Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: You are a prog fan. Are you also a musician?
Yes, I am a musician. I play one or more instruments 17 85.00%
No, I am not a musician. I do not play any instruments 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2004, 11:41 AM

Are prog fans Musicians?

Thor, KeithieW, Avian, and I were in the white room chatting during a particularly difficult Don Caballero piece where the band was being purposefully dischordant, and we ventured to guess that prog has a higher percentage of musicians as devotees than other forms of rock music. So here's a little poll.

Please also tell what instrument you play if you selected "Yes."
Old 07-08-2004, 11:44 AM

Yes, I am a musician. I play bass and guitar. Primarily bass. I'm pretty decent. As a guitar player, I'm really just a basic rhythm player-not very good.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to Thor
No I'm not a musician... but I am an artist with a good ear and a penchant for music always open to music of all forms from folk to classical and opera to punk and newwave to rock and prog...

Have to say though that "most" pop and rap music is a waste of air space

IMHO

If I did take up an instrument I would say it would be the flute

om namah shivaya
om gan ganapataye namah
om aim saraswataye namah
om shrim mahalaxmaye
Old 07-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Patron

I regret that I am not a musician.

I never got enough training as a kid as we moved around a lot and as soon as I had bulit up enough playing the piano we moved to where there was no piano. So I never got into playing in a band. (COuld never afford it anyway) I've never had a guitar in my life. Plus the problem I'm lefthanded.

I got the ears but not the hands. And I regret it like s**t.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:34 PM
KeithieW

Musicians...........

I still say that you don't have to be a musician to get the most out of music.

In the end it's all about what you feel, not what you know.

I can't paint to save my life but some pictures and other works of art move me greatly. Appreciation of all things comes from within.

By the way Spaz, I hope you class Singing as playing an instrument because otherwise I voted in the wrong category for you but not for me.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses
musicians

I postulated the same thing at one point at a ProjeKct Two concert, looking at the very diverse crowd with a wide range of ages, hairstyles, etc. It's not like a Phish concert where you get hippies and college kids who want to be hippies but drive their parents' Audis to shows.

(All this is greatly generalized, of course.)

I do like to call myself a musician. Like Yesspaz, I play guitar and bass. Primarily guitar, but I can fake it on bass half decently. If pressed, I can play a little bit of piano/keyboards, but only enough to get myself in trouble with someone who actually knows what they're talking about on the instrument. Given a week or two of preparation time, I could probably pull out the old trumpet and play you a nice tune on that, but as it stands I've got languishing lips.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:32 PM

Re: Are prog fans Musicians?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
during a particularly difficult Don Caballero piece where the band was being purposefully dischordant
don't you mean difficult on the ear????

There are bands that I think are fun when discordant (such as Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or Primus) but for the most part it's annoying as hell.

The percentages of "musicians to non-musicians" would by definition be the same under any genre. The only exception is pop music, which would have more non-musicians by virtue of being more popular among the mainstream.

I take exception greatly to the premise that the more difficult the music is, the more you have to be a musician. I have not seen that in my many concert and other listening experiences.

Also, if you're at the opera, no one's going to walk up to you and say, "I sing opera and it was a decent show", but you will get at a prog show "man I play and that keyboard riff on the Triumphant Battle of the Spider Bitches excerpt part Seven was weak"! It just seems these prog-nerds are more prevalent.

Finally, I am a rock and roll fan before prog. I don't like prog because it's more difficult, only because it sounds good.

Musician? I played brass instruments in high school and can play a mean Black Sabbath on the piano, but I can't play anything else. What I do have is strong ear for musical content and a lot of memory space alloted for such things.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:39 PM

If we call musician a person who plays for fun only in the secluded spot of his own room then yes, I am a musician. Keyboards player and composer.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:50 PM

Re: Re: Are prog fans Musicians?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I take exception greatly to the premise that the more difficult the music is, the more you have to be a musician.
I take exception to that premise too. It is not the premise of my question. The premise is, "I bet that someone who is a musician or has studied music is more likely to listen to prog than someone who has never studied music or is not a musician."

Also, we've had two people who said "not musician" and no votes for "not musician." Don't forget to vote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Eating Lemur Send a message via AIM to Eating Lemur Send a message via Yahoo to Eating Lemur
I've been playing the electric guitar for almost four years, and I also fool around on the keyboard sometimes.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Kuiper belt object

F
E
D
C
B
A
G
F
E

I have not played a musical instrument since high shool. When I did I played Trumpet, Baritone, Sax (Tenor & Alto).

[quote]Originally posted by RogorMortis

I've never had a guitar in my life. Plus the problem I'm lefthanded.

That never stoped Jimi

Still dont have this Quote thing figured out yet
Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free
Old 07-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Patron

not a musician, but the daughter of one

my only instrument would be the vocal chords which i exercise constantly...i've been told i have perfect pitch, sang all through hs...but i'm sure that's gone now...

my dad, as some of you know, played jazz trumpet with some of the best wayyy back in the day, both traditional and later years latin, he also played piano and drums. alas, he taught his girls naught , but first cousin Corky McClerkin can be found in the AMG and gives my dad full credit in his bio.

and if i were to play an instrument it would be the violin.

Quote:
as stated by one Moses
I could probably pull out the old trumpet and play you a nice tune on that, but as it stands I've got languishing lips.
don't know why but that statement had me on the floor with laughter.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:00 PM

I like to consider myself a musician. I play guitar, trombone, and a little bit of keyboard. I've pretty much retired from playing trombone, though, because my trombone is ready to die, and after graduating from college I don't have a band to play in.

I also have this cool Snoopy jaw harp, but I don't like playing it, because it hurts my teeth.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Eating Lemur Send a message via AIM to Eating Lemur Send a message via Yahoo to Eating Lemur
Yes, they do make left-handed models for many of the most popular guitars. As Jimi did, he would simply put the strings on the guitar in the opposite order and flip it around, though where to put the strap might become an issue if you want to play that way. In addition, many accoustic guitars are perfectly symetrical, so it wouldn't matter anyway.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:36 AM

The only thing about playing a right handed guitar flipped as a lefty is the pick guard is in the wrong place, especially important on acoustics if you want them to stay in great condition. Also, lefty guitars can sometimes be more expensive than right handed ones. I don't really think that's fair, but I guess it's because they are harder to make, being that a lot of guitars are hand-made.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:40 AM

I guess people like the craftmanship, but my uncle, who is a dedicated Carvin fan (he turned me into one as well), seemed to think that their necks and bodies were really something. "You know how they do it?" he asked, "They use machines!"

Either way, you are probably right about them being more expensive, but, for me, the pick guard has never really been that big of an issue. I guess it really depends on your technique, but my current electric (a BC Rich Warlock) has no pickguard whatsoever, and there seems to be no wear (I guess I just don't hit the body when I strum).
Old 07-09-2004, 01:57 AM
KeithieW

Have you ever noticed.........

how many Bass players are left handed???????

As for playing musical instruments. I can't play a note really but I do own a Fender Strat and a Marshall amp which, as regular shouters/chatters will know, I occaisionally plug in and massacre songs that are playing on the Moon. I'm left handed but "play" the guitar right handed. I can play golf left or right handed (my best score on a public course is 130 over par....maybe I CAN'T play golf left OR right handed).

How can you tell if a keyboard player is playing left handed..........just a thought!

Last edited by KeithieW : 07-09-2004 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:12 AM

Re: Have you ever noticed.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Waye
How can you tell if a keyboard player is playing left handed..........just a thought!
Heh, nice.

I had a friend growing up who was ambidextrous in the true sense of the word. He threw a baseball right handed, but batted left. Shot basketball right handed, but wrote left. Show a bow right handed and a shotgun left. Ate with his right and bowled with his left. Weird.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:35 AM

Say, what sorts of equipment does everyone use? Keith's mentioning of his strat and Marshall amp made me curious to see what kind of instruments/equipment all the musicians own. Here is my list:

Guitars:

Squier (by Fender) Bullet [black] -- my first guitar (it was cheap)
BC Rich Warlock, Bronze Series (single-humbucker) [black] -- my secound and current guitar (it was discounted)
Johnson accoustic [blue] -- pawned off a friend for $30 (don't play it much)

Keyboard:

Casio CTK-150 -- dinky, bottom-of-the-line keyboard inherited from my deceased grandmother

Amps:

Optimus MPS-45 -- my first amp (puny bugger, not grounded properly)
Carvin SX-300 -- my second and current amp (very sweet), a graduation gift from my uncle

Pedals:

BOSS TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Digitech XMM Metal Master -- heavy distortion
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
Digitech XDD Digidelay -- various delay/echo functions

I also have a Crybaby wah pedal that is currently out of service (needs some soldering). It doesn't interact well with the Metal Master, though.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:42 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally posted by Eating Lemur
Say, what sorts of equipment does everyone use? Keith's mentioning of his strat and Marshall amp made me curious to see what kind of instruments/equipment all the musicians own.
Gordon Bennett!!!!!!

When JamForte returns from holiday and decides to answer this question we may not see him in the chat room for a month or more.

Jam has (and plays) SO many different instruments he should open a museum!!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: