Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - #101 - National Health plus....

COTM - #101 - National Health plus....
What a week, my friends. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families and friends across our country.

I was having a very difficult time this week reflecting on current events, so coming up with a show was also increasingly difficult. I've been listening to a lot of 50's/60's jazz and I've been a little blue and incredibly busy. I could only wonder at the state of health in our nation, mentally, physically and emotionally.

{bing}

Well, feeling jazzy and having the nation's health on my mind led me to recall one of the last Canterbury groups formed: National Health. How appropriate I thought.

The band National Health was born from the Canterbury family, so to speak. In 1973 the groups Hatfield and the North and Gilgamesh performed together as one extended band (an octet). That laid the groundwork for joining of forces that would include
Dave Stewart (Hatfield), Alan Gowen (Gilgamesh), Phil Miller (Gilgamesh), Phil Lee (Hatfield), Mont Campbell (Egg) and Amanda Parsons (Hatfield). The group took the name National Health and in 1975 they began working and rehearsing. There were a number of membership changes over the next few years with names like Bill Bruford, Neil Murray, Steve Hillage, John Mitchell and Pip Pyle pass through.

The group would release three albums during their time together: National Health (1977), Of Queues and Cures (1978) and D.S. al Coda (1982). For our show this week I will be kicking off with their eponymous album from 1977.

Gilgamesh, keyboardist Alan Gowen's band, had bass player Hugh Hopper in their ranks for a while. You would know him from his tenure with Soft Machine. The two had also worked together in Soft Heap from 1978 - 1980. Well, in 1980, Hugh Hopper and Alan Gowen recorded an album together called Two Rainbows Daily. It would be one of the last projects Alan would release as it was about that year he was diagnosed with Leukemia. He passed in 1982. My 2nd feature for this week is this album Two Rainbows Daily.

I cap the show off with one song from a live album from the reunion version of National Health. The album is called Playtime and it was recorded in 1979 but was not released until 2001. I'll play the title track. Wish I had more time to play the whole album for you.

Cheers, my friends. I hope you can join us.

dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Re: COTM - #101 - National Health plus....

Thanks Dale.

National Heath makes me a happy marquer!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: COTM - #101 - National Health plus....

Then my job here is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquer View Post
Thanks Dale.

National Heath makes me a happy marquer!

Happiness is a worn pun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: