Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to lamour
Phil Collins

Ok, first, an admission that will probably surprise long time listeners. I've been listening to some Genesis songs on Spotify to try to see if I can grow to appreciate their sound more. I've found a few songs that I like (in your wardrobe?), but the more I listen to them, the more I'm left with the same opinion of Phil that I've always had...

I constantly hear that Phil is a great drummer. I find him to be really boring. I'm not saying that he's a BAD drummer. I'm saying that I find what he plays to be entirely uninteresting. So...can someone suggest some songs I can listen to to hear why everyone thinks he's so great? I'm not trolling. This is a serious request.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Re: Phil Collins

Lamour, my man, I too am not a huge Genesis fan. My "classic" prog bands list included Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Oldfield, and early Kansas, and Jethro Tull (Aqualung to Gallery), but I never could get into ELP (the poster boys for all the attacks on prog) or Genesis. Genesis just never "did it" for me.

As for Phil's drumming, he's more of a "constructor of drumlines" than a solo-er, so maybe that's what you're hearing, or not hearing. But the place to really get where the praise comes from is not Genesis, it's Brand X, Collins's fusion band.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to lamour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
As for Phil's drumming, he's more of a "constructor of drumlines" than a solo-er, so maybe that's what you're hearing, or not hearing. But the place to really get where the praise comes from is not Genesis, it's Brand X, Collins's fusion band.
I almost added a paragraph about Brand X. Feel free to list Brand X songs. I own one Brand X album (Unorthodox Behaviour). I've heard stuff from most of the others. Hasn't changed my opinion of him. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention.

my problem really hinges on the fact that he seems to be a fairly straight ahead kind of player. I've never really noticed him doing anything out of the ordinary. he doesn't strike me as a creative player. if there are good examples to show otherwise, I'd like to focus on those.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 AM

There are a few tunes from "And then they were three" on which he adds some nice flourishes (not sure of the names of the tunes, I'll have to check them out). Also on Seconds Out (live) he has a few moments. But if you don't like his style of drumming, not sure you ever will... It's more a question of feeling rather than one of technique with him, imo. A bit like Metheny's style of guitar playing.

But still, I applaud your initiative. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Lamour, I agree with Marq in that you should listen to some of Seconds Out, specifically the instrumental sections of Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth. I know that it is a blend of him with either Bruford (Cinema Show) or Thompson (FoF), but it really captures his style. I also think the Dukes Travels and Dukes End off the Genesis Duke CD are great choices.

PC is not a flashy player like a Palmer, Pert or Portnoy, but he is extremely tasteful. Like Bruford, sometimes it's not what he plays, but what he doesn't play that makes his style stand out. He doesn't "overplay". If you are looking for a spot light grabbing master technician, then look elsewhere, but if you want a drummer that creates the perfect part for the music, I think Phil is one of the best.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

Talking Re: Phil Collins

Dance on a Volcano from Trick of the tail. & I always liked the druming on The Supernatural Amesthnatist from The Lamb. They both have some nuts. And The songs he plays on Brand X's Livestock show him at his peak. speed and creative wise. Check out Brand X's Missing Period cd too. But then again being as you don't like drum solo's you may never come around.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Fun Fact
Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Listen to Down and Out from 'and then there were three' and pay attention to the drums...

Then listen to the jazzy colour he adds to 'Rhesus Perplexus' from Brand X's Products.

He's pretty good on the whole Moroccan Roll album also (tunes like Hate Zone, Macrocosm). And on the livestock recording he's pretty alive on the 3 tunes on which he appears.

But like I said earlier, if he's not your cup of tea, no matter how often you listen to him, you will always find his style of drumming to be boring, and that's cool. We can't all enjoy everything.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Nice topic lamour..I recognize him like a musician first, drummer second. I put ears in his playing in B_X Livestock....and Abacab not in Gen. classic albums.
I think we re agree he s not a reference point for drummers, not great chops and phenomenal ideas and techniques but he works his sound, he has some tiny figures or patterns giving interesting collaboration to the compositions, I mean he s commitment with music that he / they play...I dont hear him behind, ...His playing is enough for what they doing..no need a great drumm solo,,,,boring to me is a drummer just playing time, plain,,..Collins is beyond that..and maybe less than a great drummer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: