Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2004, 07:45 AM

The Musical Box - Genesis cover band

They're doing the lamb tour. I'll probably try to catch them in NYC in December. It's fun.

http://www.themusicalbox.net/
Old 09-10-2004, 09:21 AM

yes...

the 12/19 Harisburg show is on my birthday....that or the Glenside (where's that?) ones are looking good....

(wondering if any PA/NJ moonies can make it)
Old 09-11-2004, 09:27 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: yes...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
the 12/19 Harisburg show is on my birthday....that or the Glenside (where's that?) ones are looking good....

(wondering if any PA/NJ moonies can make it)
I've already got tix for the Keswick Theater!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:59 PM

Anyone going on the 16th?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prythm
Anyone going on the 16th?
see other thread.....me on 18th vax on 17th

missing each other!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:09 PM

I was gonna try the 16th but i think its sold out. Enjoy the show and Happy Birthday!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:56 AM

Saturday and Monday

for me. Saturday's show was at the Keswick in Philadelphia (vax there the day before). Vax enjoyed it (see another post) except for people getting up and leaving and coming back.

That was the negative for me. These geeky no-life goobers yelling all the time are amusing at first, but can be a royal pain. The guy that yelled "32 doors" while the singer was telling about the song..I said back "thanks, man. I never knew how many doors there were, thanks for enlightening me" and then some guy yealls "rael is real" and I said "You're a d@@@". A bit out of line but so what. Also everyone yelling "knife"...uh wasn't on that tour! And the whistlers...aaaahhh!

I did enjoy the "We Can't Dance" request. I was commenting to a friend eariler that if I didn't hear anything off of ATTWT, I'd be pissed. And the obligatory "Free Bird" yell.

The band and production were outstanding - you never realize how really good the songs are when you're listening to the record. As was the case with the SEBTP show, I also never realized how much Mike Rutherford did.

The only musical drawback was the fade outs on a lot of the tunes. I understand that Genesis had some variation in their shows, and it is impossible to recreate. So the next best thing is to play it like the record. As long as you treat it like a production, it goes over great. These guys can play! The "Hackett" guy was a bit lax, but Banks and Rutherford didn't really give him much to do until W&W imho.

Tonight I see them at a added show in Baltimore. This will be at a club with limited seating (read: barstools). I'm interested to see how the stage show will look not being in a Theater. Hopefully the closeness will outweigh the production value of seeing it in a theater.

And I wish my wife could go. She's not really into any of this music but I think she'd like this one.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:19 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Martha (Mrs. VAXman), Kris, (My son) and myself arrived in Keswick at about 5:30pm and parked in the lot behind the Theater. We walked to the tavern across from the theater for some dinner and libations. After dinner, we hung at the bar until about the time the show was to start. I recognised a few faces from myriad other gigs while pouring back a few pints and chatted with them. About an hr. before the show George Roldan (ROSfest organizer) entered the tavern. He waved and immediately made his way around the bar to talk to me. We pured back a few Guinness. Chad Hutchinson (NEARfest) was also there. I talked with him briefly to outside the tavern on our way to the theater.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (TLLDOB) was executed well. I've seen TMB to Foxtrot and Selling ENgland By The Pound (SEBTP) so I knew what to expect in terms of performance quality. The set was spot on from what I've seen from pix and brief film footage of the original shows.
My son Kris didn't know what to expect and, of course, did not understand the double entendre of TLLDOB's tracks such as bits from Back In NYC through Carpet Crawlers but he still enjoyed it.

The only disappointment was with the attendees. People were up and down throughout the entire concert. I can understand a need to go to the toilet but there were crowds in the lobby making much noise throughout the gig.

There was a bit of a "wardrobe malfunction" during the Colony Of Slippermen. The "ballons" used during the "dock the dick" segment deflated prematurely. He was supposed to use these to create the stretching of the member noise and then pop the ballon when the member was segregated from its host... Oh well... still a great performance.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:04 PM

Lamb Lies Down....Again!

Saw the Musical Box for the 2nd time in 3 nights on Monday evening. I even skipped bowling night to do so, lol. Wish I hadn't gone out 4 nights in a row, there were lots of friends there but I mingled little, was/is quite tired. Was on my home turf, at a new club in town. Looks like they will have some nice shows.

Unlike the theater show, this was at a bar. Really laid out well - floor room and a bar off to the side, a lot of room for everything. Seating upstairs in the back - interesting arrangement. I stood on the 2nd floor and had a railing spot...so neat. I was about 25 feet above the keys and 5 feet back. We were almost on top of them, and right below the speaker. Having the sound rain down was unusual...VERY loud but nice.

The singer was in a lot better form than Saturday. He was awesome on Saturday, but spectacular last night. Must have been because it was the last night for awhile, I can't believe he can talk today the way he belted out the tunes. Fake Tony was so good. It's rare I can see the keys in detail, but being almost on top was enlightening. I was so impressed with the power and precision the band played.

Most of the crowd was overcome with disbelief, which made them not offensive. There were however, the usual aholes who feel that drawing attention to themselves is a birthright. It's OK with me to sing (although the Rush in Rio is at times unlistenable for that reason), and to be a bit mad, but to yell and over-emote is just wrong. Stay home!

Some of the pet peeves:

1) This guy buys his ticket, and hold up others in line (and will call) asking what it's like inside and having a Q and A with the employee. Uh Einstein, take six or seven steps and you'll know!

2) After the first few notes of the Lamb, this lady says "Ooh that's a good tune, glad they're playing it". No explanation here

3) The main goofball on the floor tries in vain three times to touch flesh with the singer, who is singing "Anyway" while lying down. Finally, fake Peter gets up and makes sure he slaps his hand.

4) Three gentlemen talking incessantly during the last two tunes. An yelling "yeah" over and over. Tuned them out the best I could.

Got to see all of the effects being set up...made it cheesy but very neat to see how things were done. We even could see behind the screen.

What a night. One of the top 15 or 20 unforgettable nights of music, it was that good. And being on time and playing straight through with no extended encore returns was just right.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Patron

More Box!

The Musical Box have tagged on some more dates in the US...

June 22 - June 25, 2005 at the Xanadu Theater in Atlantic City, NJ.

http://www.themusicalbox.net/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: