Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Station News > Website
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Feature Request

This topic is being established for you to contribute your ideas for new features on the Aural Moon web site.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to lamour
Re: Feature Request

I think a either a countdown timer or just a "time of last request" on either the request page or the "rejected because it hasn't been an hour yet" page would be a nice addition.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Patron

Here my wish list :
  • Eliminate Visitor locations, takes from time to time to errors and has no added value in its present form
  • Time print in Shout box, like in old black (the actual feature with the minutes when you pass over the shouter stops to work after a couple of shouts (at least in FF).
  • Refresh of the members online
  • There are 2 logout buttoms on the left, the first one does not work (here in FF), so could be eliminated
  • You mentioned, that it is possible to synchronize the WPN with the actual playing instead of having it at random refresh, that would be nice.
  • If you put in again Rogues Gallery I would even send a pic..
  • If possible, I would place Jim's AM MIssion Statement on Mainpage, like the "Help to support AM", maybe Jim could write a combined thing.
  • And, please, don't show Rogor always in first place in Members online when he is in...

That's all for now.., I guess I you do only one or 2 of these it will cost you a hell of your free time..

Last edited by lotus : 06-18-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Patron

If you put in again Rogues Gallery I would even send a pic..

....I think I'm going to faint
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 AM

yes, please! bring back the Gallery!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Patron

Playlists and Requests

I know that telling what tracks are in the queue is against "da rulez", but perhaps ordering the upcoming artists in play sequence is allowed rather than the current alphabetical view.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Re: Playlists and Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
I know that telling what tracks are in the queue is against "da rulez", but perhaps ordering the upcoming artists in play sequence is allowed rather than the current alphabetical view.
OK. Let me explain a few things about requesting.

1. The user can only request once per hours. This is enforced by IP address and a lookup in the database. This is one of the few nearly sure bets when it comes to request. Of course, we all know that the IP issue can be circumvented. I will, in time, get to having this be based on username now that it is incorporated into the database. Out of the mayhem that was that abusive over-requester has come some good things.

2. Once you have made a request, the only sure thing is that you won't hear it within the hour of your requesting it.

Let me explain with an example. When it comes to requests, you can think of it as 2 queues. One I will call the Request Queue and the other is the Pending Queue. There is also a History Queue this the top entry being the item currently playing.

History Queue
ELP - Lucky Man
Gentle Giant - Alucard

Pending Queue
Yes - Heart Of The Sunrise
GYBE - who cares
Pink Floyd - Julia Dream

Request Queue
Yes - Close To The Edge
Pink FLoyd - Pow R. Toc H.
Genesis - Firth of Fifth
ELP - Karn Evil #9
King Crimson - Epitaph

Assume that no Genesis, Yes or Pink FLoyd has played recently.

Here is what will happen. SAM has taken the three tracks from the Request Queue (Yes, GYBE, and Pink Floyd) or has selected a track from the library. Since none of these has played in recent history, other users can request Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis. They cannot request any more ELP because it is NOW in the History Queue. Requests for an ELP will return "artist has recently played".
Since Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis are in the Pending Queue, SAM will not promote the requested Yes, Genesis, or Pink Floyd tracks anytime soon. What track will be next? Assuming that King Crimson has not played in recent history, SAM will likely put Epitaph in the Pending Request queue once the hour wait time has been exhausted.

So, what you are asking for is impossible. When you look on the Web Site and see the coming up list, what you see is the top 2 entries of the Pending Queue. The only thing that is a sure bet is the Pending QUeue but we are restricted in showing that.

The requests page collates artists in the request queue alphabetically. I could ORDER that queue by requested time but, if you understand the simple scenario outlined above, you will see that that too has no real relevance on what will play and in what order.

FYI, I will make this a FAQ item too.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Here my wish list :

[*]Eliminate Visitor locations, takes from time to time to errors and has no added value in its present form
Easily done.

Quote:
[*]Time print in Shout box, like in old black (the actual feature with the minutes when you pass over the shouter stops to work after a couple of shouts (at least in FF).
There are a number of things I want to change about the shout box. I'll work on this too.

Quote:
[*]Refresh of the members online
How often?

Quote:
[*]There are 2 logout buttoms on the left, the first one does not work (here in FF), so could be eliminated
I have referred this to the Dept. of Redundancy Dept. and I am awaiting their redundant redundant reply as to whether or not or whether not to remove the redundant redundancy.

Quote:
[*]You mentioned, that it is possible to synchronize the WPN with the actual playing instead of having it at random refresh, that would be nice.
All we need is an ACCURATE clock on the streaming server. I haven't a clue as to whether or not miniscule-n-flaccid Weendoze can be configured to use NTP. If so, somebody please tell me how. I tend NOT to touch things on that box as there are already enough festering boils, compliments of Billzebub, with which to contend.

Quote:
[*]If you put in again Rogues Gallery I would even send a pic..
Joomla does have a Gallery function. I've not looked at it. If people want a new gallery, the first thing I will need is something to post in it (ie. your photos).

Quote:
[*]If possible, I would place Jim's AM MIssion Statement on Mainpage, like the "Help to support AM", maybe Jim could write a combined thing.
It's software! Anything is possible unless you are cursed with the festering buttocks boil known as miniscule-n-flaccid Weendoze. I've seen more ugliness in Billzebub's brainfart known as Internet Exploiter in the past few days to make me want to drill my eyeballs out of their sockets with a power auger.

My question is where to display it. I think it should go in the FAQ but that is just my personal opinion and we can't have any of that around here now can we?

Quote:
[*]And, please, don't show Rogor always in first place in Members online when he is in...
Do you have a preferential order???

I have been in that member list code. I would like to have members shown by status... (eg, Members, Patrons, Admin). I've already added the Admin. I need to look at the forum database some more to get at the patron status.

Quote:
That's all for now.., I guess I you do only one or 2 of these it will cost you a hell of your free time..
Oh joy, a list of programming tasks!

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 PM

A few things...

Any reduction of redundancy is welcome. I addition to what Lotus mentioned, there are a few more stale items on the page...just blow them away...(actually just looking it looks like you have...that's good)

My opinion would be to farm out the Gallery, like the news is done with Mortis.

I'm not a big fan of the member status. Just more clutter. The user name should be enough....

About the request queue...also the shows can throw that off also. The queue looks good as it is.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 06-19-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:40 AM
Patron

How often?

Once every 5 min?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:30 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
A few things...

Any reduction of redundancy is welcome. I addition to what Lotus mentioned, there are a few more stale items on the page...just blow them away...(actually just looking it looks like you have...that's good)
The real estate of the main page is limited so any redundancy should go.

Avian did, IMHO, a nice job of getting a lot of information on the main page without making it too busy. I've been trying to add more without debasing Avian's original design. Hence, things like the scrolling history.

Quote:
My opinion would be to farm out the Gallery, like the news is done with Mortis.
That's probably doable. However, I still need to see how the Joomla Gallery looks and get it implemented. I'll need some photos for it but I suppose I could just toss in a few test photos.

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the member status. Just more clutter. The user name should be enough....
The idea would be to color code them. For example, regular members in white, patrons in gold, admins some other color which will contrast well against the blue background.

Quote:
About the request queue...also the shows can throw that off also. The queue looks good as it is.
Forgot to mention that but you're right. The real issue is that I could show a longer view into the Pending Queue (ie., the coming up items on the main page if it was permissible) but I have no way of knowing what will be pulled from the request queue.

The one admin page I recently put together shows this clearly. Perhaps, on Thursday, I will capture one such page and show all in this thread. I'll blank out usernames but you'll get a better understanding since the page shows requests in terms of their request history (request time-stamp).

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-20-2007, 05:32 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
How often?

Once every 5 min?
That's the problem with AJAX (the A is for Asynchronous). I'd like to think about this and see if it is possible to have the update keep in step with users as they sign-on. If I can get the time set on the streaming server, I can handle the "ON THE AIR" refresh much better. That's won't help the member list though.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post

That's probably doable. However, I still need to see how the Joomla Gallery looks and get it implemented. I'll need some photos for it but I suppose I could just toss in a few test photos.

The idea would be to color code them. For example, regular members in white, patrons in gold, admins some other color which will contrast well against the blue background.

Forgot to mention that but you're right. The real issue is that I could show a longer view into the Pending Queue (ie., the coming up items on the main page if it was permissible) but I have no way of knowing what will be pulled from the request queue.

The one admin page I recently put together shows this clearly. Perhaps, on Thursday, I will capture one such page and show all in this thread. I'll blank out usernames but you'll get a better understanding since the page shows requests in terms of their request history (request time-stamp).
You should have a FEW photos!

The color coding is a nice touch.

For me at least, the 24 hour history coupled with the what's up next works just fine.

Sounds like a Thursday theme...."A place in the queue"..
Old 06-20-2007, 07:45 AM

it's all good, Vax, thanks.

as far as pictures are concerned, do you know a good photographer?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
You should have a FEW photos!
Yeah, 1 or 2.

Quote:
The color coding is a nice touch.
The idea is to convey information without making the page busy. I can cite plenty of bad examples of that -- like most of the pages on MyWaste.com. In addition, it should be easy to find info. My fave example, see how long it will take you to find my name in links on HP's OpenVMS pages ( http://hp.com/go/OpenVMS/ ). No cheating with Google!

Quote:
For me at least, the 24 hour history coupled with the what's up next works just fine.
Which is likely how it will stay. I'm adding some code to allow a 'clickable' larger view window of the recently played history but I won't go back farther than 24 hours of history.

Quote:
Sounds like a Thursday theme...."A place in the queue"..
You've heard it folks... Rick has called the theme!

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Patron

Quote:
The requests page collates artists in the request queue alphabetically. I could ORDER that queue by requested time but, if you understand the simple scenario outlined above, you will see that that too has no real relevance on what will play and in what order.

FYI, I will make this a FAQ item too.
Wow, impressive write-up. A FAQ for this would certainly be a nice to have. I seem to be making a habit of asking for these.

FWIW, while I didn't understand the exact method used for managing the queue, I kinda got a sense for how it worked. Just showing the relative ordering of the request queue by request time itself is a gross enough cut and is what my original request was based on.

The whole purpose of this really is about time management and to get a high level sense of when one's request will get played in the next 60-90 minutes. (Even here there is a great amount of imprecision because it only takes a few 26 min plus long songs to mess you up.)

Thanks for listening,
Carl
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to PeterG

Quote:

I've seen more ugliness in Billzebub's brainfart known as Internet Exploiter in the past few days to make me want to drill my eyeballs out of their sockets with a power auger.
I've got some 8" stainless steel spikes you can borrow....

http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2995
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
as far as pictures are concerned, do you know a good photographer?

Hmm

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
Wow, impressive write-up. A FAQ for this would certainly be a nice to have. I seem to be making a habit of asking for these.

FWIW, while I didn't understand the exact method used for managing the queue, I kinda got a sense for how it worked. Just showing the relative ordering of the request queue by request time itself is a gross enough cut and is what my original request was based on.

The whole purpose of this really is about time management and to get a high level sense of when one's request will get played in the next 60-90 minutes. (Even here there is a great amount of imprecision because it only takes a few 26 min plus long songs to mess you up.)

Thanks for listening,
Carl
My ONLY issue with ordering it by the entry (requested) time-stamp is that people may misconstrue the ordering and then I'll hear, "Why did that request play before mine when I requested my at 0600 and that one was requested hours later?"

Also, since it is only a list of artists in the request queue, it's does seem easier to scan the list alphabetically.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I've got some 8" stainless steel spikes you can borrow....
I don't believe those will do justice. Miniscule-n-flaccid's abhorrent abomination referred to as Internet Exploiter is so gruesomely hideous that the aftermath of gouging one's eyes out with a power auger would be an obsequious spectacle tantamount to IE's deplorable shitiness.

Cogito ergo iMac.