Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 AM

Cool Rob Leighton Charity Concert

The latest Classic Rock Society concert was a charity night for NACC (National Association for Colitis and Chron’s Disease) following the sad death of Radio Caroline DJ Rob Leighton. Rob was a huge supporter of progressive rock and he will be sorely missed, RIP.
Two of Rob’s favourite bands were chosen for the gig, namely Guy Manning and Strangefish (who have come out of retirement for a one-off gig). The other act to volunteer their services were the new boys on the block Black Bonzo. Since Rob had been a firm advocate for new progressive rock acts, it was felt appropriate to include them.
The venue was Herringthorpe Leisure Centre, Rotherham, Yorkshire, UK. The Classic Rock Society may be a small organisation, but they do produce some superb concerts and a classy magazine. I do feel that Aural Moon needs to have a link somewhere with this group of people other than me! The potential is great given the audience make-up – mind you do you think the shout box could cope with ehhh up, discussion of mi whippets and nowt as queer as folks!!!! I should not knock my heritage really! This organisation has been keeping Progressive Rock alive in the UK during many difficult years and supporting many individual groups.
I decided to take the missus and kids to this concert, since it was a charity event, plus we have just lost our father and needed a family night out. Thankfully the venue is being condemned and we have been invited to the last gig where the groups and audience can trash the venue due to being knocked down the following day – sounds like a quiet night in mid Yorkshire!
I have included some of my photos on the flickr website address:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2675954...7605802526680/
I hope that you enjoy them.
Well on came Black Bonzo, and boy were they better than the positive reputation I had heard from here on the Moon. They had great stage presence and musicianship. The drumming was faultless as were all the individual group members. I am always full of respect for groups who play for charity and these boys slotted onto this bill perfectly. It at least enabled us to let out some of our grief and anger into some superb songs. They were reminiscent of so many groups and styles that I would say they are individual and have developed a unique style of their own. I do wish them well and send a big thanks for making the night of my 15 year old daughter who was flattered after receiving a concert t-shirt from the group for starting a new fan base for the group! I was very pleased with shaking their hands and my signed CD! They have certainly made many new fans that night and have been invited back next year.
I totally agreed with Guy Manning who came on next and stated “I feel sorry for the poor sods who have to try and follow that performance and then I realised that it was me!” A huge respect for Black Bonzo was born and they will be adopted by the CRS and I would not be surprised to see an award heading their way in the next year. My daughter is certainly a huge Black Bonzo fan now!
I have been a fan of Guy Manning for many years, and love his previous group and solo work. I suppose it is the fact that he is a Yorkshire man that this audience interacts and associates with him and his music. I always loved his quote on his website of his first performance, which makes me laugh every time I see him! “At primary school I formed my first band, Freddie & the frogs, who sport flippers and goggles whilst singing ‘we all live in a yellow frogmobile’ in the playground!” I would love him to try that now onstage!!
My wife really appreciates his music and again the quality of his live performance was just stunning. I am really looking forward to seeing him play in The Tangent at the SEFest later this year. My kids were lost with his music but my daughter was more interested in flirting with Black Bonzo!! Guy is such a versatile musician and has a classic haunting progressive/folk sound with even a hint of Chris De Burgh (according to my other half!) from his early days when he could rock and sing haunting melodies. If you have not seen Manning live, then I would certainly recommend looking him out.
Last but certainly not least came the Classic Rock Society Favourites (and Rob’s) Strangefish. I had not seen these guys before and sorely regret that omission to my concert going career! They were an excellent group and I cannot understand why this lot did not go far. They seemed to have so much fun onstage which really impressed that they liked playing gigs. They were essentially a live act with an album under their belt. But their live show was so much fun with a very tight professional bent. The inflatable’s were also great fun and really generated a party atmosphere. They even managed to drag my daughter from the fun of flirting with Black Bonzo! Bassist Julian produced some superb violin melodies and created a great Irish Jig at one point. The crowd went mad and started jigging around the sport centre, many donning the ceremonial knotted handkerchief (a Yorkshire-man at the sea side thing!!). I thoroughly enjoyed their set and hope that it is not the last we hear of them – they seriously rock. My son (10 Years Old) thinks they are the best! And I will certainly put their live act as one of the most fun I have experienced.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 AM

Re: Rob Leighton Charity Concert

Eloy this is GREAT! The pictures capture the spirit of the night...just please don't tell me if you got in anyone's way

Strangefish is the band that brought me over to England for my first and only trip. They actually have two fine records...finally getting to meet Steve (looks like he got a haircut) and guitar Bob was a pleasure. Julian on bass was absent when I saw them...what a great bunch of guys.

You are right on the mark with Black Bonzo. Another wonderful group of guys, and they deserve everything they get. They rock the house.

I saw Guy Manning also with Strangefish. he had the flutist from Molly Bloom, not sure I saw him in the pics. I seem to remember a lot of people on stage that played not so much...but I see his guitarist and bassist. Did he sweat a lot? Another engaging person...so that's the yorkshire way, eh? Chris De Burgh lol!

What a nice thing to do with the benefit show...you made my week Eloy thanks

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 06-25-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 AM

Hi Rick,
thanks for the comments. I am so pleased that you share some of the same thoughts.
The Haircut of Steve's was the focus of some hilarity for many there that night!
Yes, Guy Manning did sweat a great deal during and after the performance, much to the hottor of my wife who was sat next to him whilst waiting for Strangefish. Still, he is a great guy! I was dissappointed that there was a lack of flute playing since my son plays the flute and I wanted to encourage him further since many of the boys at his school think it is a very girly thing to do! Children can be so cruel at times, but he perseveres. Must get him to the next Tull concert!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 AM
KeithieW

Great review Steve. I wish I could have made it up there but I was rostered to work. Hey Ho!!!!

As Rick said, Guy Manning might sweat a bit but, man, can he write great songs or can't he? When we saw him at SEfest 2006 he had his flautist Steve Dundon with him who I'd seen previously playing with Mick Abrahams and Clive Bunker in a band celebrating the release of Tull's "This Was" album. He pulled off those Ian Anderson vocals and flute solos with great aplomb.

Strangefish were excellent and you should be, and obviously are, pleased to have seen them.

Black Bonzo are terrific and really nice guys too. My last memory of their guitarist is seeing him at Newark airport looking a little fragile having polished off a bottle of Tequila the night before in VAX's hotel room after ROSfest.

Really glad you had a great night out with your family. Hopefully eased some of the pain after losing your dad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: