Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Clockwork Angels

Just came across this which describes the story line behind Clockwork Angels by Rush. Neil seems to be revisiting Fountains of Lamneth but with an older perspective. Interesting to note for Spaz, who I know is disappointed by Neil's agnostic and almost anti-religious overtones in the past, it is interesting that the last sentence in the introduction to Wish Them Well is very similar to "turn the other cheek" from my Catholic upbringing. I think that Neil's disappointment with religion (here I take liberty in projected onto Neil my take) is that it seems to more often polarize than unite creating an "us versus them" mentality. You can still live by the pure sentiment of religion, love and respect, without belonging to a religion.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/CAlyrics.htm
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM

Re: Clockwork Angels

To view the lyrics click on the title of the song on the right hand side.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvinki View Post
... it seems to more often polarize than unite creating an "us versus them" mentality. You can still live by the pure sentiment of religion, love and respect, without belonging to a religion.
The genius, and flaw, of this type argument is there's no response anyone can make that doesn't validate "us versus them." That being said, the pure sentiment of religion is not love and respect, it is sin and grace. In other words, it's an answer to the question "How does a holy God restore a fallen humanity?" All the world's religions differ as to the answer of that question, or even how to word it, but they all agree on its basic premise. But don't take my word for it:

“Look, I’m sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as serpents and as harmless as doves. Because people will hand you over to the Sanhedrin and flog you in their synagogues, beware of them. You will even be brought before governors and kings because of Me, to bear witness to them and to the nations.

“Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will even rise up against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by everyone because of My name. But the one who endures to the end will be delivered. When they persecute you in one town, escape to another. For I assure you: You will not have covered the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

“Therefore, don’t be afraid of them, since there is nothing covered that won’t be uncovered and nothing hidden that won’t be made known. What I tell you in the dark, speak in the light. What you hear in a whisper, proclaim on the housetops. Don’t fear those who kill the body but are not able to kill the soul; rather, fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

“Therefore, everyone who will acknowledge Me before men, I will also acknowledge him before My Father in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven. Don’t assume that I came to bring peace on the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household."

- Jesus speaking to his disciples as recorded in Matthew 10.

And for the record, I'm very much looking forward to the new Rush album.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 PM

I was looking forward to your reply and you didn't disappoint me. I have been educated and thank you for that. It has given me a great insight into Christian religion which demands a bit more pondering.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:25 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Ah, Vax.

Thanks, Zvinki. I'm about as devout as you'll find, but this being a prog site, I tend to just bring it up when others bring it up.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Patron

Got my copy on pre-order with Amazon
Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM
la familia patron

Haven't been to the PO. Mine might be there.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Patron

4 the Warrior-servant

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: