PDA

View Full Version : Corporate America fucked music over...

Anti-World
08-05-2001, 11:58 PM
It's true. Corporate America fucked music over. I see it in all the new bands today. Examples: Limp Bizkit, Korn, Incubus...all three of these bands suck ass. You know why? It's because the Corporate executives want the look before the music. Back in the day man...it used to be the music before the look. That's why back in the day you had bands like Jimi Hendrix, Lep Zeppelin, The Clash, Crass...now there's is just shit out there. Punk has some pretty good new bands, but punk is a form of non-conformist music anyway. Bands who rage against the machine are cool bands. But bands today just suck ass. And it's all because of MTV and Corporate America. The Corporation made all the fans buy into the look and not the music. There's no emotion in music anymore...it's all just crap. The music industry is literally falling off a cliff...there is just no good music anymore...except for punk.

alamasare
08-15-2001, 11:15 PM
what about Tool or A perfect circle:)

Earl Grey
08-16-2001, 03:31 AM
...You can't force anyone to have good taste. The majority of people want 'wallpaper', a nice calming shade of institutional-green. It's no surprise to me that the current form of 'pop' music sucks: it normally does.
I'm an old fart. My son is 19 years old, for Gawd's sake!
What's weird to me, is that for a fleeting moment, when I was about 14, there was some REALLY cool music on the radio (there was quite a bit that sucked as well, but not as bad as right now: this is BAD!!!!!!!).
Be happy that you have good taste, that you are pissed at the current trend to be shallow, and be creative YOURSELF!
This is Your Time: if you have any talent for playing an instrument, then DO IT! That will make a greater impact than just getting pissed: If you write, then write a GREAT book. Don't waste your energy. BE the next great progressive artist, or if you aren't musical, be the next great promoter of new progressive music....You have 'piss & vinegar' in your veins, so you can do a lot to change things from "Fucked-up" to "Pretty damn cool"!
...Now, listen to your Grandpa! HAHA!
Have Fun! Yours, "E"

Powerslave
08-16-2001, 09:10 AM
>>>I truly believe that grunge and punk rock are the two true forms of rock in this world.
>>>And it's all because of MTV and Corporate America.

Is that a fact? Sure. I totally agree with you. MTV and Corp. America, along with the radio, have totally screwed new styles of music from being heard today.

But what puzzles me is, while you feel so strongly about the current state of music, you list grunge as one of the "true forms of rock." Now I like grunge, but grunge was just as corporate then as rap-rock is today. Taking the lead from a few independents--Nirvana, Pixies, pre-1989 bands, mostly--Corporate America quickly began looking for the next load of crap to compete with the originators. Bands like Bush, Oasis, even Pearl Jam, probably wouldn't have come into popular existence without an interest from their corporate sponsors. The only reason grunge existed is because the executives pulled their heads out of theirs asses and recognized what the people wanted for once. Their heads have been stuck up there ever since. But, if they had forced Consumer America to ignore grunge, they (we) would have, and Kurt Cobain would be smoking j's instead of shotgun barrels in his garage, wondering why Nirvana never got any farther than "Headbangers' Ball," which is where they first got national exposure.

Wait a minute! That can't be right! That show was on MTV! But... But... MTV's responsible for all the crap today, aren't they? Surely they are, but they also managed to wrench their noggin from their big, puckered, brown-eye long enough to listen to the people, also. So I don't know why you want to criticize those most responsible for your "true" form of rock. Remember--"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

All of us here know that progressive is the "true" form of rock, anyway!

alamasare
08-16-2001, 06:13 PM
AMEN BROTHER POWERSLAVE AMEN BROTHER GREY pop music has always been rather a pale form of music. There is however plenty of good music out there you just have to get off your moaning gripy ass and listen beyoud the top 40 or clasic rock stations to find it. Remember they didnt play Yes or King Crimson on top 40 radio 30 years ago and they rarely play them on clasic rock stations now. God save the internet

Anti-World
08-16-2001, 07:01 PM
Man...this board kicks ass! You guys responded back with some awesome arguments. I love that! I like getting the fact that I'm wrong shoved in my face. But my beliefs are my beliefs, and they will be around for awhile. But man...you guys kick ass! Thankx for all the great responses! But keep on posting...I love hearing what you all have to say!

Anti-World
08-16-2001, 07:03 PM
Thanx for the awesome post man! You kick ass!

alamasare
08-16-2001, 09:48 PM
ANTI YOU NEED TO TRY OUT SONME DAVE MATHEWS BAND STUFF FROM UNDER THE TABLE AND DREAMING OR BEFORE THESE CROWDED STREETS, HELL EVEN THE NEW STUFF AINT BAD. THIS MUSIC IS SOME OF THE BEST PLAYED STUFF I HAVE EVER HEARED.YOU MIGHT GIVE IT A TRY.
I AM A RECORDING MUSICIAN SO I UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM, BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF GUYS OUT THER STILL DOING IT RIGHT.
PEOPLE DONT $%#@ THINGS UP $%#@ING JERKS $%#@ THINGS UP THAT A SIMPLE FACT OF LIFE

FIRE
THE SUN IS WELL ASLEEP
MOON IS HIGH ABOVE
FIRE GROWS FROM THE EAST
HOW IS THIS
HATE SO DEEP

(DAVE MATHEWS BAND,THE LAST STOP, BEFORE THESE CROUDED STREETS)

Earl Grey
08-17-2001, 02:12 AM
...I know I've mentioned it elsewhere in AM, but 'Radiohead' is an amazing new band, I think every bit as talented as 'Floyd' when they were about to record 'Dark side': maybe even better...
There's always great stuff out there, but it usually wont come & bite your ass: the joy is in finding the great stuff BEFORE it hits (I saw Queen play a show at the tiny Santa Monica Civic, the tour for their 3rd album: when they hit, I felt a special kindred for that band).
Better yet, write your OWN great songs: somebody had better do it!

Even Flow
08-27-2001, 03:43 AM
That just proves that there are a lot of old school dinosaurs in the record industry that need to be weeded out........taking bands and making them a trend is pathetic......why can't music today be pure.....corporate america can't accept musician's who are REAL......they always think it's some angle.......but I agree music today sucks!!!!

TagoMago
09-01-2001, 09:17 PM
Nothing good ever came out of the mainstream. As far as modern music is concerned - I like very little of it. I do enjoy some newer groups, such as Radiohead, Tool, Sonic Youth & the Orb. That's about it though!

Lost Dreams
09-02-2001, 06:14 AM
If you want a clearcut story of the corporate rock world, listen to Shaming Of The True. I'll give my short take on his story:

Johnny Virgil has big dreams of a music career. He goes to the big city. He talks to the guy pumping gas at a Texaco. Johnny couldn't look him in the eye as he was a former 'I used to be in a band like you. We even made a record too'. Then he sang a bar that hardly rang a bell. Bad omen. He meets with the corporate men and they all have big visions. Then Johnny meets the *Imagemaker*. The *Best Laid Plans* says 'everyone must pay their fee. I made you and you made me. We made such a circus of the best laid plans'. Then the guy with the video idea. Yeah, HE's a visionary with the song *Certifiable Number One Smash*. Following that song is *Staring Into Nothing*. Listen to this one closely. He is saying how he's loved by the whole world, yet he's SO lonely. The rest of the cd shows us the latter days of his sadness and loss of himself and who he was. For a few samples of the songs and the full lyrics, go to http://www.kevingilbert.com Yes, the corporate rock world is a business. A machine that takes aspiring talent and turns it into so much fodder, only to shun it after the second album for 'the next big thing'. Sucks. Can WE change it? Maybe, but we have to make the almighty dollar worthless first. Highly unlikely. Will I continue to purchase and listen to progressive rock? You bet I will. Progressive rock music is such a great release for me. Commercial radio be damned. I think I'm finished. All comments welcomed. Thanks, DJGeorge.

Avian
09-02-2001, 11:06 AM
FYI, we played two Genesis covers from Kevin Gilbert during the last rebroadcast of the Gagliarchives.

Avian

Anti-World
09-02-2001, 07:41 PM
Money...the almighty dollar controls our whole lives. The rock world is controlled by the almighty dollar. The rock world is on a decent to despairity and desperation. I tell ya though...I've found peace in listening to old punk like The Ramones, The Clash, Crass, and The Cure. I do not listen to the radio that much anymore. It's all corporate bullshit. I must admit there are some pretty good new bands like Mudvayne. They kick pretty good ass for being a band in the corporate generation. It's hard to be an individual who appreciates good music. We're a dying breed, but I plan to keep my beliefs strong, and my head held high. And I plan to fight this corporate shit. Join me...we all will become one great progressive rock force!

Yesspaz
09-04-2001, 03:54 PM
Um, for the record, there was and is crappy and good music at every stage of history. Good 70s is most of the bands here, as well as Boston, Zeppelin, Allman Bros., etc. Bad music of the 70s - Chic, all disco, ...think, there's more...

Bad music today - teen power pop,
the derivative rap-metal bands - Korn, Bizkit
hip-hop

Good music today - the inventive rap-core/Hard core bands - Project 86, P.O.D., and above all, Strecth Arm Strong.

Other great music going on today - King's X, Stavesacre, Tool, Appleseed Cast, Jimmy Eat World, Radiohead, Pedro the Lion, Unwed Sailor.

Some of these you really have to look for, but that's what it's all about - a treasure hunt. Crap is everywhere.