Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Extended Play
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2004, 10:39 PM

Mar 7 & 8 - Something Smells Funny

I. Hot Rats (Frank Zappa) 1969

Among the first jazz-rock fusion albums, Hot Rats gained Zappa limited notoriety in the states but soared into the top 10 in Great Britain. I have a hard time believing it was the absolute first, as some claim, but it definitely set a high watermark for the genre. If you own the CD, seek out the LP (or vice-versa) as they contain interrestingly different mixes.
[list=1][*]Peaches en Regalia (Zappa) - 3:39 [*]Willie the Pimp (Zappa) - 9:16 [*]Son of Mr. Green Genes (Zappa) - 9:00 [*]Little Umbrellas (Zappa) - 3:04 [*]The Gumbo Variations (Zappa) - 16:56 [*]It Must Be a Camel (Zappa) - 5:17 [/list=1]
II. Bitches Brew (Miles Davis) 1969

If Zappa further funked-up rock with Hot Rats, Miles Davis gave Jazz a whole new groove on Bitches Brew. Of course, the Bitches Brew period gave Jazz [and Miles] a whole new outlook, but it also heavily influenced the direction his backing band took when they branched-off as Weather Report. Nonetheless, this is as difficult as it is beautiful. Don't be surprised if you don't get it at note 1.
[list=1][*]Pharaoh's Dance (Zawinul) - 20:05 [*]Bitches Brew (Davis) - 26:58 [*]Spanish Key (Davis) - 17:32 [*]John McLaughlin (Davis) - 4:22 [*]Miles Runs the Voodoo Down (Davis) - 14:01 [*]Sanctuary (Shorter) - 10:56[/list=1]
III. Headhunters (Herbie Hancock) 1973

Herbie's Jazz-Funk trip of Headhunters went over huge in the 70s, eventually charting as one of the biggest selling Jazz albums of all time. Of course, that doesn't mean it's cheap or tacky (style and honestly can be appealing too). Herbie really shows his chops on here with some great keyboard work here (synthetic and acoustic/electric). Consider it a welcome cool-down from Bitches Brew.
[list=1][*]Chameleon (Hancock/Jackson/Mason/Maupin) - 15:38 [*]Watermelon Man (Hancock) - 6:28 [*]Sly (Hancock) - 10:18 [*]Vein Melter (Hancock) - 9:10 [/list=1]

Last edited by Extended Play : 03-05-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:17 AM

Great EP !!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:19 PM

This the the first EP show that I happen to own all of the discs being played.... That probably means something, but I have no idea what...
Old 03-05-2004, 08:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to PlayingTheFool Send a message via AIM to PlayingTheFool Send a message via Yahoo to PlayingTheFool
Damn!!! THis is one hell of a show Tommy!!!!

I own all of those three albums & they truely rule!

AWESOME!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canterbury_Scene/
Old 03-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Patron

YOu really did it this time Tommy!

you managed to get 3 perfect memories...and i have all three too! a perfect show tommy...a perfect show!...Xceptional!

lovingly
poda
Old 03-10-2004, 01:02 PM

Thanks y'all. It's always nice to hear that people are enjoying the show. Still haven't decided on this week's setlist, but I should have something up tonight.

Tommy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: