Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Patron

PFM and iTunes

For as long as I remember iTunes operating, I've wondered about whether or not bands that I liked would ever be sold through this channel. After all, ripping a CD and offering for download can't be that complicated and much easier to deal with than physical media and distribution/delivery considerations. Up until this time, PFM was not to be found.

When Apple opened iTunes stores in other countries, I thought this might be a way to get more music, but it turns out that you can't download music from an iTunes Italy unless you can prove residence in said country. Computer files it seems are subject to all the existing limitations that the RIAA imposes on physical media.

Wouldn't you know it that coincident with Apple's threat to shutdown iTunes, somehow PFM is finally available to the American public. L'Isola di Niente is one such release and is a $4.99 download. Interestingly they gave this one and not the english version The World Became The World, although this may be a temporary situation since it appears that more of their work is available.

Of course some of the purists will argue that a 128-bit AAC encoding is not worth the price, and I tend to agree, but the fact that you can actually get PFM this way is pretty neat.

On PFM's Cook live album, Mauro Pagani introduces Dove e Quando "from our really first Italian album, never been released in the states...". It appears that this sad fact may finally come to an end.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r
Re: PFM and iTunes

Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-06-2008, 08:51 AM

Interesting.

I Tunes Canada has a boat load of PFM. The trick, though, is to search for Premiata Forneria Marconi, not PFM. If you search PFM you get a handful of recent live albums. Under the actual name you get a lot of their albums, farily affordable, such as Photos of Ghosts ($6.93); L'isola di Niente ($4.99) Live in USA, Storia di Un Minuto; Jet Lag and lots more.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Oh, no. Say it isn't so!!!

I am in sooo much trouble now that I can get easy downloads of all that great stuff.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
Oh, no. Say it isn't so!!!

I am in sooo much trouble now that I can get easy downloads of all that great stuff.
Since my original post, I've also seen that Amazon also has PFM tracks for sale via their MP3 download site. I may be one of the few people on the planet that hasn't bought something through them but that's about to change.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: