Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2004, 03:24 PM

John Coltrane ?

ok I know this is jazz, but he opened a lot of path s to improvisers, and not to forget that some of the tracks are really long, with a lot of solis, and great musicality.For instance A love Supreme
Old 03-03-2004, 07:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to PlayingTheFool Send a message via AIM to PlayingTheFool Send a message via Yahoo to PlayingTheFool
Re: John Coltrane ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharuru
ok I know this is jazz, but he opened a lot of path s to improvisers, and not to forget that some of the tracks are really long, with a lot of solis, and great musicality.For instance A love Supreme
I vote on A Love Supreme as well.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canterbury_Scene/
Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 PM

Thumbs down Nope

I vote a resounding No. I have A Love Supreme. Great album. But a Jazz album. Not a prog album. Not art-rock, smart-rock, experimental rock, post-rock, fusion, jazz fusion, electronica, psych, Kraut, Canterbury, or any other progressive rock sub-genre. No pure jazz. I'm against it for the same ideology I'm against classical on AM. In case you are thinking I'm just a jazz-hater, I'm listening to Ornette Coleman's album "The Shape of Jazz to Come" as I write this.

There are many sub-genres of jazz. Just to name a few:
Bop, Hard Bop, Bebop, Acid, Free, Cool, Dixieland, Big Band, Swing, Jazz Fusion, Experimental, Trip-Hop, and many others. The only ones that fit a Prog-Rock idea (in my "educated" opinion) is jazz fusion, and SOME Trip-Hop (like Massive Attack) and SOME experimental jazz (like Medeski, Martin, and Wood), but even then I'd limit it to certain tracks.

If you think I've come off too strong or am over-reacting, then reply and debate with me. I live for this stuff (ok, not really). In regards to adding jazz to AM, I just want to "nip it in the bud" now. That's why this post is so strong.

( )

Last edited by Yesspaz : 03-03-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:24 PM

Second Reply

As for the "influence on progressive rock" argument I'm sure is to come up, I refute this too. Yes, jazz had a big influence on a lot of progressive rock, as did classical. Some would say they should be represented for this reason. I think this logic is weak (at best). For instance, let me use the analogy of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

First, it is the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame, yet look at this cut and paste of Jelly Roll Morton's entry:

Inductee: Jell Roll Morton (piano, vocals; born 10/20/1890, died 7/10/41)
Jelly Roll Morton is a seminal figure in the birth and development of jazz in the early decades of this century. A multi-talented pianist, composer, arranger and bandleader, he has been called "one of the handful of Atlases upon whose shoulders rests the entire structure of our music" by jazz historian Orrin Keepnews.

I like Jelly Roll Morton; have two of his songs on my computer. But look at his death date: 1941. Rock was born at the earliest in 1952. Jelly Roll Morton in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame? I don't get it. Yes, he's in the "early influences" section, but I still don't get it. I like Jelly Roll Morton. Put him in the JAZZ hall of fame. One day I'm sure there will be a Hip-Hop Hall of Fame. Should Aerosmith get in it because they were an influence on Run-DMC? Of course not.

So, analogy over, back to jazz on AM. AM is, as far as the front page says, "The Net's Progressive Rock Garden." Two key words: "Progressive," and "Rock." Coltrane and others like him are not Rock, and you can't really call him progressive either (although I'm the first to jump on the "art" bandwagon. Still he's not "art-rock).

Well, I'm sure I'll be blasted for this, but now I'll hobble off to bed (hobbling because I've been on my high-horse for a while now).

Yesspaz out.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:32 AM

There's tons of music on Aural Moon not strictly progressive. Nor is that music in any of your sub-genres you have either quoted or made up (especially that "smart-rock" thing you said).

Doesn't matter to me what's included. Let Jim and Avian decide, and roll with it.

When you start quoting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, we've gone over the edge.

This discussion is incredibly tiresome, Yesspaz.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: