Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2001, 08:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to X-Ternal
Talking The Musical Box

Just want to ask, has anyone seen the Musical Box, the Genesis cover group? I'd like to know your opinion on how was the show and things of the kind

I saw them twice and each time walked out in awe. They are worthy successors to Genesis and near perfection in their homage. No wonder they're supported by the group. I never heard or saw Re-Genesis so I can't compare them.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:59 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Never had the opportunity. Maybe I should move to Quebec!!
Old 06-12-2001, 04:31 PM

Maybe you wont have to, they are in negociation to tour the US, well thats what I heard.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:00 PM

According to postings on alt.music.genesis, The Musical Box are indeed THE band to see. I understand they did The Lamb not so long ago. Mere geography has stopped me from seeing them so far.

We're quite blessed with Genesis tribute bands at the moment, with ReGenesis (who also did the full Lamb show at G2 recently), Invisible Touch and In The Cage (who I think are Italian) doing the rounds.

Now of course, if we could just persuade the originals to go back on the road I would be a very happy man!
Old 06-12-2001, 08:02 PM

Ask any Genesis fan and they'll tell you the same thing

We wish that Genesis would re-group, but it's very unlikely now. Collins is doing stuff for Disney, Gabriel is way out of it! doing wierd world music type stuff and concept albums, Banks and Rutherford are deep in their own projects and have kicked Wilson of the Ship(wrecked) lol.

If it were to come true, my perfect linup choice would be Banks/Rutherford (Obviously) then Hackett who is still the most influencial creative force of the group for me (and musician I admire) and finally, I'd let Wilson get another go at it (he did have good vocals)

And speaking of The Musical Box, The Lamb was magical. Being 21, I never saw any of this stuff, but my father did and when he spoke of it, he had that glow in is eyes. When I got out of that show, I must have had that same glow. There are those little seconds in the show, where the music gets to you and sqeaze your heart...god I'd give up something precious to be there again.

I wish my generation would get their head out of their asses and actually listen to music rather than trash or dance to a "beat" that camouflages itself as music.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:13 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
I dunno - I think Mike and Tony have put Genesis away for the purpose of one big comeback. I think the likelihood of a reunion might depend on the success of PG's Up.

Phil, though, is steaming ahead and his career seems to have no limits as far as money making ability is concerned. But Phil has expressed a vague interest in doing something fun like that.

The main draw, though, would be to see Phil and Peter on the same stage again. That would have to be in the marketing.
Old 06-13-2001, 04:59 PM

Of course this is all full of "buts & ifs", sadly.

The closest thing we'll ever get to a complete and once more powerfull Genesis are the cover groups who are doing a really good job in keeping the memory of the old alive.

Concerning The Musical Box, I am working on a small site where I will be offer screenshots and maybe small movies from a demo tape the band made in 94 or 95, I'm not sure really. They deserve the attention and I think the nice folks here on AM will enjoy it as much as I have : )
Old 06-16-2001, 07:55 AM

Ive had the good fortune to see Genesis perform Selling England by the Pound and also had the good fourtune to see the Musical Box perform the same concert and The Lamb...They make you feel like your watching the original..They were fantastic!!!!! They have a site you can checkout at
http://www.iquebec.com/musicalbox/

Well worth the effort to see them.
Old 06-17-2001, 11:44 AM

The Musical Box

On the subject of Genesis tribute bands.... I have not had the chance to see The Musical Box, but I have seen Re:genesis maybe four or five times. I first saw them four years or so ago when they were playing regularly on the pub circuit in West London (The Swan on the Fulham Broadway, the Orange in West Kensington and the Grey Horse in Kingston upon Thames). They were very good. Around that time they changed their name from Geneside to avoid being taken for a death metal band.

Since then, they have a new vocalist and flautist - Tony Patterson who has taken over from Glyn Protheroe. Personally, I preferred Glyn, but the flute does add to the sound of the group. I saw them play last year in Coventry. They had softened their previous line on being an "early" Genesis tribute band and allowed themselves to play a track off "Trick of the Tail".

You can read about the history of the band yourself on their website at:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~andyrh/index2.html

The website has a page of useful links to other Genesis sites including a Tribute band ring. On that you will find a list of 26 (yes, 26) other Genesis/Phil Collins tribute bands. See for yourself at:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/.../Tributes.html

Regenesis are playing again in October at the Astoria in London, full details on their website. If you get the chance to see them, do go, or else check out their two live CDs.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:34 AM

Being another "old-fart"....I got to see the early stuff...I've never heard any of the cover stuff (other than the "compilation/various artist" type stuff and the David Palmer orchestral tributes). The Hackett thing (Watcher/Genesis Revisited) is the best thing he's done since Voyage of the Acolyte. It's amazing how the ego works...and can work against you! Genesis started out doin in right, gradually went commercial, broke up, and now there's a renewed calling for the original material (and the like), but nobody wants to get together and do the thing.... just my 2 cents....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: