Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2003, 10:44 PM

Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers - from Wind And Wuthering - 1976

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) - from Selling England By The Pound - 1973

Squonk - A Trick Of The Tail - 1976
Old 05-05-2003, 10:53 AM

Wind and Wuthering is generally an underappreciated album. "Unquiet Slumbers" is a gorgeous track. Think I'll request it for later today
Old 05-06-2003, 03:31 AM
KeithieW

Wink Later Genesis.

Wind and wuthering is, for me, the last GREAT Genesis album.

The ones that follow have their moments of course, Burning Rope, Duke Suite, Abacab (especially "Live"), Home by the Sea and Domino for example.

By "We can't dance" I felt that Genesis albums were sounding more like Phil Collins' solo efforts and I rarely play any of the tracks on it. As for "Calling all Stations"........nah!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Wind and wuthering is, for me, the last GREAT Genesis album.
Agree with that Keith, I believe is better than ATOTT. Darker songs, harder sound and Steve sounds great.

But about later albums..........I can't listen to any one, not even ATTWT (which was the first Genesis album released in my country), I bought my vynil with hope and have it's almost new after 25 years.

Never bought another Genesis album, and the one I dislike more is ABACAB, never could understand that Genesis - Earth Wind & Fire mixture.

Iván
Old 05-06-2003, 11:02 PM

A few other later Genesis things

Fading Lights is a decent tune off "Dance". But that's it. I think Duke, with the exception of those 2 sappy Collins tunes, is very solid. Heathaze and Cul-De-Sac are especially good.

An annoying feature of the "Stations" CD is that the fade-outs are done really quick - I've never heard that done so abruptly before. And I doubt that I will again, since, I plan on never putting that CD back on.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:39 AM

Suppers' Ready (Seconds Out)
One for the Vine
Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos (Seconds Out)
Old 06-05-2003, 08:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to rushfan
Firth of Fifth
The Lamia
One For The Vine

Neil Peart 1987
Old 06-05-2003, 09:52 AM

Supper's Ready
Can Utility and the Coastliners
Firth of Fifth, or maybe something off The Lamb, I can't decide...
Old 06-07-2003, 08:06 PM

1. Suppers Ready
2. Cinema Show
3. Can-utility and coastliners
Old 06-08-2003, 06:15 PM

Although I think that Genesis peaked already with Foxtrot, I've noticed that I play W&W much more often than Lamb. To me [heresy alert! ] Lamb is just too bloated and it doesn't seem like a joint effort. It's Gabriel all over the place, just like Roger Waters is all over The Wall and Final Cut.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally posted by byzantium
To me [heresy alert! ] Lamb is just too bloated and it doesn't seem like a joint effort. It's Gabriel all over the place, just like Roger Waters is all over The Wall and Final Cut.
but, if I'm going to have someone all over the place, I'd much prefer Gabriel than Roger Waters, particularly the older (in age) and bitter Roger.

I agree that the Lamb is overrated, though I still think it's a great album - I just don't think it's head and shoulders above the rest of the old Genesis catalog, as many people seem to think. Foxtrot is probably my fave, and I've always had a weakness for Trespass...
Old 06-09-2003, 06:24 AM

opinion

Any double album seems bloated. Take each song on an individual basis and you may get a different view. Selling England is my favorite. Side 1 of Foxtrot is almost as good, but I'm not as crazy about Supper's Ready as others are. Although the surprise live version in 82 was cool - oh, to have Banks play acoustic again...
Old 06-09-2003, 11:22 AM

Rick and Roll said:
Quote:
Foxtrot is almost as good, but I'm not as crazy about Supper's Ready
I've always had problems choosing between Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, both are IMO the peak of Genesis.

But I agree with your point about Supper's Ready, even though is a great song and probably the best epic in prog' history, I still believe Can-Utility and the Coastliners is a better song, and highly underrated.

Some people get impressed with long epics, I like a song despite the lenght, some epics are great (like in this case), but sometimes a band can achieve the same success in 1/2 the time.

Progdirjim said:
Quote:
I've always had a weakness for Trespass...
Also agree with that, Trespass has the same dark atmosphere that Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot which I love so much.

Always thought Anthony Phillips was a name used by Steve Hackett . Trespass sounds more like a Genesis with Hackett album than SEBTP or ATOTT, don't ask me why, but that's what I feel.

Iván
Old 06-09-2003, 12:10 PM

1/2 the time

Actually in Supper's Ready, it was done in 9/8's the time!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:33 PM
KeithieW

Re: 1/2 the time

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Actually in Supper's Ready, it was done in 9/8's the time!
LOL @ Rick.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:57 PM

man, I am different

I just don't get Genesis. It seems like everyone generally puts Foxtrot up as the pinnacle of Genesis output. I own only one Genesis album - Foxtrot. I don't think it's very good. I don't get it..., what's the attraction? Supper's Ready is perhaps the most overrated epic in prog history, not the best (sorry Ivan). To me, Genesis is a sub-par prog band. They are the next level down from Yes, King Crimson, Floyd, Rush, Gentle Giant, and Oldfield. I know that I'm in an extreme minority here, and will be flamed shortly, but I don't care. I don't get it. I think it's that I'm a ROCKer first, who just happens to prefer prog. I like Guitars! as well as the keyboards. It always seemed to me that Genesis is a keyboard band first, guitar second.

Anyway, if Foxtrot is the pinnacle of Genesis output, then I'm saving my money and buying something else.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:21 PM

Re: man, I am different

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
I just don't get Genesis. It seems like everyone generally puts Foxtrot up as the pinnacle of Genesis output. I own only one Genesis album - Foxtrot. I don't think it's very good. I don't get it..., what's the attraction? Supper's Ready is perhaps the most overrated epic in prog history, not the best (sorry Ivan). To me, Genesis is a sub-par prog band. They are the next level down from Yes, King Crimson, Floyd, Rush, Gentle Giant, and Oldfield. I know that I'm in an extreme minority here, and will be flamed shortly, but I don't care. I don't get it. I think it's that I'm a ROCKer first, who just happens to prefer prog. I like Guitars! as well as the keyboards. It always seemed to me that Genesis is a keyboard band first, guitar second.

Anyway, if Foxtrot is the pinnacle of Genesis output, then I'm saving my money and buying something else.
No flame from me. Sounds like you own all the Genesis you need.

I'll put them a notch below Yes, and of course when I personally speak of "Genesis", I only refer to PG era, so it's comparing a historical band with one that is still going strong (though I'm sure that's another whole discussion).

KC it's hard to compare with anyone; they staked out their own corner of the genre. Not to mention that KC has actually been numerous bands over the years, making comparisons less than a straightforward task. Still, while there may be aspects of KC that have transcended what anyone else has done, period, if you want to compare Foxtrot era Genesis to KC of that time....
well I still can't. KC was intense magic live, that's for sure, and I think they could do things no other band could do. But to those of us that like the material, Genesis created something more than just superb rock music performance. But hey, it's not going to click with everyone. A lot of us who really like it probably heard it at a formative time for our musical tastes.

I think GG was a great band, I saw 'em live a slew of times. In fact, they started to seem a little stale, I think I saw them too many times in too short a time and they weren't growing. Anyway, IMO Foxtrot has greater "depth" for want of a better word than any of GG's best, and I liked them a lot. But Genesis created such a manifestation, and so expertly utilized their bag of tricks to do so, whereas I felt GG rarely went far beyond simply showing off their bag of tricks.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:45 PM

interesting

Yesspaz, I don't understand why you call yourself different - there's lots of people that don't like that kind of music. I do find it laughable that you pass Yes as off as some kind of guitar band, where they are definitely keyboard first. You must have been taking the pipe when Bruford toured with Genesis.

Gentle Giant is just a different animal. My favorite Giant tunes are when they rock (Glass House, Panurge) - but they have a nice blend.

I listen to a lot of heavier music, and I enjoy fusion-type music. I don't however, want to hear Genesis because they "Rock", just because of what they are.

As I've said, I'm not crazy about Supper's Ready. It's got issues.

I don't get the Oldfield reference. Taurus II is a fantastic piece of music, but except for other flashes of brilliance (Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, and especially Downwind with Gong), I do not see how his music is worthy of inclusion with those other bands.

It took me a LONG time to warm up to Floyd. It must be because everyone was shoving it down my throat. I am partial to WYWH and Animals, but not Dark Side of the Moon, or even the Wall for that matter.

I agree with Spedblavio about Crimson, and they still smoke live, but anything after Beat has been substandard for them. It's the same record over and over again. Then again, every 3 Crimson records are copies of each other (although you could clone Red and S&BB and that would be fine with me!). They shot their wad with Discipline - arguable one the greatest records ever made.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:34 AM

Well Yesspaz, we´re here to speak about music and surely we will disagree more than once and it's ok with me.

IMHO Early Genesis (until The Lamb or maybe to W&W) is the best progressive band in history.

Quote:
I like Guitars! as well as the keyboards. It always seemed to me that Genesis is a keyboard band first, guitar second.
Steve Hackett is the most underrated guitar player in history, many people doesn't notice him, because he blended his guitar with Tony's keyboard creating the atmospheric sound of Gabriel's Genesis. As a fact, great part of the synth sound is really done by Steve with his guitar, in a unique way that no other musician ever tried.

Maybe you should listen Steve's solo work to see what his capable of, give a try to Voyage of the Acolyte, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Tokyo Tapes or Live Archive (70, 80 and 90). I'm sure you'll change your opinion.

Lets see the band man by man compared with Yes :

I believe Gabriel is a better vocalist than Jon Anderson and Hackett is in the level of Steve Howe.

If I want to see a great solo concert I would go and see Wakeman or Emerson, they are in a higher level, but if I need the best keyboardist for a band, would hire Banks, his small ego (compared to Rick and Keith) let him give his best effort for the band.

Squire is far a better bass player than Rutherford, and Collins is probably under Bruford but over Alan White.

Well that's my opinion, now shoot me

Iván

PS: Sorry if I can't explain better my opinion, but my english is not good enough.

Last edited by ivan_2068 : 06-10-2003 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:37 AM

your English is fine...

great point about Hackett - the blend is what created the sound, until the Lamb, when he really started to branch out - The Lamia is a great example of this, even earlier with the awesome lead on Firth of Fifth.

I generally don't like to compare band members that way - Yesspaz doesn't like the music, not the individuals. However, if you do, only Banks would be in my opinion "better", and that's debatable, especially when you throw Pat Moraz into the equation.

I completely disagree with Bruford "probably" over Collins. Although Collins is underrated and has proved his worth, especially with Brand X, Bruford is head and shoulders above 99% of the drummers. His work solo, with Kazumi, Earthworks, Crimson, etc. proves that he was wasting away with Yes.

Gabriel is not even close to Anderson - Gabriel has a certain style. I can't believe how well Anderson sings even now - I think there's an alien inside of him.

And I agree - Squire is the MAN.

That being said, I like both bands about the same (Yes probably a tiny bit better). So comparisons really prove little.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: