Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2001, 07:21 PM

Question And another list....

I had such a good time running thru the "who's your fav top ten songs" and "who's your fav vocalist" threads that I thought I'd start another:

Who's your favorite (let's say top 5) prog guitarists? and why?

So since I started this, I guess I better go first:}

1. Steve Howe - while Yes isn't my favorite band, Howe's incredible abilities across so many styles seperates him from the pack for me. Besides, hearing Starship Trooper when I was 10 yrs old is what first lead down the prog rock path.

2. Steve Hackett - Power chords? who needs 'em?

3. David Gilmour - From Meddle to Comfortably Numb

4. Alex Lifeson - Ok, OK so I do like power chords now and then, and Alex can do a whole lot more as well.

5. Frank Zappa - One of the most creative musicians of all time. Give "black napkins" a listen if you get a chance. 'nuff said.

Pretty mainstream I admit. Again, I joined AM to "seek out new forms of prog and boldly go where... well where I havn't been before". To that end Djam Karet has been my favorite new find. Maybe this list will change for me soon.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:52 PM

Top 5 "prog" guitarists

1)David Gilmour - Once again, I don't really consider Pink Floyd to be Progressive Rock, but I feel as though he can't be excluded from this list. Gilmour plays some of the most emotional, atmospheric guitar I have ever heard. I absolutely love the stuff he played on 'Meddle' ('Echoes' in particular), as well as 'Atom Heart Mother'. Not to mention 'Animals' and practically every other Floyd album, except PatGoD (which features Syd of course).

2)Robert Fripp - Nice, jazzy style. Very different from most rock guitarists. It sort of has a fusion-like, John McLaughlin quality to it.

3)John McLaughlin - John isn't really a "prog" guitarist, but Mahavishnu Orchestra is often categorized as "prog" (it's really Fusion Jazz), so I thought I'd include him. John's by far the best jazz guitarist I've ever heard. If you've never heard any of his stuff, you're missing out big time!

4)Steve Hackett - His guitar work perfectly complemented Genesis' sound. I feel he is somewhat underrated as a guitarist. Just listen to his solo on 'Firth of Fifth'. Absolutely beautiful!

5)Manuel Gottsching (Ash Ra Tempel) - Probably the most underrated guitarist ever. Some of his stuff is absolutely awe inspiring. Very trippy too!

Honorable Mentions:

Michael Karoli (Can)
Pye Hastings (Caravan)
Frank Zappa
Steve Howe (though I hate Yes)
Daevid Allen (Gong)

Last edited by TagoMago : 10-14-2001 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:06 AM
Owner/Program Director

Haha

This is funny. I have a really good friend who's a really good guitar player - and this list reminds me of a game we play - "Name 20 guitar players better than Clapton". For the record, I think Eric Clapton is an excellent guitar player, but I do think he's overrated. I think the forum has come up with excellent names - Gilmour is not the most talented, but I think the most tasteful. Steve Howe, the most creative. Larry Mitchell - the best. Listen to "Political Rain" - I've seen him do it live, and there's no overdubs - tell me what you think...
Old 10-15-2001, 02:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lost Dreams
Underrated!

Steve Rothery. Yeah, I know: 'what did he do that was so great?' Granted, some of his recent work is very unfulfilling, but he did stuff when Fish was still with Marillion that was OUTSTANDING! Slainte Mhath is a good example of delicate playing that is kinda hidden amongst some great keywork by Mark Kelly. It wasn't until Marillion.com was released before Rothery found his chops again, imo. If any of you listen to Marillion and know of a solo (or even a good melody) that Rothery played, say something so I can get my eyes re-opened. That's all for now.

N
E
X
T
(subtle Alex Harvey reference there)
Old 10-16-2001, 07:38 PM
skunkonius

Several lists and no one has mentioned Steve Morse.

I have seen him several times with the Dregs and I have never seen (or heard) anyone quite like him.
Old 10-18-2001, 04:55 PM

1. Alex Lifeson - simply awe inspiring ability. Rush introduced me on to prog rock and remains my favorite group.

2. Frank Zappa - virtuoso skill combined with an unequaled imagination and compositional abilities.

3. Martin Barre - I just really like his style of guitar playing.

4. David Gilmour - It's Pink Floyd, what's not to love about it?

5. Richard Williams - I've rated him this high because Steve-cubed (Howe, Morse, Hackett) have already been mentioned and I like his style just as much as I like thiers

Honorable Mention:

Steve Vai - probably the best guitar player on the planet (way better than Clapton/Townsend, chuckle) and I would have rated him number two except he isn't primarily a prog rock artist.
Old 10-26-2001, 07:35 PM

1. Alex Lifeson
2. Steve Howe
3. John Petrucci
4. Ty Tabor
5. Rich Williams
Old 10-30-2001, 02:54 PM

guitarists

Steve Howe (Yes)
Wes Montgomery (solo jazz)

Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Mike Oldfield (solo)
Ty Tabor (King's X) - Bob Lentil is a smart guy
John MacLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orchestra; Shakti)
Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
Neal Schon (Journey) - forget the radio stuff, listen to album cuts and be amazed

Yesspaz out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: