Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2001, 01:31 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Welcome! Post Your suggestions!

Welcome one and all to our new forums! In here, you can suggest what music you'd like to hear at Aural Moon.

We like to build our playlist not only based on what we think deserves broadcast, but what you would love to hear as well

We take all suggestions seriously, and have added many an album based on them. So fire away by creating a new thread for your suggestion.

Avian, Station Manager

P.S. Please re-post any suggestions you may have made on the old forums, so that we can keep up to date!

Old 05-31-2001, 12:11 PM

Repost of Suggestions

Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Division Bell

The rest of the Gentle Giant stuff up to Playing the Fool

Platypus - When Pus Comes to Shove

Led Zeppelin - some proggish stuff

Journey - (songs) "Winds of March," "Escape"

Kansas - (songs) "Carry On Wayward Son," "Dust in the Wind," "Magnum Opus"

Beatles - some proggish stuff
Old 06-01-2001, 10:25 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
"Carry On Wayward Son" and "Magnum Opus" are on the station already (they were recent adds with the rest of Leftoverture).

Old 06-07-2001, 02:55 PM

music suggestions

Still looking for some Gentle Giant.
Old 06-07-2001, 03:22 PM
Owner/Program Director

Thumbs up We aim to please

Yes - Union (most of it anyway) has been added to the station per someone's request.

We've also added two songs from Deus Ex Machina, another request.

And more requests will be forthcoming...
Old 06-07-2001, 03:40 PM
Owner Emeritus

Cool Re: music suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by Dooderopolis
Still looking for some Gentle Giant.
Ye gods, man, there's a bit of Gentle Giant on here (although we will add more to be sure). Look under G under Requests for all the GG you can request.

:-)
Old 06-09-2001, 03:59 PM

Wink Radiohead and some other stuff

Why only one Radiohead song (Paranoid Android)? If you're going to add them, at least put the whole Ok Computer album up.

I also think some songs off "Quadrophenia" by the Who could certainly be regarded as progressive, espicially the song of the same name.

What is with Particle Man?? How did that song get in any range of appearing here? Don't get me wrong- I love They Might Be Giants. But that is just plain weird.

I eagerly await your replies!
Old 06-09-2001, 04:19 PM
Owner Emeritus

Sometimes I'll just add tracks to be wierd, and to have some fun. Plus, I thought Particle Man was kinda progressive - the lyrics anyway.

"Particle Man, particle man,
Does everything a particle can..."

Hey, that could be right out of a Van Der Graf Generator song!

Avian
Old 06-11-2001, 01:36 PM

It's been a while since I've visited the playlists..."A Curious Feeling" and "Smallcreep's Day" adds...nice job!! How about a little Rare Bird? "Beautiful Scarlet" from the first album and/or the "Mind Flies By" 'side' (whoops, showin my age!)
Old 06-12-2001, 03:51 PM

Some stuff

Mike Oldfield - Incantations

Moody Blues - my favorite Moody song - "Isn't Life Strange"

Yes - It's amazing to me how people will differ on little things. I'm glad UNION was added, but two of the four best songs were left out. Please add "Holding On" and "Shock to the System." These, along with "Silent Talking" and "The More We Live - Let Go" are easily the best on UNION. Being a completist, I'd like the rest of Union to go up as well, "Dangerous" and "Without Hope You Cannot Start the Day." The latter I really like as well. Oh, and "Give and Take" while you're at it.

Iona - If Enya is progressive, the Iona is the greatest prog band of all time. If you like good Irish prog rock with Sax's, flutes, pipes, Chapman Stick, and 10+ minute songs, Go with some Iona.

Old 06-13-2001, 05:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ThomasJedenfelt
Okay, so I'd like very much to here something (preferably everything ;-) from 'Nightingales and Bombers' by Manfred Mann's Earth Band (1975).

Also, PFM's 'Chocolate Kings' album is outstanding (1975).

And, I join Yesspaz in suggesting the songs from 'Union' by YES.

Speaking of YES, I got to tell you that they will be visiting Sweden in November! It will be my first YES consert!! I just can't wait!!!

Thomas

PS
If you're hearing 'Future Times' right this minute, thank me ;-)
Old 06-13-2001, 06:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ThomasJedenfelt
Okay, I just found out that 'Chocolate Kings' is listed. Great! I forgot that PFM is an acronym for Premiata Forneria Marconi.

Soon we all will be listening to 'From Under' :-D

Thomas

PS
If you want help checking names, like the above, I can help.
Let me know.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:58 AM

Music Suggestions

Might I suggest:
(These are on my current Desert Island list)

Pat Methany - Secret Story (any track)
Peter Gabriel - Passion
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Vertu - Vertu
Transatlantic - Transatlantic

Thanks from Texan in Jersey!
Old 06-14-2001, 09:07 AM
Owner Emeritus

In a Glass House - got some of that...

Passion - have one song from that (A Different Drum)

Transatlantic - we have SMPtE - is there another one from these guys yet that we're missing?
Old 06-14-2001, 10:23 AM

Texan in Jersey

I just discovered your awesome catalog of disc's. I see the Gentle Giant and the Passion song. If you like Al DiMeola and Jean Luc Ponty you'll like VERTU (features Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and others). The Pat Methany Disc is a natural for symphonic prog lovers with a Jazzy world beat thing going on!
BTW, I'm not getting any work done, I'm too busy listening to the GREAT Music!

Keep up the great work.

John
Old 06-14-2001, 10:41 AM

Old Suggestions/New Suggestions

I would love to see Wakeman's No Earthly Connection, White Rock, and Criminal Record played on this station and the rest of King Arthur while your at it.

Also , I have recently had a hieghtend interest in the Flower Kings and would like to see their entire catalog here as well.

Glass Hammer has been brought up recently. GH Rules!

Look into Glass Harp's first album - its great.

Thanks,

_jazs
Old 06-16-2001, 09:02 AM

Thumbs up Music suggestions

Lets have more early Genesis (pre Trick of the Tail), Yes , Jethro Tull, Peter Hammill (I would say that, wouldn't I), Van Der Graaf and Van Der Graaf Generator. Also how about some of the original Lone Star ( eg Bells of Berlin from "firing on all six") and Refugee (from their eponymously titled 1974 album).

You might also try some current Radiohead, either from Kid A, or the new CD - Amnesiac.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:38 PM
Owner/Program Director

gentle giant, and other requests

I've ripped Gentle Giant's Interview, Octopus, Three Friends, and Power and Glory, so they should make it to the station soon.

More Moody Blues (inlcuding "Isn't Life Strange) will be added in the next few weeks.

Iona and Vertu sound interesting, but are new to me - I'll try to check 'em out.

Sorry about the exclusions from Yes - Union - that was my decision to leave those songs out since I don't care for them. Sounds like there's enough support for them, so I'll add them when I get caught up.

I'll probably add some Pat Metheny, but I don't own Secret Story...

Someone requested early Genesis - I'll be adding the Lamb (studio version), other than that I don't think we're missing anything...
Old 06-18-2001, 06:14 PM
Owner Emeritus

Aside From Genesis to Revelation, although I wouldn't consdier it a must-have selection...

Avian
Old 06-20-2001, 08:51 PM

Just a note

Just got back from OneFest in Memphis (one of those gargantuan Christian music festivals). Incredible. The spiritual aspect I'll comment on elsewhere, for this is not the forum, but the music...

I saw Iona for the first time (don't let the fact that their a Christian bands scare you off). Sweet! They began with a 6 minute instrumental with intricate guitar work, Irish bagpipes, flute, keyboards, drums, and bass. After which, the lead vocalist, a woman, says in her Irish accent and best Southern drawl, "Hi, Ya'll," much to the delight of the crowd. Southerners usually hate it when non-Southerners say stupid things like that when they play the South, but because they came across the ocean for this, it was great!

The bass player frequently used some sort of metallic object to strike the strings. Weird. It was like a metallic funk finger. After three songs of "normal" length, the lead singer said, and I paraphrase, "This is our last big show for quite a while so I hope you're enjoying it. We're heading back to Ireland tomorrow, because I'm gonna be havin' a baby (pronounced beh-bay in that Irish accent)." Cheers. "Well, some of you who are familiar with out music know that some of our songs can tend to be a little drawn out. This next one is a 13 minute epic piece." Very nice. They followed that with a keyboard/flute instrumental. Then I had to run across Shelby Farms to make the start of the Stavesacre set at Hilltop Two, so I didn't see the erst of the set, but what I saw was incredible - the only out and out prog rock band at OneFest.

For those who care about such things, Stavesacre was one of the two highlights of the Fest for me (they've been compared to Tool on more than one occasion, altough they are not as dark as Tool). I was right in front of the stage acting like a fool for 75 minutes, singing every word. Intense. The Choir was my other highlight, as they unleashed their ethereal alt/prog (bless 'em). I also throughly enjoyed Jacobstone (Radiohead, U2), Cush, 238, Project 86, P.O.D., Ransom Tree, lots of hardcore, participated in a Drum Circle with my drummer friend Tony Abercrombie of Ransom Tree, and saw what has to be the weirdest band ever - Psalters. Percussion galore, loops, cello, violin, percussive rhythm oriented acoustic guitar, and a dj. Not the scratch kind - the loops and weird effects Chemical Bros. kind. Whack, but fun. Oh, and hanging out with five of my best friends for four days with those wonderful all access passes to get into trailers to get free water and all that. Man, being on the cerw of a band at a music fest rocks. I'll shut up now. Yesspaz out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: