Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Canvas Prog Hour
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2002, 10:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to canvas
Playlist for show #69

"In Focus"-----------Camel/Peter Bardens Tribute

Acid In Your Face-Barry Richman/1995
Igloo-Mats & Morgan/1999 (live)
The First Man On Earth-Ayreon featuring Neal Morse/2000
Song Within A Song-Camel/1976*
Spirit Of The Water-Camel/1976*
The Maryanne-Dreams/1970
Tales Of The Unexpected-Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush/1979
Aggressive Tranquility-Brandon Fields/1986
The Sleeper-Camel/1978*
Some Other Time-Alan Parsons Project/1977
Fly....Night Bird-Roy Buchanan/1978
Los Endos-Patrick Moraz & Ronnie Ciago/1998
Ghost-Phish/1998
Liberal Son-Canvas/2001
The Snow Goose-Camel/1975*
Make Us All Aware-Ambrosia/1975
Pimp-The Tubes/1976
Above And Below-The Brecker Brothers/1990
Metrognome-Camel/1977*
Perfect Prison-Phreeworld/1998
Proud To Be An American-The Tubes/1976
Old 03-21-2002, 10:57 PM

I remember buying Flight of the Snowgoose many years ago without having ever heard a tune from Camel. Played it to death back then. Thanks for reminding me how much I enjoyed it.
Great addition of Ambrosia to the set from the same year. Great album as well. Sorry to hear of Peter Barden's seemingly untimely passing.

Since you played Patrick Moraz, does anyone remenber some years back when he was doing "home" concerts around the country. You could book him for around 1K, provided you offered a quality piano and reasonably nice room. Almost got one of these booked, but we couldn't do the dates available in my area. Always regret this. How cool it must have been to have Patrick Moraz play your livingroom!
Great show Canvas

dB
Old 03-22-2002, 12:31 PM

and I thought I was the only one...

Phish!

I've always thought of Phish as one of the best modern prog bands, but if you mention Phish to a progfan you get derided. I think most progfans really have no clue what Phish sounds like. They think Phish and they think Grateful Dead - not prog- Phish not prog. WRONG! Phish might be hugely successful and a jam band and reason for some people to trot around the country, but Phish is very progressive. I've thought of requesting some Phish on AM, but figured there's no way, so why waste my time and get people mad. But if people just took a chance and LISTENED to some of their material.. Oh My Gosh!

Quote from GEPR: "Phish can, at times, be as intricate as Gentle Giant ever was (no kidding!)."

The whole shebang:
http://www.gepr.net/phfram.html
Old 03-22-2002, 06:15 PM

Hey DB!!

Thanks for the note. Thats a great story about Moraz. That would be amazing to have him play at a small gathering like that!
I'm currently on the hunt for more Patrick Moraz CD's, so stay tuned to The Canvas Prog Hour and you won't be disappointed.

Matt
Old 03-22-2002, 06:22 PM

Hey Yesspaz!

Thanks for that reply! I think Phish is hugely underrated by lots of proggers too! I saw them live in Columbus, Ohio about 3-4 years ago, and they not only sounded incredible, but they all have incredible chops!I was blown away. The crowd at a Phish concert is something to behold. I felt like I was at Woodstock or something. Its an experience. Keep listening, as I have a large roster of Phish tunes that make the cut.

Matt
Old 03-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
There were a couple of years there where I was really into Phish. I saw two of their famous New Years Eve Shows (one in Boston, the other at MSG), got boots, CDs, and saw them a few other times, too. Their live shows were really something to behold.

I never considered them a prog band, really. They're excellent musicians, they play a jazzy kind of rock, but I really don't think of them as progressive rock. I don't really know why - a lot of it is kinda straight-ahead.

I don't have any Phish added to the station, but I just added Oysterhead, which is the new band with Trey, Les Claypool, and Stewart Copeland. Great stuff, if you've caught it.

A few tracks from Phish to the station might not be a bad idea.

Avian

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: