Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
iMoon

Hey all - hope everyone's doing well! Also thanks to everyone who purchases CDs through the Buy Now link on the what's playing now window - the commissions from that are being well spent by Jim on great new Moonomaterial (not sure if this had been mentioned in another thread).

Saw this article this morning, and wanted to share it with everyone. What do you think? Aural Moon on the iPhone?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...e=search_story
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: iMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Saw this article this morning, and wanted to share it with everyone. What do you think? Aural Moon on the iPhone?

I've been listening to Aural Moon on the road for the past 2 years already! Using EVDO and my Mac's iTunes and, more recently, the same EVDO with XMMS under Ubuntu Linux. The Linux laptop is smaller than my 17" Powerbook making a better fit in the vehicle and it's a cheap ($10) eBay purchase; thus, you won't see a grown man crying if said laptop is damaged in a vehicle mishap like you would if I used my Powerbook! Therefore, I believe that accessing internet radio and, specifically, AM on an iPhone would be great. The iPhone is a much smaller footprint than any of my laptops.

The problem, at the moment, is that the iPhone is predicated on having an AT&T mobile service contract. As much as I'd love to have an iPhone, I wouldn't change carriers just for its technology.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Patron

THe iphone seems to be great except that it is (in Dk) far too expensive to run - there's a 300MB download curfew which will make it impossible to listen to AM wihout going broke. The Vax solution on the road is far more economical but for some the iPhone is a necessary phallos to have. I wouldn't as yet go for it.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian

And also, there are other PDAs and smartphones that let you listen to shoutcast stations on your TMD (Tiny Mobile Device). But the iPhone is one of those devices that would make it so much easier, and probably offer other computer functionality, such as streamripping and (gasp) even broadcasting!

I'm with you too, on the price and excusivity - it doesn't justify us getting one and spending so much more money. But damn, we're tempted!

A
Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 AM

Would you all like someone to make IMoon software not just for iphones but ipods?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003

Quote:
And also, there are other PDAs and smartphones that let you listen to shoutcast stations on your TMD (Tiny Mobile Device). But the iPhone is one of those devices that would make it so much easier, and probably offer other computer functionality, such as streamripping and (gasp) even broadcasting!

I'm with you too, on the price and excusivity - it doesn't justify us getting one and spending so much more money. But damn, we're tempted!

A
We had to pick up M's latest set of spectacles yesterday, so I stopped in the Apple store to check out an iPhone. The current iTunes app doesn't handle streaming audio; not that it couldn't if the argument for it was made. I'd wager that there are some apps out there to add streaming capability. It did download the AM web site; albeit, rather slowly. I get better web performance on my laptop and Sprint EVDO which is WHY I won't switch to AT&T. Despite performance claims of other carriers, I've sat next to others while they were on their provider's EVDO and compared download speeds. I always beat them.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
We had to pick up M's latest set of spectacles yesterday, so I stopped in the Apple store to check out an iPhone. The current iTunes app doesn't handle streaming audio; not that it couldn't if the argument for it was made. I'd wager that there are some apps out there to add streaming capability. It did download the AM web site; albeit, rather slowly. I get better web performance on my laptop and Sprint EVDO which is WHY I won't switch to AT&T. Despite performance claims of other carriers, I've sat next to others while they were on their provider's EVDO and compared download speeds. I always beat them.
You've probably heard ATT (formerly Cingular)'s claims about fewest dropped calls? It's true - know why? Fewest subscribers. Percentage wise the major carriers are nearly identical, with Verizon actually having the lowest dropped call rate. (the delta is less than 1% IIRC). Verizon has the best data network of any carrier in the US, hands down.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
You've probably heard ATT (formerly Cingular)'s claims about fewest dropped calls? It's true - know why? Fewest subscribers. Percentage wise the major carriers are nearly identical, with Verizon actually having the lowest dropped call rate. (the delta is less than 1% IIRC). Verizon has the best data network of any carrier in the US, hands down.
I was amazed at how slow the AT&T net was when playing with the iPhone. However, I sat down with a friend of mine who has a Verizon EVDO and compared download speeds from myriad sources. Timing various downloads together and separately, I beat his best every time.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 08-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Patron

Aural Moon on the iPhone? Yes you can!

Quote:
Hey all - hope everyone's doing well! Also thanks to everyone who purchases CDs through the Buy Now link on the what's playing now window - the commissions from that are being well spent by Jim on great new Moonomaterial (not sure if this had been mentioned in another thread).

Hi,

Glad to see this post. I've been waiting patiently for something to replace my aging Palm Treo 650. Settled on the iPhone 3G. Because of PocketTunes on the 650, I desparately needed a solution for the iPhone to listen to my favorite radio station.

I am happily listening to AM on my iPhone 3G (presently using wifi but it does work just fine over AT&T's data network too). I had to purchase Nullriver's Tuner Internet Radio (TIR ) software which is found on Apple's app store. Basic software that gets the job done. Strangely, Apple did not provide the same streaming function in the mobile iTunes application that it's mac or PC counterpart has.

Some minor nits. I have seen some out of memory messages already, and it doesn't play in the background from what I can tell. Would be handy for instance to listen while surfing. Perhaps a future enhancement.

Avian, I did checkout that article and AOL Radio does seem like a very nice free addition. For my local area in West Palm, I only found 4 stations, so it's no substitute for a real radio. I couldn't figure out a way to modify the station list in the AOL player to add my own. You would need a way to add the 128k stream somehow into the player. TIR allowed me to do that.

Another problem you are going to find, and so far the iPhone 3G's app store doesn't offer this, a way to listen to the plethora of stations playing in WMA or Real Player. A federated player that is willing to pay all the license fees is needed, but in my lifetime?

Cheers,
Carl

Last edited by gr8sho92 : 08-17-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Fix title
Old 03-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Therefore, I believe that accessing internet radio and, specifically, AM on an iPhone would be great. The iPhone is a much smaller footprint than any of my laptops.
Been listening to Auralmoon regularly on my iPhone at 128k speed. AT&T's 3G service is pretty good in my area and I can have my AM streaming in the car pretty much everyplace I drive and behaves similar to Sat radio except I need to use the phone's UI, which is fine for me.

I have a few apps that can play AM at 128k, but today I noticed that WunderRadio app provided a version 1.6 upgrade. They now provide a native browser in the app that allows surfing while listening to the radio station, which is pretty neat since Apple hasn't allowed many apps to run in background mode. Now I can run the AuralMoon website and callup the 128K stream right off the home page link (have to login for this). If i were so inclined I could carry on a shout conversation right from the phone itself. Pretty slick.

IIRC, the app cost me all of $6.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: