Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > The Fusion Reactor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses
The Fusion Reactor #134 - Dinosaurs & Such

At the boy scout meeting the other night, I happened to mention my radio show to a couple of the kids. One suggested that I do a show about dinosaurs. I think he thought it was a talk show where I could discuss dinosaurs or something like that. But I straightened him out. It's an interesting theme. This show is a bit different. So... Vincent. This show's for you. It's also one of the silliest shows I've done in quite some time, especially due to my sound effect being on vacation this week. Who knew sound effects took vacations? But there it was, right there in its contract. It just hadn't taken one up until now. But, now it's off for some kind of sound effect family reunion in New Zealand. Or was that Iceland? Now I forget.

King Crimson - Dinosaur (6:38)
It only seemed logical to include this one. Great song. It could have been a hit, I imagine. Except it's over 6 minutes, which is of course a no-no. And it's not all in 4/4, which also disqualifies it. And there's that string-like section in the middle, they'd have to cut that. And none of the members look anything like anyone you normally see in a music video. Maybe if they used too much lighting to soften Robert's features it would work. But wait, Robert prefers to be in the dark on stage. But that might work too. Or just use claymation.

Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - Dinosaurs Theme (3:35)
Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - I'm a Pterodactyl (3:06)
These songs are from different albums but perhaps Birdsongs have a certain feel to all their Dinosaur songs. These two certainly do. It almost could have been an entire Birdsongs show, but that would have been going overboard, don't you think?

John McLaughlin - Dragon Song (4:15)
John McLaughlin - Don't Let the Dragon Eat Your Mother (5:17)
Now these two are on the same album. Jazz/rock or fusion, whatever you want to call this, it's good stuff.

Erik Norlander - Neurosaur (5:52)
I'm not even going to pretend to know what a Neurosaur is. But it sure sounds neat. Possible suggestion: Tarkus is a Neurosaur?

James, Nell - Fossil (4:33)
Apparently Nell is only 17, but obviously she has an appreciation for prog. See, there is hope!

Electrocution 250 - Funky Lizard (4:24)
Thanks to Franky for introducing me to these guys. This song in particular fits in well with the jazzy piano. Oh yeah, and you know that Dinosaur means "terrible lizard," right? I left out the King Crimson song, some might think I took the "terrible" part too literally. Not me, I love that one. I wonder if it in some small way inspired the next one.

Phish - Colonel Forbin/Lizards/Narration (10:00)
Yes, the recording leaves much to be desired. It's from a very old cassette recording Trey made for his senior thesis. I don't think the narration was ever done exactly like this again. Could be wrong, it's happened before. Once or twice.

Z-Axis - (She Had To Go) Live With the Lizards (3:46)
And things are actually better for her there. OK I really have no idea what to say about this song.

Gambale, Frank - Loch Ness Monster (5:15)
Mark pointed out that this has something of a Schon & Hammer feel to it. He's right. Now you're going to ask me who the keyboard player is, aren't you? I forget. Let's see, Frank is playing the guitar, of course, and the keyboards are played by... Hans Zemhuelen. No, I don't know who that is. But now I'd like to.

Okumoto, Ryo - Godzilla vs. King Ghidarah (7:18)
Neat stuff from the Spock's Beard keyboard player. Again, it's jazzy enough that I can cheat it over onto the fusion side, like I did with the Electrocution 250.

Gongzilla - Gongzilla (6:36)
Gongzilla - Gongzilla Dilemma (5:17)
These are also from the same album, 1995's Suffer. Excellent stuff. Anything with Allan Holdsworth involved usually is. Except without the "usually."

Soniq Theater - Lizards and Wizards (3:49)
Nope, don't know much about these guys (this guy?) or this song. Definitely keyboard-dominated, but not the work of Hans Zemhuelen.

Ritual - Dinosaur Spaceship (5:59)
Is this band named after the last part in the Tales From Topographic Oceans suite? Am I the only one whose first thought that was upon hearing of the band? Perhaps I should get out more.

Hancock, Herbie - Chameleon (14:42)
In case you didn't notice, I'm out of dinosaurs for the rest of the show. Now we have smaller lizards, some of them not so terrible at all. Apparently this lizard can dance, 'cuz he sure is funky.

Sonic Youth - Skink (4:12)
A song where the lyrics and the title have no relation whatsoever. But Kim's vocals are bearable for a change. Mostly.

De Fenestra - Abrasive Shuffle of the Scarlet Tortoise (6:44)
To me it sounds like it should be the title to a Frank Zappa instrumental. But alas, FZ is no longer with us, so I'm glad someone was able to pick up the torch for him. Not that the music is very Zappa-esque. Well, maybe a little. I'd go more with P.M. Gong myself. Not a lizard. I know.

Passport - Snake (4:39)
Also not a lizard.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:03 AM

Re: The Fusion Reactor #134 - Dinosaurs & Such

Great theme (and tunes) there moses! Hats off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Possible suggestion: Tarkus is a Neurosaur?
Funny, but I think "Destroyosaur" fits Tarkus more.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 AM

another great show! Could you post all of times you're on (both stations)? I can't get to the Moon much so maybe I can get bits and pieces (or in this case dinosaur droppings)...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 AM

Right... Let's see, I'm on Aural Moon at 10 AM Wednesday and 9 PM Monday, and ProgPositivity at 9PM Tuesday and 2PM Wednesday.

I finally corrected the times on the blog... http://fusionreactor.blogspot.com/

So actually the Monday night playing is your last chance to hear it because on Tuesday I put the new show up.

Last edited by moses : 02-28-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Wink Re: The Fusion Reactor #134 - Dinosaurs & Such

No Jurassic shift ( Ozric tentacles) Moses ?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM

Guilty. Should have thought of that one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: