Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2003, 09:09 AM

What are your Progressive Rock Roots?

Progressive Rock is almost as hard to pin down as Jazz. We all have our leaning on what it is (or should be). This discussion is not meant to debate what Progressive Rock is but to say what it is and means to you. For me it's Rock/ Classical with interesting changes and vocal/lyrics.
I was lucky enough to have grown up in the early 70's (the height of Progressive Rock) and always loved it and have been trying to find some new material to expand my horizons. I have been trying out some of the great groups that have been suggested here. Some I really liked and some sounded like reincarnations of old bands.

The other day I decided to dust off some old LP's and give them a spin. What a discovery I made! I played Selling England By the Pound and Fox Trot back to back. I know some of you are saying DUH! but it had been so long since I listened to them all the way through, (and I have been beaten over the head with Phil Collins/Genesis Singles for so long) I had forgotten how good the Old Genesis was. I cut my Progressive Rock teeth on Old Genesis, ELP, Camel, Gong, Yes etc.(do any of you remember the Great Yes debate (Who's better with Yes? Patrick Maraz (sp?) or Rick Wakeman) I have seen all these bands numerous times and can't believe I had left them on the shelf so long!

Dig deep pull out an old favorite and take a ride down nostalgia lane and let us know about it.

Thanks Aural Moon for reminding me to not think of Abacab when I think of Genesis.

Last edited by Argon : 06-12-2003 at 09:19 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: