Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2004, 08:42 AM

What is progressive rock??

This music station called Aural-Moon progressive music. Some music i listen on this station isn't progressive rock music. I think you can't call this station progressive

Progressive music: Pink floyd, Yes, Rush ,Dream Theater, IQ, Caravan, Flower Kings, Spock'Beard, Marillion, ELP,transatlantic and genesis.

This music is progressive. It sounds hard, instrumental, solo, and it isn't soft or boring.

That's my meaning about progressive rock
Old 04-16-2004, 11:13 AM

I will let Avian and Jim discuss this

But I will put in my 2 cents. First of all, your bio says you were born in 1997. You are precocious

My base music is what you like. Rush Tull etc. However, I also like fusion, funk, art, all kinds of things. Rush is on the Moon - I don't think that's progressive, ok? But I don't mind at all.

The only thing I will say is please do not worry about the label. That's all it is. The station needs to call it something. Would you rather have a cumbersome name that is unrepresentative?

This is a pointless discussion, unless you have an alternative. Please have an alternative - never say "you can't call it this" - no -you tell us what you would like it called. I can't stress that enough. If you complain, come up with something better!

There's been other threads about this. Please read those, too.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:15 AM

Re: What is progressive rock??

Quote:
Originally posted by transatlantic

Progressive music: Pink floyd, Yes, Rush ,Dream Theater, IQ, Caravan, Flower Kings, Spock'Beard, Marillion, ELP,transatlantic and genesis.

This music is progressive. It sounds hard, instrumental, solo, and it isn't soft or boring.

That's my meaning about progressive rock

Sorry one more.

Rush, transatlantic Dream Theater. Not very progressive.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:28 AM

Unhappy

sorry but you don't under stand my meaning of this thread. I want to know what is your meaning about progressive music.

If you like fusion. Why doi i hear fusion on an station that called progressive rock.

Call the station only aural moon or aural moon the station for the music that you like.

So conclusion: I want youtr opinion about the word progrssive rock.

I'am born in 1979
Old 04-16-2004, 11:30 AM

Re: What is progressive rock??

Quote:

Progressive music: Flower Kings, Spock'Beard, transatlantic
These three bands 'progressive'? 100% regressive!
It's not a malice, I only want to show you that term 'prog rock' is very imprecise. It can have different meanings:
- strictly literal, but then we can tell that only 70's bands like Yes or Genesis were really progressive as nowadays lions share of bands refer to the 70's, so they don't play progressive music
- conventional, but here the problem is that nobody knows where are the borders between rock and prog. These rules cannot be specified, because take for example Transatlantic's We All need Some Light. Is it prog? Yes and no.
- popular, nowadays there is tendence to treat progressive music as a 'platform' between 'ordinary radio rock' and avangarde. Quite good solution but here also we have a problem of undefined characteristics.

To sum up, music terminology is Augias stable. So don't be suprised about AM playlist.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:40 AM

Cool reply

you can't compare the music of '70 with the music that bands are making today: like spock's beard. I think the music is more agressive than than the '70 . '70 was more sympho music. more soft music. The progrock music in 2004 is harder rock musicc, a lot of instruments

Greetings transatlantic
Old 04-16-2004, 12:05 PM

It's the reverse - 70's more aggressive

I am a big hard rock (don't call it metal) fan - Sabbath, Maiden, Priest. That music had edge.

The music you speak of like OSI, etc are not really technically prog! The boundaries are just stretched.

If you got past the few bands you mentioned, you'd get a lot of heavy 70's & 80's prog. Try a few - request some.

My fellow Monnies, make some artist suggestions for our Holland friend!
Old 04-16-2004, 12:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Roxelle Send a message via Skype™ to Lady Roxelle
Calm down, the light now appears...

Transatlantic my friend:

Permit me introduce yourself: Iīm son of 70īs too, I grew in the 80īs hard rock ( and why not ) heavy gardens, so I discovered the progressive rock music in the early 90īs. For me it was a big discovery.
Accourding the definitions, progressive music can be all long duration musics, that sound as concept musics; various climate situations inside the same song; complexity in arrangement and in musicians performance; triping lyrics.

I think that under this definition, Dream Theater is prog as Rush. In my point of view, although I donīt like Dream Theater music.
So to close my reply, try this link: Is very elucidative, and it will help you to understand the Progressive Rock sub-genres, and space, art, fusion, symphonic, rock.

http://www.avila.med.br/closeto/arvore.html

Truly yours,
Vanila
Old 04-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Owner/Program Director

I don't have time right now to compose a well thought out reply. But, we at Aural Moon tend to use a looser definition of progressive rather than a tighter definition. That's not going to change.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:20 PM

Blimey, are we having this discussion again? Transatlantic dude, it says you've been a memeber of the Moon since... This month. Somebody's got to be mean, so it might as well be me. Don't show up somewhere and on your first day start criticizing it with your narrow definition and try to sound authoritative. The official workers at this station (Avian and ProgDirJim) and to a lesser extent the lesserlings (Roger.Lee, theoriginal_ib, ExtendedPlay, myself...) have worked hard to make this station the number one progressive rock station on the net. AM's been around since 1999 (or earlier) and has a huge library. If you'd care to do a little research, such authorities as AllMusic.com and The Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock lists literally dozens of subgenres. So until you are well versed in Kraut (Neu!, Kraftwerk), Neo-Kraut (To Rococo Rot), Canterbury (Gentle Giant, Soft Machine), Modern Experimental (Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Blue Man Group), Pop-Prog (Journey, Styx), Post-Rock (Mogwai, Tortoise, Billy Mahonie, The Letter E), and dozens of other prog-subgenres - I repeat - until you are well-versed in all of this, don't come to an established station patroned by literally hundreds of prog-lovers and tell us what is and is not progressive rock.

As for fusion, go to a research site like All Music Guide and search for Mahavishu Orchestra or Return to Forever and look at "related styles." Guess what you'll see? "Prog Rock/Art Rock."

In other words, if you are interested in your definition of prog only, and you don't think AM is that station, don't listen. Go elsewhere.

I'm gonna request some Journey for you now.

"Related Styles: Industrial Psychedelic Goth Rock Glam Rock Euro-Rock Kraut Rock Acid Rock Arena Rock British Metal Jazz-Rock Neo-Psychedelia Space Rock Guitar Virtuoso Progressive Metal Neo-Prog Experimental Rock Neo-Classical Metal Album Rock Canterbury Scene Obscuro Symphonic Black Metal Avant-Prog"
Old 04-16-2004, 06:46 PM

Sorry to say that but IMO you misssed the point of transatlantic doubts Yesspaz. It wan not a frontal attack on Aural Moon.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:01 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Yesspaz Sez:

Quote:
Somebody's got to be mean, so it might as well be me.
You're being a lot more gentle than I'd have been, had I felt like posting the first time I saw this screed.

I'm going to make a confession here, simply because there's a story that goes along with it that's very much akin to the situation here.

Y'see, I don't drink alcohol. I quit drinking in 1992 because, quite frankly, I was drinking myself into an early grave. I found "salvation" (read "holding on with both hands and white knuckles) in AA. I bounced in, hitting both sides of the doorjam. One of the traditions is that we take our program on the road. I was doing this, in a jail somewhere (y'all don't need to know where).

This is where it gets similar.

There was this inmate who was in for his third conviction of drunk driving. He was at a meeting, and he piped up, saying that "You know, I'd probably go there if ..." and proceeded to list a few things that he thought would make the program work for him.

Our response: "We'll take it under advisement."

I doubt he got the irony implicit.

So Transatlantic, I'd like to state personally:

"We'll take it under advisement."

El Queso Grande (ProgDirJim) sez:

Quote:
I don't have time right now to compose a well thought out reply. But, we at Aural Moon tend to use a looser definition of progressive rather than a tighter definition. That's not going to change.
To which I respond:

PAH-RAAAAIIIISE BE! </SouthernBabtisPreacher>

Trans: Take 'spaz's advice to heart. We're successful here. And I'm sure we'll all be truly disappointed if you decide we're not 'prog' enough for you. No, Really!

Roger "Lesserling? Cool! I've been promoted!" -dot- Lee
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
this station the number one progressive rock station on the net.
To quote Charlie Brown, "has everyone gone commercial"?

Old 04-17-2004, 12:13 AM

Rick!

Rick, love your levity!

And thanks for backing me up, Roger.Lee.

Last edited by Yesspaz : 04-17-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wojtek
Sorry to say that but IMO you misssed the point of transatlantic doubts Yesspaz. It wan not a frontal attack on Aural Moon.
Au Contraire Woj....

Quote:
This music station called Aural-Moon progressive music. Some music i listen on this station isn't progressive rock music. I think you can't call this station progressive
and

Quote:
[Pink floyd, Yes, Rush ,Dream Theater, IQ, Caravan, Flower Kings, Spock'Beard, Marillion, ELP,transatlantic and genesis] is progressive.... and it isn't soft or boring.

If that's not an attack by our newest member, I don't know what is. Look at the top of the first page of the forums. transatlantic is our newest member, and then he says that the station's not progressive. If that's the way he feels, why join and listen?

I've got no patience for that kind of nonsense...
Old 04-17-2004, 12:52 AM

Re: It's the reverse - 70's more aggressive

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll

My fellow Monnies, make some artist suggestions for our Holland friend!
Here goes!!!
Frank Mariano's Mahogany Rush
Armageddon
Bloodrock passage
Ahh and my Avatar Good old Captain Beyond
All Bands from the 70's that Rocked but most people never heard of em!!!!

Last edited by Michael : 04-17-2004 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:58 AM
KeithieW

The mad Brit sticks his 2p worth in.....

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!

Transatlantic, when you've been around here for a while, and I sincerely hope you do stay around, you will know that Yesspaz and I have the odd disagreement (all friendly) about a few things. However, I am in total agreement with Spaz here.

Aural Moon has a list of over 11,000 tracks all of which have been given the "OK" by Avian and prodirjim to be added to the playlist. True, there are some tracks that aren't progressive (Mozert and Beethoven for example) but I don't know of one radio station that sticks to it's remit 100%. Here in the UK we have "Classic FM" which throws in the odd Jazz or Rock track from time to time, for example.

With a playlist this size, if you can't find something that interests you and makes you want to click the request button then, maybe, you should, broaden your horizons. There is a wealth of music out there on the Moon that will delight you.

The people here on Aural Moon are one of the most passionate groups I have ever come accross in my 48 years on Earth and, like all families, we have our disagreements but the underlieing feeling is one of harmony and love nurtured by a passion for decent music.

Come and join the family transatlantic, I know you'll feel good.

By the way, if I have missed the point and you really do just want a definition of what we feel is prog, click this link and it will take you to some threads where this has been thrashed to death.

http://auralmoon.com/forum/search.ph...der=descending
Old 04-17-2004, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz

I've got no patience for that kind of nonsense...
Yesspaz, to begin with, of course I also see more nonsense than sense in it. But I think that these words result rather from superficial progressive rock knowledge than offensive attitude towards Aural Moon. I used to try to explain gently if I see (and here it is definitely seen) that a person is a prog rock layman. I think it is better solution to solve such problems in such way than 'welcoming' our new member with 'go elsewhere'. We can limit the answer to one sentence. As progressive rock bands have also straightforward rock songs on their albums, but because of the prog rock compositions advantage are called prog rock bands, Aural Moon doesn't have to have only 100% progressive songs, especially as there are some non-prog bands worth hearing.
Peace.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:19 AM

suggestions...

suggestions for transatlantic:

Sigur Ros
American Football
Adiemus
Iona
Don Caballero
Gentle Giant
Mike Oldfield
any Journey song that is on the Moon
Kansas
Godspeed You Black Emperor!
King Black Acid
Billy Mahonie
Tarentel
Neal Schon
PFM
Gong
Can
Faust
Neu!

and since you like Deram Theater/Transatlantic style...

Platypus
Liquid Tension Experiment
The Jelly Jam
Old 04-18-2004, 05:59 AM

Talking what a response

hi alle aural moon fans

First i want apologize for my reaction as a new member. But when i see the forum i get a lot of reactions.

I still be a listener to this great radio, because there are less places where you can find progressive music.
The interest for this musci start 4 years a go. When i listen to music like dream theater, rush, transatlantic,IQ, spock's beard and flower king.
But now i want to go farther in this music, because there is much more music than those groups in the genre progressive music. I can say: progressive music you can define in different ways

Transatlantic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: