Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2004, 08:08 AM

I may be ruffling feathers..

but someone has to.

I popped into the Moon this morning (to quote Ian Anderson "as I all too seldom do") and I see that "Ikea By Night" by Flower Kings recently played.

Do we HAVE to do this?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
If I'm not mistaken, one of our regular members that we all know and love requests that song about once a day. Am I correct in this?

I'd also like to see the FK situation rectified.

Avian
Old 09-14-2004, 09:02 AM

Yes I know

Not a personal attack, he knows that.

But I find the "Marbles" record somnambulent, but I'm not going to request a short Marillion tune.

Just seems to me there's an easier way. Isn't there?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:27 AM

This must be put to a stop! I move that someone start requesting Driver's Seat every few hours so we don't have to sit through that tepid 4 second song ever again! These Ikea by Night fans are out of control!
Old 09-14-2004, 10:47 AM

if i had a vote....

there's a top 10 post nominee!
Old 09-14-2004, 03:18 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
I'm working on a few different scenarios that will hopefully help rectify this distressing situation. One of the possibilities includes swapping Ikea by Night and Driver's Seat or I Am The Sun (part I or II, which ever gets overrequested so much). That way whoever's overrequesting both gets the other.

Yes, I can be a right bastard sometimes.

On a more serious note, I'm getting very close to pulling the entire FK collection. I don't WANT to do this, and I won't be doing it on a permanent basis, but that seems to be the only alternative to the daily Ikea By Night and Driver's Seat showing that we've all been subjected to for the past couple of months. Maybe a month long yank or something like that.

Or maybe just the ones that have been requested repeatedly over the last week or so.

Or maybe songs that are < 2:00 and > 10:00 (or whatever arbitrary limits I decide to set (varying on a number of factors (including bribes (ahem)))).

Gah. I look like a lisp programmer.

Anyway. The short of it is that I'm working on a viable alternative. And rest assured, there's nothing going to be done that doesn't get bounced off of Jim.

Roger
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:01 AM

And what about the Appleseed Cast over requesting? It's bringing me down every day...
Old 09-15-2004, 04:25 PM

Truly. It makes me sad, because the whole album is that good, and some ninny-hammer out there is going to wind up getting one of my favs booted off the Moon. I wish that punk would quit. R.L, find him and block his IP!
Old 09-15-2004, 05:39 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
Truly. It makes me sad, because the whole album is that good, and some ninny-hammer out there is going to wind up getting one of my favs booted off the Moon. I wish that punk would quit. R.L, find him and block his IP!
1) Are you assuming someone is doing this on purpose?
2) If not, why would you assume this will make the Cast be booted from the Moon?
3) Is this person a "ninny-hammer" or a "punk"?
4) Block his IP? really?

We are going too far. Sanity, please!

(I still think Bob L.'s Ikea post is a riot)
Old 09-15-2004, 06:57 PM

Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
1) Are you assuming someone is doing this on purpose?
2) If not, why would you assume this will make the Cast be booted from the Moon?
3) Is this person a "ninny-hammer" or a "punk"?
4) Block his IP? really?

We are going too far. Sanity, please!

(I still think Bob L.'s Ikea post is a riot)
1. Do I think they are requesting the same song over and over on purpose? Yes, of course. They are not accidentally doing it. Do I think they have ulterior motives? No.
2. Do I think that this will make the Cast get booted? No. Do I think it'll get "Blind Man's Arrow" booted? Yes. It happened to "Rome," did it not?
3. Do I think this person is a "ninny-hammer" and "punk"? If he thinks we are so in love with his favorite song that we want to hear it daily like he does, then yes he's a ninny-hammer. I love Don Caballero, and request them frequently. But I don't think for a second anyone wants to hear "Repeat Defender" every day for a month.
4. Block his IP? Of course not. I used hyperbole to express my aggravation. It is a common rhetorical device. An well-worn is "I could just kill so-and-so." You won't really kill them will you? But you make your point. However, if it turns out to be the same guy who did "Rome" and thus points to a pattern of wearing a song out, yeah. Axe one guy for the good of the whole station? As Mr. Spock logically stated, followed by Kirk: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." "Or the one."
Old 09-15-2004, 08:02 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Flower Kings Issue Rectification Notice

HEAR YE HEAR YE!

I have spoken with ProgDirJim (well, not spoken, actually, but more like exchanging PMs and the like) and he liked the idea of a temporary ban on certain Flower King songs.

Effective last night sometime, all FK songs that are less than 2:00 and longer than 10:00 have been removed from the rotation. They're still on the station, so it won't be a problem to put them back once Jim gets home and we have a chance to discuss this thorny issue.

So the long and short of it is that the long and short of it has been trimmed, and everyone should be happy in the Mundo Maravilloso de la Oz.

Roger -Dot- Lee, "Ninny-Hammer"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:12 PM

Sounds like a 'nice' FK-U doesn't it!?

You will have to pardon my ignorance on the subject of FK because this is my first time here. (Hello Roger!) I've looked through these messages and haven't picked up on the angst with FK (thus the heading for this message!). Do the FK guys need to be force-fed "Magic Brownies" perhaps? Per Jensen
Old 09-15-2004, 11:30 PM

Hello perjenson, and welcome to the Moon. You walked right into the line of fire on this one. No one at AM has a problem with TFK. It just that a knucklehead out there, who's probably not a forum reader, constantly requests the long Flower Kings songs daily. For a long time, every day we'd hear "I am the Sun" and two hours later "Devil's Playground," two hours later, "Driver's Seat," two hours later, "Big Puzzle," then "Love Supreme," then "Stardust We Are,".... This was EVERY DAY. To fight back, some members have begun requesting the short ones all the time. See, there's a built-in buffer time so that an individual artist can't play all day. The limit was two hours, which means if a TFK song started at 8, 10, 12, 2, 4, etc. and was on average 20minutes long, well, it's pretty much a TFK marathon. by reqesting short ones, this moved the long ones out.

There's also been request abuse with Transatlantic, but nowhere near as bad as with TFK. Again, there's been abuse of certain songs. "Rome" by Blue Shift has been pulled from the station because some superfan was requesting it twice a day everyday. Currently, Marillion's "Grendel" and The Appleseed Cast's "Blind Man's Arrow" are starting to get that way. The regular chatters and forum-folk ask them to stop, but it's likely the offender(s) aren't forum readers.

Hope that catches you up, and welcome to the Moon! Feel free to request away, just not the above mentioned songs!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:59 PM

Meet my friend Vito!...

Good to hear from you so soon, and thanks for welcoming me. Simply a great, great site here, just knocked out by it. Heck, I like it enough that this is the only chat site I've ever joined!... Anyway, I've spent a lot of time in or near radio stations all my life, and I've seen a lot of really weird things, like people throwing empty beer cans or trash at the station's front door if the DJ wasn't anwering the request line, but hey, "He who spins the discs is he who spins the discs he wants to spin!"
Old 09-16-2004, 04:18 AM
Owner/Program Director

Oklahoma City

must be a hotbed of prog! We've got Teermin8r, we used to have BigTwin, and now perjensen, all from OK City. What's the secret, something in the water?

Welcome PJ, hope you enjoy it here. We like the Flower Kings, but we have over 12,000 pieces of music in our library, so hearing the same 3 or 4 Flower Kings songs EVERY day was really wearing on those of us who run the station, as well as the regular listeners.

We're really trying to preach variety and experimentation here...
Old 09-16-2004, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by perjensen01
this is my first time here.
And hopefully not your last. Hello!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:56 AM

Is there Prog Rock in Tupelo???

...and to think that a legend came from such a place... In Oklahoma it seems that Tulsa is the most 'happening' place, but with with Internet the music world has shrunk dramatically. Home for me is actually Minneapolis, but OK City is a startling surprise of many things, and I know of some guys in Paducah, KY (can you imagine that!?) who are fantastic. The love of music is everywhere! You just KNOW there are people in Barrows AK crankin' a King Crimson CD right about now. Yes? No?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:58 AM

The Rick and Roll man!

Oops! Sorry for not saying a big hello to you sir!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Hey - another one chimes in from the OKC. If you think OKC is a strange place for Prog, just drive up Rt. 35 to my town, Mayfield, Kansas, population 100! Aural Moon had been "headquartered" there for two years - most people in Mayfield don't even have internet access, or have even heard of the internet!

Avian
Old 09-16-2004, 09:30 AM

Ferlin Husky...

... a la Alan Jackson could be their ideal theory of Prog Rock possibly!? Oh man! Sorry, but I'm sitting here laughing my keister off at such a little city! I mention Ferlin Husky because we were playing a little VFW club years ago in Tennessee, a little place called "The Apple", not in a town, just a little stand alone place somewhere between 'villages', that when we started the evening with "I Saw Her Standing There" we got complaints! It was a l-o-n-g night...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: