video.teamcoco.com/video/index.jsp?oid=244025
Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 PM

My $0.02: The important thing with IBM's Watson is the natural language processing and then the analytic software behind that question understanding and to be able give an answer and weight the probability that it is the correct answer, all within a couple of seconds so as not to "push the button" if the possible answer has a low probability of being correct. There's also some analytic processing in deciding how much to bet on the answer. In any event, I think this is a HUGE achievement in natural language processing, analytic processing and parallel processing. The specs on this beast are pretty amazing but even more amazing is the software IMHO, especially the parallelism of it.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM

You are absolutely correct. I mis-remembered it. Saw that when I watched Wednesday's conclusion.
Stupid brain cells, who needs them anyway.

Oh, yeah. I do.

One thing I do like about this is that answering questions isn't so cut and dry. I guess we're only as good as the information that's being fed to us. Hey, that would explain a lot in this world, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieval View Post
Neither the category nor the clue mentioned America. The category was US Cities. I just found this:
David Ferrucci, the manager of the Watson project at IBM Research, explained during a viewing of the show on Monday morning that several of things probably confused Watson. First, the category names on Jeopardy! are tricky. The answers often do not exactly fit the category. Watson, in his training phase, learned that categories only weakly suggest the kind of answer that is expected, and, therefore, the machine downgrades their significance. The way the language was parsed provided an advantage for the humans and a disadvantage for Watson, as well. "What US city" wasn't in the question. If it had been, Watson would have given US cities much more weight as it searched for the answer. Adding to the confusion for Watson, there are cities named Toronto in the United States and the Toronto in Canada has an American League baseball team. It probably picked up those facts from the written material it has digested. Also, the machine didn't find much evidence to connect either city's airport to World War II. (Chicago was a very close second on Watson's list of possible answers.) So this is just one of those situations that's a snap for a reasonably knowledgeable human but a true brain teaser for the machine.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
No clue anymore

How about stop watching TV, rise! Up off thy bloated arse! Go take in the good outdoors.

Sounds good to me.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me
Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFish View Post
How about stop watching TV, rise! Up off thy bloated arse! Go take in the good outdoors.

Sounds good to me.
Yeah, sounds great. You go on ahead and make camp. We'll be right behind you.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to PeterG

"I, for one, welcome our new computer Overlords."
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
"I, for one, welcome our new computer Overlords."
That is a truly scary statement.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me
Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Patron

well it will make it better for doctors once Watson gets out of Medical school, if they mis-diagnose you they can just blame the computer.

I wonder if you can sue a computer, I am sure we will soon find out
Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Banned

Question Re: Jeopardy, Watson the A.I., and Maserati

Yeah shure Watson may be faster than Humans, But can he bring you a cold beer in a tall glass?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Now that it's all over, here's two great articles on the whole thing.

http://www.slate.com/id/2284721/pagenum/all/#p2

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/416325...ion/?GT1=43001
Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Patron

As I watched the shows, and before I read articles about this event, two immediate things popped into my head and one writer had them both. The first was remembering that famous American folklore about John Henry. And the second was a more than passing resemblance to Arthur C Clarke's HAL and SAL 9000 computers.

And while it might be interesting to debate whether or not the game was fair (remember that Watson was fitted with a mechanical plunger as well), that wasn't really the point, but rather how something artificial could understand and interact in normal conversation while being able to process volumes of information and present mostly correct responses.

Talk about your PDA!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
Okay, if you want a good laugh, watch this clip. Conan did a skit about Watson last night.

http://video.teamcoco.com/video/index.jsp?oid=244025
It's about time that somebody took a baseball bat to IBM. Long overdue and well deserved it was.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: